Official Daryl Porter, Jr. enters Portal (Commits)

So if he grew one inch in the couple years since HS, he'd be 5'10 or 5'11
GIF by Achievement Hunter

You might be right.

Advertisement
These comments discussing his height are cracking me up. What did you expect? Projected 1st round, prototype NFL-Patrick Petersen types just sitting in the portal? It reminds me of the Shannon years when we allegedly refused to recruit corners who were on the shorter side. Who cares whether he's 5'9" or 6'1" or anything in between? I doubt anyone here has watched a lick of this kid's play at WVU. He's here. He's on board. Let him compete and it'll shake itself out.

So portal at CB: we may or may not have passed on the 'Bama kid that went to Miss. St.; and missed on the Oregon kid DJ James (?) that chose Auburn. Similar size-wise to Porter. Porter with more remaining eligibility. Setting aside the 'chess not checkers' aspect of this take, how does Porter stack up compared to other portal prospects at CB?

Advertisement
Yeah I’m done here, Nesta sucks huh? Y’all are ridiculous
I rarely agree with you but I'm with you on this...

These dudes are some weird *** miserable motha ****azzz.

If a player isn't an all American they suck. Simple as that.

These cats have no clue how to evaluate talent or lack thereof.

No clue how to look at a players physical attributes and see if he's being put in the best position to succeed by his coaches before casting judgment.

Then the fact they call themselves "fans" is the worst part about it.

Nesta already spoke on CIS so we know all them boys be reading what the fans think of them.

It really sucks knowing you've had no leadership and the coaches have left you out to dry only to go check and see what the fans think and they're all " fuq his fat ***.. he trash"

Blades gets sick as **** and had to fight for his health and comes here to read fans shytting on em...

Smfh...

I will always be hard on coaches... coaches get 90% of my criticism.

It's their job to turn **** to sugar. So get it done.

Never going to **** on players our coaches recruited and begged to come here but couldn't squeeze the potential out of them.

Never would I blame or condemn a player for that

He's next best choice was ASU which is a sinking ship, while not doing **** at Miami, so how is my opinion ridiculous? Good players are in the NFL at this point of their careers or transferring to a better situation. He's going backwards, and it isn't because he's really good...
Go listen to King and Ragone’s podcast with Nesta EP. he basically EXPLAINS, why he decided to go to ASU and not a (in your opinion) better program

These comments discussing his height are cracking me up. What did you expect? Projected 1st round, prototype NFL-Patrick Petersen types just sitting in the portal? It reminds me of the Shannon years when we allegedly refused to recruit corners who were on the shorter side. Who cares whether he's 5'9" or 6'1" or anything in between? I doubt anyone here has watched a lick of this kid's play at WVU. He's here. He's on board. Let him compete and it'll shake itself out.
All things being equal I'll take 6'1" over 5'9", especially when looking for a CB to start outside, potentially/at times/often on an island. Opponents can exploit mismatches for short yardage pickups to keep the chains moving and in the redzone off the top of my head. So in that respect, given the perceived need, this take is interesting. Yes, there have been effective smaller-type corners like Samuels at FSU (?) on the outside, and there have been Trajan Bandy types who were better suited as a Nickel cb. So as you said, we'll see, but an interesting take with potential future ramifications in more ways than one.

Go listen to King and Ragone’s podcast with Nesta EP. he basically EXPLAINS, why he decided to go to ASU and not a (in your opinion) better program
In my opinion? Lol. I don't care what his reasons for going to ASU are. At the end, he didn't have too many better options.

Advertisement
It's amazing there are people who seem to think Porter must only be 5'9" because he measured 5'9" in high school. Apparently they think all growth stop
at HS graduation
Have you seen him in person or going off hearsay? He's stretching with 5'9 Kahlil Herbert on that twitter clip both look very close to the same height to me....

Advertisement
So how many years of eligibility and when can he join the team since classes already started ?

Advertisement
All things being equal I'll take 6'1" over 5'9", especially when looking for a CB to start outside, potentially/at times/often on an island. Opponents can exploit mismatches for short yardage pickups to keep the chains moving and in the redzone off the top of my head. So in that respect, given the perceived need, this take is interesting. Yes, there have been effective smaller-type corners like Samuels at FSU (?) on the outside, and there have been Trajan Bandy types who were better suited as a Nickel cb. So as you said, we'll see, but an interesting take with potential future ramifications in more ways than one.
Well, sure, man. I want prototype NFL-size players all over my roster too but that's quite the ask. This is Mario's 1st offseason. We have some depth and injury concerns at CB. Our best returning CB (Stevenson) had shoulder issues throughout the season. Shoulder issues linger. It may be an issue this year too. Blades had the heart issue a couple years ago and sports hernia last year. He barely played.

Beggars can't be choosers. We need depth. From all reports, it seems Porter was one of the better CB targets in the portal and we landed him. And oddly, the sentiment amongst a few doesn't seem to be satisfaction but rather lamentation that he's not 6'0".

Advertisement
Back