David Hale ACC preview

Advertisement
I will say while I think ABJ has slightly better long speed and coverage skills down the field than Ivey does, Ivey always showed more physicality and strength.

Ivey fits better for the man, bump and run stuff that T-Rob likes.
Scheme change is a factor that I hadn't considered. And that maybe some of Ivey's issues will be less problematic in a different scheme. But boy he just does not make plays on the ball even when in position.

Scheme change is a factor that I hadn't considered. And that maybe some of Ivey's issues will be less problematic in a different scheme. But boy he just does not make plays on the ball even when in position.
And I do think Ivey has ball skills, it’s just a matter of concentration or anticipation needing to be improved.

At the very least we saw ABJ drop a couple gimmes and I don’t think one really has the edge over the other there.

I go with the same starting cb's except I would have Couch as the nickel and Ivey as the first corner off the bench so long as Blades is healthy and ready to roll.
Safeties will almost certainly be the returning starters. What will be interesting as well is whether we start with a Striker (Frierson) or a wlb (Smith). Both were good and it seems wrong to keep either one off the field.
I think the Bama game is where it will be all hands on deck. We will need Blades to be ready as the 4th CB and we will need Frierson and Smith ready for WLB/Striker matchups and subs. The chess match between Manny/Shoop vs Bill O'Brien will be something to see.

Cant say it enough but T-Rob drools at the thought of what Ivey can do in his scheme so maybe we are missing something here. Would love for him to turn into this "Al Harris" type bump and run, man coverage maniac overnight like T-Rob thinks he can become! lol.

Advertisement
I hate UNC...but if we're fair we've already seen what Howell can do without his weapons...cue up the OB game vs A&M...they'll have a deadly OFF this year as well. I

Side note: I do think we get them this year though and break the 2 game win streak

This is why we brought carter back... If he wants to make some money at football his best shot might be taking Howell out of the game well after the whistle blows. I would pay good money for that NFT... I would pay good money for that Tshirt. Seems like a NIL deal just waiting for him to get rich off of.

And I do think Ivey has ball skills, it’s just a matter of concentration or anticipation needing to be improved.

At the very least we saw ABJ drop a couple gimmes and I don’t think one really has the edge over the other there.

This is a good topic for discussion. Just a guess here, but I think Ivey’s issue might be lack of confidence.

It’s a somewhat of a leap of faith to go for the ball, and I’ve seen it several times with him he goes for the sure thing, the tackle after the ball is caught - it looks like he’s in position to intercept or bat it down.

It’s like he’ll give up the catch but not the touchdown type of mentality. Has a seemingly risk averse type of mentality.

Just one possibility as food for thought.

This is a good topic for discussion. Just a guess here, but I think Ivey’s issue might be lack of confidence.

It’s a somewhat of a leap of faith to go for the ball, and I’ve seen it several times with him he goes for the sure thing, the tackle after the ball is caught - it looks like he’s in position to intercept or bat it down.

It’s like he’ll give up the catch but not the touchdown type of mentality. Has a seemingly risk averse type of mentality.

I think this is a fair assessment. To some degree going for the ball is accepting that if you miss the ball you might just give up a bigger play than if you just play the man and make the tackle. And that is confidence. Its like the difference between swinging for home runs and swinging for singles. THe home run swing also leads to a lot of strike outs, but in the end the run production is higher swinging for home runs and accepting the higher strike out rate. But again, that is confidence.
hopefully T-Rob has instilled the confidence in Ivey that going for the home run when you are in position is the right play; not safe or dangerous, but right play.

Advertisement
Ive been on record in numerous threads saying this will be the best secondary we have had since 2005. I still stand by that. Everyone else sees it but our own fans...Ivey is the only weak link and T-Rob said he has the talent to have made All SEC last season. Bolden and Stephenson have All ACC/All American level potential. And if GHall gets it together.. WATCH OUT. Couch and Blades will also be big contributors along with AWilliams.
blades is starting oppo of stevenson. this whole ivey is starting thing came from no where blades will be CB2

Starting secondary, including striker, game one?

Ivey, Stevenson, Blades (health status?), Bolden, Gurvan (?), Striker Frierson.

A lot can change between now and the first week in September, obviously summer/fall practice will determine starters/injuries, etc. etc.

