Confirmed Darrell Jackson hits the portal

I also read that they played 6* backup QB's throughout the season. Everything lined up perfectly for them

Advertisement
Norvell is a good coach, but his ceiling is low. His ceiling is getting FSU to the ACC championship game, losing and then playing in a NY6 game. Good coach, but he’s not a lifer there. He would be better off at a school like Virginia tech where expectations are not as high because he will consistently get you 8-10 wins a year, but nothing of substance.

He's also a weird guy in a creepy way.

I’ll pass on worrying about prison Mike, sounds like you’re worrying enough for both of us.

Thanks for putting that out there, now we know where you stand.

I’m not discouraging you from worrying, by all means, bite your fingernails, go curl up in a ball in the corner, and cry . I’ll carry myself like a man if that’s all right with you.
Ok sweetie.

Advertisement
Yes. Exactly.

Look, I'm not on some intentional mission to go around slapping Norvell's **** out of certain porsters' mouths, but this stuff is just getting ridiculous. Norvell has one good year at F$U, and suddenly he's on the hot list of our dopiest porsters who form bizarre man-crushes for no apparent reason.

I'm still at a loss to understand what the Norvell Nitwits think that he actually did at Memphis. He took a program that Fuente built up...and for 2 of his 4 years, he actually underperformed Fuente, and for one of the four years, he performed at the same level as Fuente. Only in his final year (Year 4) did Norvell post any sort of improvement over what Fuente left him with.

It's just sad to see so-called "Miami fans" gobbling Norvell's **** and balls, when there is absolutely no evidence to do so. One good year. Maybe someday I'll forgive "Miami fans" for swallowing Norvell's loads, but not this year.

Same ones nibbling Deion’s sack…

Ok sweetie.
So here’s where I stand on white chocolate.

I’ve been on record to routinely clown his corny ***. His performance against us doesn’t change that. His performance as a whole this season, does (in a sense). Anybody not acknowledging that isn’t looking at the full picture.

Norvell has excelled in opening drive game planning and preparation. As someone who considers themselves a pretty successful sports bettor, one of the small trends I picked up on early (and was discussed on this board at length in multiple threads) was his ability to script an opening-drive score. Did it against Clemson, Wake, Us - it was actually very profitable to zone in on early team total overs. I can acknowledge that he also has developed Jordan Travis into a dynamic quarterback. He knows Jordan is limited with his arm and is probably one of the top five runners at the position in college football. He’s not doing anything complex or cute - he tailors the game-plan to those exact traits. Sprinkle in some misdirection in the passing game to help create wider windows and capitalize on college kids and the frequency in which they fall for bait, and you have an explosive and difficult offense to contain.

Finally, his evaluations of talent have been nearly pristine. Not high school, but portal guys. Everyone is sick of hearing it (including me), so there’s no point in regurgitating the numerous home runs he’s hit.

All this to say, I still am meh on him. He’s showing signs of progress, and honestly…they should win 9+ games next season or it’s a failure. But there’s still alarming question marks that remain. He’s still an underwhelming high school recruiter. He’s not personable, he’s awkward, and he’s banking on his portal evaluations panning out every single year until he establishes a lengthy period of success on the field. Not even Saban hits on every portal guy, and I doubt Mike is THAT good of an evaluator that 80% players he brings in become top contributors.

Most importantly, however - is that he’s just a meh in-game coach. Time management is poor, in-game adjustments…leave alot or be desired. He had no idea how to counter Wake’s three-man rush, and then couldn’t adjust to Clemson’s approach, etc. He seems stubborn at times, or confused when his pregame preparation falls apart.

So here’s where I stand on white chocolate.

I’ve been on record to routinely clown his corny ***. His performance against us doesn’t change that. His performance as a whole this season, does (in a sense). Anybody not acknowledging that isn’t looking at the full picture.

Norvell has excelled in opening drive game planning and preparation. As someone who considers themselves a pretty successful sports bettor, one of the small trends I picked up on early (and was discussed on this board at length in multiple threads) was his ability to script an opening-drive score. Did it against Clemson, Wake, Us - it was actually very profitable to zone in on early team total overs. I can acknowledge that he also has developed Jordan Travis into a dynamic quarterback. He knows Jordan is limited with his arm and is probably one of the top five runners at the position in college football. He’s not doing anything complex or cute - he tailors the game-plan to those exact traits. Sprinkle in some misdirection in the passing game to help create wider windows and capitalize on college kids and the frequency in which they fall for bait, and you have an explosive and difficult offense to contain.

Finally, his evaluations of talent have been nearly pristine. Not high school, but portal guys. Everyone is sick of hearing it (including me), so there’s no point in regurgitating the numerous home runs he’s hit.

All this to say, I still am meh on him. He’s showing signs of progress, and honestly…they should win 9+ games next season or it’s a failure. But there’s still alarming question marks that remain. He’s still an underwhelming high school recruiter. He’s not personable, he’s awkward, and he’s banking on his portal evaluations panning out every single year until he establishes a lengthy period of success on the field. Not even Saban hits on every portal guy, and I doubt Mike is THAT good of an evaluator that 80% players he brings in become top contributors.

Most importantly, however - is that he’s just a meh in-game coach. Time management is poor, in-game adjustments…leave alot or be desired. He had no idea how to counter Wake’s three-man rush, and then couldn’t adjust to Clemson’s approach, etc. He seems stubborn at times, or confused when his pregame preparation falls apart.

All of these things can be true. Norvell can be "improving" as a coach.

But it's also crazy for Norvell-blowers to act like his 7 years as a head coach have been so dominant, or have established him as some sort of great coach or great recruiter or great developer.

I get the Kiffin man-love. Not sure that I understand it for Prison Mike.

Sounds like Norvel has Mario beat in most categories except recruiting. Everyone here can bust his chops but he has done a very good job at FSU and developed Travis into a Heisman candidate next year. What did Mario do on the field this year? He laid a big fat egg.

Advertisement
Sounds like Norvel has Mario beat in most categories except recruiting. Everyone here can bust his chops but he has done a very good job at FSU and developed Travis into a Heisman candidate next year. What did Mario do on the field this year? He laid a big fat egg.
I don’t disagree with what you are saying based on this year but how to Norvel do in his year 1?

How did Norvell look his first two years in Tally?

Advertisement

Sure, if you want to limit the comparison to the last 365 days, that's up to you.

LOL..... went 3-6 and 5-7 previous 2 seasons

Shhhhh...certain people's heads would explode if they had to consider the possibility that Mario might post a similar improvement from Year 1 to Year 2 that Norvell had between Year 2 and Year 3...

5-7 you say?

Did we forget he lost to Jacksonville State? He had half his team transfer out and has had to take 2 full seasons to get to where he is.

Advertisement
Possible asf. Always depends on who u get imo. Like if u get an Andrew Luck that's a game changer. We used to get program changers. We need to land program changers bonified 1st rounders. We got that this cycle most likely but on the OL. If u get a Andre Johnson a Reed a Sean T? Boys like that program changers. Citizen sounded legit hope he's healthy cause we need a big fast back that break arm tackles
I feel like that's my goal too each cycle load up with as many blue chip guys as possible and maybe at least 3 to 5 of those guys turn into 1st round types or close by the time they leave, we do that each year that's how you get those loaded full of depth old miami teams. And of course hitting on the QB evals too like you said

I think it's fair to complement Norvell, despite his record. However if this is the standard (time), then you can't criticize Mario. He doubled up Magic Mike's win total in year one. (and boy were we bad)

Advertisement
Back