Confirmed Darrell Jackson hits the portal

Advertisement
I feel like that's my goal too each cycle load up with as many blue chip guys as possible and maybe at least 3 to 5 of those guys turn into 1st round types or close by the time they leave, we do that each year that's how you get those loaded full of depth old miami teams. And of course hitting on the QB evals too like you said
Yea and players that are basically fillers look better because of the monsters playing beside them. NFL factory teams like bama have busts because kids look great next to those monsters in cfb. U get the meat on the roster keep adding and u are cooking with gas eventually.

So here’s where I stand on white chocolate.

I’ve been on record to routinely clown his corny ***. His performance against us doesn’t change that. His performance as a whole this season, does (in a sense). Anybody not acknowledging that isn’t looking at the full picture.

Norvell has excelled in opening drive game planning and preparation. As someone who considers themselves a pretty successful sports bettor, one of the small trends I picked up on early (and was discussed on this board at length in multiple threads) was his ability to script an opening-drive score. Did it against Clemson, Wake, Us - it was actually very profitable to zone in on early team total overs. I can acknowledge that he also has developed Jordan Travis into a dynamic quarterback. He knows Jordan is limited with his arm and is probably one of the top five runners at the position in college football. He’s not doing anything complex or cute - he tailors the game-plan to those exact traits. Sprinkle in some misdirection in the passing game to help create wider windows and capitalize on college kids and the frequency in which they fall for bait, and you have an explosive and difficult offense to contain.

Finally, his evaluations of talent have been nearly pristine. Not high school, but portal guys. Everyone is sick of hearing it (including me), so there’s no point in regurgitating the numerous home runs he’s hit.

All this to say, I still am meh on him. He’s showing signs of progress, and honestly…they should win 9+ games next season or it’s a failure. But there’s still alarming question marks that remain. He’s still an underwhelming high school recruiter. He’s not personable, he’s awkward, and he’s banking on his portal evaluations panning out every single year until he establishes a lengthy period of success on the field. Not even Saban hits on every portal guy, and I doubt Mike is THAT good of an evaluator that 80% players he brings in become top contributors.

Most importantly, however - is that he’s just a meh in-game coach. Time management is poor, in-game adjustments…leave alot or be desired. He had no idea how to counter Wake’s three-man rush, and then couldn’t adjust to Clemson’s approach, etc. He seems stubborn at times, or confused when his pregame preparation falls apart.
I’m not saying he’s God but he’s a good coach with an eye for talent. That’s reality. He’s the best they’ve had in a while.

Advertisement
Sounds like Norvel has Mario beat in most categories except recruiting. Everyone here can bust his chops but he has done a very good job at FSU and developed Travis into a Heisman candidate next year. What did Mario do on the field this year? He laid a big fat egg.
So we only counting Norvell's good year, cause he was complete trash before this

Sounds like Norvel has Mario beat in most categories except recruiting. Everyone here can bust his chops but he has done a very good job at FSU and developed Travis into a Heisman candidate next year. What did Mario do on the field this year? He laid a big fat egg.

Including losing to a D2 school…

He had a good season and they capitalized on their opportunities

But don’t forget the fact that fsu fans were ready to can him this season… they still have issues with him but those things can be masked my winning.

Last edited:
Including losing to a D2 school…

He had a good season and they capitalized on their opportunities

But don’t forget the fact that fsu fans were ready to can him this season… they still have issues with him but those things can be masked my winning.

We should try this winning you speak of….

Some would say winning is the point. Not sure though, I’ve been binging Game of Thrones so I could be mistaken…

Advertisement
We should try this winning you speak of….

Some would say winning is the point. Not sure though, I’ve been binging Game of Thrones so I could be mistaken…

We masked those issues in 2020 with Manny… got him canned the following season

I’m not sensitive at all. But I know a Norvell/FSU slurper when I see one.
Who’s a slurper? I said the guys a better coach then people wanna credit him for. Just the development of Jordan Travis alone gets him that imo. I hate the mother ****ers, trust me I do. But Im realistic. Id rather our guy though 10 outta 10 times.

now that it's over over, can anyone share the gory detail alluded to earlier in this crazy meandering thread

Advertisement
I’m not saying he’s God but he’s a good coach with an eye for talent. That’s reality. He’s the best they’ve had in a while.

Define "a while".

He's not better than Jimbo and he's not better than Bobby Bowden.

We masked those issues in 2020 with Manny… got him canned the following season

Unmasking certainly looked ugly…either put the mask on that ***** or take a deep look at the plastic surgeon we paid for to fix it…. Because 2022 was a bad episode of botched…

Nothing to see here folks.

Move along.

Go Away GIF by Bounce

Advertisement
I mean Jimbo is horrendous. It is what it is. All I’m saying is he’s nothing to scoff at. Hopefully I’m wrong & he flubs out biblically. **** FSU.

Fair enough.

I think Jimbo is a "personal life disaster" who loses control of his players when things go sideways...

But Jimbo has proven to be one helluva recruiter at two separate schools, he's won a championship, and he wins a lot more than he loses.

I'm not fighting anyone personally, I'm just fighting this incorrect assumption that Norvell is something special. In seven years as a head coach, he's had two noteworthy years, and this past year is his first good year at F$U.

That is all.

This isn’t about Norvell or Mario. It’s about another low character kid on the roster last year. I’m not going to lose sleep over this guy leaving. He’s a big body and not much else.

Hope he knows this is going to hurt his draft stock when he declares. NFL teams don’t like this immaturity and multiple transfers is a red flag

Advertisement
Back