So since the defensIve backfield has been a big topic of this thread, was wondering what anyone else’s thoughts were regarding who they would project to be the starters in the defensive backfield.

D-line is another question for another post.
I go with the same starting cb's except I would have Couch as the nickel and Ivey as the first corner off the bench so long as Blades is healthy and ready to roll.
Safeties will almost certainly be the returning starters. What will be interesting as well is whether we start with a Striker (Frierson) or a wlb (Smith). Both were good and it seems wrong to keep either one off the field.
Blades should be ready game one

ill have to agree with you on this one he hesitates jumping the ball and then misses you can see it. has to be mental because he's in great position just has to trust his instincts

Advertisement
Surprised Hall is a consensus starter opposite Bubba. I think Avante wins that job in the fall. It’s possible hall gets the nod for the Bama game based on experience but I see Avante emerging.

Would mean we have a 3 and out to the first round on our hands. Would be nice but I don’t see it. Bubba is a **** of a player.

Cant say it enough but T-Rob drools at the thought of what Ivey can do in his scheme so maybe we are missing something here. Would love for him to turn into this "Al Harris" type bump and run, man coverage maniac overnight like T-Rob thinks he can become! lol.
If I recall correctly, when Ivey committed back in 2018 class South Carolina was his # 2 school so T Rob is probably excited to coach a kid he missed out on 4 cycles ago.

If I recall correctly, when Ivey committed back in 2018 class South Carolina was his # 2 school so T Rob is probably excited to coach a kid he missed out on 4 cycles ago.
Ivey and Hall have flashed here and could blossom with new coaching. The flip side of that coin is that Stevenson, Avantae and Jwill are here to eat their lunch. We finally have enough depth everywhere to breed some real competition. Camp is going to be awesome.

Advertisement
Surprised Hall is a consensus starter opposite Bubba. I think Avante wins that job in the fall. It’s possible hall gets the nod for the Bama game based on experience but I see Avante emerging.

Avante is definitely the wildcard due to his major talent, but my train of thought is he has yet to even play, on special teams, and last year he was just recovering from whatever it was he had. I don’t think he ever even suited up. He was out all last year.

So to me he’s just an unknown right now as far as whether he will be ready. And I guess I’m a little conservative as far as the safety position for someone that hasn’t played at the college level yet, he makes one mistake and it’s six points. A couple of mistakes in a game and you’re talking 2 touchdowns. But, physically, I think he’s the most talented of all the safeties, and maybe even the corners.

I think they lean on the experience most likely.. Seniority unfortunately.. Avante would have to have a rousseau like impact and maybe he could wrestle the starting spot by midseason.. Opening game against bama, ehh.. They gonna go with guys with many starts

I'm bullish on our secondary after spring. They were the strength of the defense last year and we bring back six upperclassmen.

These are our Top 10 DBs, with blue chip players (four star or above) in bold:

Tyrique Stevenson
DJ Ivey
Al Blades
Te'Cory Couch
Isaiah Dunson

Bubba Bolden
Gurvan Hall
Avantae Williams
James Williams
Kamren Kinchens
Not sure Balom would agree with that top 10. Wasn’t he hurt in the spring? Thought I read that. Will be interesting to see how time is allotted.

Avante is definitely the wildcard due to his major talent, but my train of thought is he has yet to even play, on special teams, and last year he was just recovering from whatever it was he had. I don’t think he ever even suited up. He was out all last year.

So to me he’s just an unknown right now as far as whether he will be ready. And I guess I’m a little conservative as far as the safety position for someone that hasn’t played at the college level yet, he makes one mistake and it’s six points. A couple of mistakes in a game and you’re talking 2 touchdowns. But, physically, I think he’s the most talented of all the safeties, and maybe even the corners.

I think they lean on the experience most likely.. Seniority unfortunately.. Avante would have to have a rousseau like impact and maybe he could wrestle the starting spot by midseason.. Opening game against bama, ehh.. They gonna go with guys with many starts
Great points and you guys are likely correct.

I can’t remember but didn’t Avante run with the ones on D in the spring game? Bubba didn’t play and he has one safety spot on lock so I guess it doesn’t mean anything but I also think manny likes showing recruits that they can get early pt. Starter or no we will see a lot of 15 on D this year IMO.

Advertisement
Back