David Coburn, FSU AD. Speaks

Advertisement
FSU needs the booster support, because they can't afford it on their own. This is just more ineptitude from FSU. Let me ask, what's going to happen when the next coach fails? This win at all costs has now caused some weird form of derangement among FSU fans and boosters. This isn't going to end well for them. The CULTURE is broken, and this is just more proof of that.
FSU tried to be SEC without SEC booster money or commitment. I remember they started losing money on all those bowl games because their fans got tired of shelling out $$ for meaningless bowl games without frequent NC shots. School had to eat the unused ticket cost. They at least sole Rapist for Bama -- wonder what that cost.

AD is a pencil-neck bureaucrat trying to thread the needle, talking tough but knowing at the end of the day he needs booster money. If you haven't figured by now, FSU has been trending a decade or so towards a ****-show overseen by political hacks in Tallahassee.

I don’t think I have heard that before. The boosters part.
They privatized...now they can keep bags and something like the Jameis incident under wraps:

"Florida State University’s Board of Trustees voted Friday to establish a new organization that’ll run the school’s athletic department: The Florida State University Athletics Association. According to the Orlando Sentinel, FSU boasted that the new organization would “streamline the relationship” between the athletics department and boosters, and if that sounds shady as ****, it’s not even the half of it. The move will privatize FSU’s athletics department—essentially giving it all the benefits of being both a private corporation, including shielding it from public scrutiny—while still operating on behalf of a taxpayer-funded institution. Florida State is expecting the changes to take effect by the fall.

Florida State’s privatization is far from the first in Florida, as schools like the University of Florida and University of Central Florida have been benefitting for years from a state law that allows them to classify their athletics programs as “direct-support organizations”—essentially, a private, non-profit corporation separate from the university. In Florida State’s case, this change feels especially egregious in light of a parade of recent scandals and controversies at the school, all of which deserve to be further explained and understood through public record requests. With this new privatization, FSU’s athletics department will be able to decline any public record requests it doesn’t want to answer, taking formerly public records away from outsiders.

Florida State gets these new privileges without one big drawback that usually goes with them—the athletic department still will be subject to an immunity clause that limits any jury judgements or settlements to just $200,000. Anything higher would have to be approved by the state legislature, because it’d be paid by the taxpayers. Obviously, that’s not a perk a private corporation normally enjoys.

That minuscule limit came into play earlier this decade, to the benefit of UCF’s athletic association, after Ereck Plancher collapsed and died during a football practice in 2008. In 2011, a jury awarded Plancher’s family $10 million, but after the organization appealed all the way to the Florida Supreme Court, they didn’t have to pay more than $200,000.

Under this arrangement, not only would Florida State’s athletic leadership not have to be transparent in the event of a scandal or tragedy—similar to the way Maryland was held accountable after the death of Jordan McNair—but there also would be an artificial cap on the judicial consequences for their actions. Florida’s not the only state where athletic departments have found ways to operate outside of public oversight—Georgia and Pennsylvania are two others—but given how little reason there is to trust any college athletic department, it’s disturbing that the trend is moving towards more secrecy, not less."

Advertisement
Boosters ... another term for Tallahassee lobbyists ..

Corrupt state politicians will get lobbyists to fund that buyout.

He had a presser and said the the decision would be made by the president, himself AND the boosters as the boosters will be paying the money. This all after a search firm is engaged. I don’t think I have heard that before. The boosters part.
Wonder if Taggert could bring a tortious interference claim against boosters who promised inducements before he was fired.

Advertisement
This is disgusting & tragic. Every parent whose kid is considering Florida State and others with like outrageous policy should know it before signing on.
Capping payment after a death or catastrophic injury at $200,000, are you kidding me? The same ****** place that's about to pay a glorified PE teacher close to $18 million to go away? This is beyond crazy.

Florida State gets these new privileges without one big drawback that usually goes with them—the athletic department still will be subject to an immunity clause that limits any jury judgements or settlements to just $200,000. Anything higher would have to be approved by the state legislature, because it’d be paid by the taxpayers. Obviously, that’s not a perk a private corporation normally enjoys.

That minuscule limit came into play earlier this decade, to the benefit of UCF’s athletic association, after Ereck Plancher collapsed and died during a football practice in 2008. In 2011, a jury awarded Plancher’s family $10 million, but after the organization appealed all the way to the Florida Supreme Court, they didn’t have to pay more than $200,000.

Under this arrangement, not only would Florida State’s athletic leadership not have to be transparent in the event of a scandal or tragedy—similar to the way Maryland was held accountable after the death of Jordan McNair—but there also would be an artificial cap on the judicial consequences for their actions. Florida’s not the only state where athletic departments have found ways to operate outside of public oversight—Georgia and Pennsylvania are two others—but given how little reason there is to trust any college athletic department, it’s disturbing that the trend is moving towards more secrecy, not less."

Having all those spoons in the soup can lead to a home run or a **** disaster.
If the booster base gets desperate for kids they might get ole miss sloppy.

Said they want a coach to take them to championship.

Sounds like Bob Stoops or Meyer.

You don’t spend 20 mil buying your coach out and talk championship and then hire Mark Stoops

meyer isnt going there. bob stoops would be LOL of a hire considering campbell and rhule prolly have better futures. i think itll be mark stoops

With the boosters heavily involve it probably going to be a big name since they are willing to pony up the contract.

Honestly, it was foolish to think that FSU fans/boosters were going to let FSU sink for a long time like ours did. If FSU falls out of grace it won't be because they gave the keys to a Al Golden type at least not anymore.

Advertisement
With the boosters heavily involve it probably going to be a big name since they are willing to pony up the contract.

Honestly, it was foolish to think that FSU fans/boosters were going to let FSU sink for a long time like ours did. If FSU falls out of grace it won't be because they gave the keys to a Al Golden type at least not anymore.

so theyll just go the route we did and hire a coach who left bc of current day recruiting and health implications.

So basically the inmates are running the asylum.

oh, not really. Money talks. And when this kind of money is involved usually those spending it want a decent return on their investment.

Advertisement
oh, not really. Money talks. And when this kind of money is involved usually those spending it want a decent return on their investment.

They also want the power that comes with it. If this is true, giving that kind of leverage to a booster club is a recipe for disaster.

He had a presser and said the the decision would be made by the president, himself AND the boosters as the boosters will be paying the money. This all after a search firm is engaged. I don’t think I have heard that before. The boosters part.
You pony up 20 million for a buyout you get some say in the next coach.

I can't understand why any decent established coach looks at THIS **** show and says yeah, sign me up, I want to work for the Seminole Boosters. Plenty of good high paying opportunities every year, after all.

Advertisement
Back