Dave Feeley UM Strength Coach WQAM Interview

Advertisement
I have heard the phrase, "Bloody training makes for bloodless combat."

But still, training is good, but sometimes you'll have to make a judgement call outside of your scope of training.

During ABGD training at Ft Dix, they would always push "the more you sweat during peace time, the less you bleed during war time"...I'm sure the phrase wasn't originally coined in NJ, but I've always loved it.

Advertisement
During ABGD training at Ft Dix, they would always push "the more you sweat during peace time, the less you bleed during war time"...I'm sure the phrase wasn't originally coined in NJ, but I've always loved it.
Heard this one the most

Advertisement
......** man, he said "Don't rise to the occasion, fall back on your training". Al Golden quoted that ** like 20 times. I know it's just BS quotes but i think it's a ******* stupid quote.

It's a complete contradiction to "Big time players make big time plays in big time games".
Truthfully, if Golden had a defensive coordinator ala Manny Diaz his tenure here would’ve been very different

The problem with the quote is it's distorted from the original and muddies the message. The quote should be - "We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training." I agree with lots in the thread, it's not about rising to the occasion, it's about when the going gets tough you rely on your training and muscle memory so that you can react quickly through muscle memory without thought slowing you down. And as a lot of have said about it, I had a coach (and now how I coach) say "You practice this hard so that the real game becomes easy. You've already seen it and done it, your body will know what to do when the time comes."

......** man, he said "Don't rise to the occasion, fall back on your training". Al Golden quoted that ** like 20 times. I know it's just BS quotes but i think it's a ******* stupid quote.

It's a complete contradiction to "Big time players make big time plays in big time games".
IMO, it's actually not a contradiction. I believe it's meant to say the same thing if properly quoted. Big time players make big time plays in big time situation because they're not afraid when the lights come on. I like a song by a group called Tool named Lateralus and chorus of the song goes like this -

Over thinking, over analyzing, separates the body from the mind
Withering my intuition, leaving opportunities behind

Over thinking and worrying about the magnitude of the situation slows you down. A highly trained player doesn't need to think, he can rely on his intuition and anticipate. A big time player makes big time plays in big time situations because he's not slowed down by thought, his body already knows what to do.
"Fall" is the problem word. It sounds disparaging but isn't. A highly trained player(or warrior) isn't falling to his training. He's highly trained(practiced) and excels because of it. Of course, if you're not highly trained "fall" becomes the truth.
It's why we hated D'OhNo's defense, too much thinking and not enough players making plays.

Advertisement
IMO, it's actually not a contradiction. I believe it's meant to say the same thing if properly quoted. Big time players make big time plays in big time situation because they're not afraid when the lights come on. I like a song by a group called Tool named Lateralus and chorus of the song goes like this -

Over thinking, over analyzing, separates the body from the mind
Withering my intuition, leaving opportunities behind

Over thinking and worrying about the magnitude of the situation slows you down. A highly trained player doesn't need to think, he can rely on his intuition and anticipate. A big time player makes big time plays in big time situations because he's not slowed down by thought, his body already knows what to do.
"Fall" is the problem word. It sounds disparaging but isn't. A highly trained player(or warrior) isn't falling to his training. He's highly trained(practiced) and excels because of it. Of course, if you're not highly trained "fall" becomes the truth.
It's why we hated D'OhNo's defense, too much thinking and not enough players making plays.
There is some truth to what you are saying, but the reality is coaches are motivators and communicators, so they’re stuck with the words they use. When their words marry up to concerns about them that are already out there, it can destroy credibility. Remember Howard Dean’s awkward shout at a presidential primary debate back in ‘00 or whenever that was? For anyone else, it would have been insignificant — because it was insignificant — but for Dean it fused with the sense that that’s who he really was, and so marked and tarnished his brand.

That’s the deal with Alfraud Gluten’s comment. Sure, he meant it differently. But he was killing the program with his read and react (don’t just do something ... stand there!) defense, that his comment came across as said instead of as intended. Remember, he is also the author of the ‘cheeseburger’ analogy. He really did want kids to be ordinary.

The best quote I can recall on the topic that could make sense of your comment and Gluten’s is the following: “Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they can’t get it wrong.” Gluten was possibly telling the guys to be professionals (fall back on training and you can’t fail). But then he didn’t treat them as professionals (ice cream socials). And of course they are not professionals. They are amateurs. So they do have to rise to the occasion.

Last edited:
Advertisement
There is some truth to what you are saying, but the reality is coaches are motivators and communicators, so they’re stuck with the words they use. When their words marry up to concerns about them that are already out there, it can destroy credibility. Remember Howard Dean’s awkward shout at a presidential primary debate back in ‘00 or whenever that was? For anyone else, it would have been insignificant — because it was insignificant — but for Dean it fused with the sense that that’s who he really was, and so marked and tarnished his brand.

That’s the deal with Alfraud Gluten’s comment. Sure, he meant it differently. But he was killing the program with his read and react (don’t just do something ... stand there!) defense, that his comment came across as said instead of as intended. Remember, he is also the author of the ‘cheeseburger’ analogy. He really did want kids to be ordinary.

The best quote I can recall on the topic that could make sense of your comment and Gluten’s is the following: “Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they can’t get it wrong.” Gluten was possibly telling the guys to be professionals (fall back on training and you can’t fail). But then he didn’t treat them as professionals (ice cream socials). And of course they are not professionals. They are amateurs. So they do have to rise to the occasion.
I agree with you 100% I think Gorlden's problem was he didn't get what he was saying. He was just throwing out sayings. It seemed like he wanted players to think and then react (like you're saying about him) and that just doesn't work at the speed these kids need to play. That's the difference between our current TFL defense vs his make the play after a 5 yard gain. You have to let big time players make big time plays. Practice them til they get it right and then turn them the **** loose and trust you prepared them correctly.

I said the same thing when I heard that. It made me think of what Golden said 😳😂😂😂😂😂🧐 sheeeeiiiiit

Advertisement
Back