Darnell Washington (new thread)

Maybe bama selling him on irv smith. He had a good year last year and was drafted 2nd round i think. Other than that as far as TE I wouldn't be looking at either school
Problem with using Irv is Tua is a potential generational qb so anybody can just say he did it and not the coaches. Better example is OJ Howard who they never used unless they played Clemson

Advertisement
Bama told him before his OV that they arent featuring the TE because he is injured and dont really have anything behind him.

Bama is selling him on when they have a TE that is worth featuring, they will. How they have had 2 First round TE in the last 5 years, and how he has to opportunity to come in an start right away unlike his other options.

Bama told him before his OV that they arent featuring the TE because he is injured and dont really have anything behind him.

Bama is selling him on when they have a TE that is worth featuring, they will. How they have had 2 First round TE in the last 5 years, and how he has to opportunity to come in an start right away unlike his other options.
Uga probably saying something similar. Probably saying the guys they got aint good in the pass game or some shìt.

Problem with using Irv is Tua is a potential generational qb so anybody can just say he did it and not the coaches. Better example is OJ Howard who they never used unless they played Clemson
Tua is going to be a pro-bowler consistently, if not a all-pro contender imo like; McNabb w/ the arm talent of Phillip Rivers. Yea, tua is a qb that can scramble. But given the fact he's dealt with leg injuries since he started at Alabama. I doubt he can display the full velocity that he most likely displays time to time. Like this past training camp on a hbo show. He basically dropped 20 to 30 pounds of bad weight and added it back in good weight. Which is about half of what Zion packed on during the summer. And Zion is basically getting punched in the chest; Re-adjusting to his new body plus he was a 2 star guy most likely because of the high school he attended.

I mentioned Rivers arm-talent. Because with his delivery he throws the ball it subtracts from the velocity he can utilize, with still being a #1 overall draft pick, & his throwing motion was the biggest negative/. Which is why Aaron Rodgers went in the 20's, aka fix his throwing arm.

Advertisement
You guys over think this stuff.

He's going to go to a proven winner. We aren't there yet.

Here's another thing you all don't seem to get. You're Washington or whatever recruit and get a call or have a microphone put in your face. You know this reporter covers whatever school, they say who they cover. You're complimentary, answer questions that are crafted to include said reporters team. When it's done, reporter wraps it up with their own words in proper English. Then you all enter and try and figure it all out letting bias become a factor.

I realize this was a supposed insider take, probably talked to a reporter and the jock strap washer.

Here's another thing you all don't seem to get. You're Washington or whatever recruit and get a call or have a microphone put in your face. You know this reporter covers whatever school, they say who they cover. You're complimentary, answer questions that are crafted to include said reporters team. When it's done, reporter wraps it up with their own words in proper English. Then you all enter and try and figure it all out letting bias become a factor.

I realize this was a supposed insider take, probably talked to a reporter and the jock strap washer.
I understand the winner part. But as a tight end I don’t see uga Clemson or Bama dudes putting up numbers while in college the way ours do.
I think Brevin might have more catches and yards than nauta has his whole time at uga. I don’t even know Bama’s or clemson’s tight end’s name.

I am not as high on this kid coming as I was this past summer as I knew it depended on how well we did this year and of course we failed that test up until the last few weeks. That said for us to still be in the top 4 is a great sign.

A few things in our favor is that we are the only team in his final 4 that will have their starting QB back for the next 2 years at least. Tua and Herbert are gone. Fromm is gone after next year. (maybe after this year) So he knows who will be throwing to him and right now Jarren is on fire.

Another factor in our favor is that when we tell him he will get the ball, he knows we aren't selling him snake oil. Manny and Enos can look him dead in the eye and tell him he will get his 40-50 catches a year guaranteed and he knows its the truth because Manny (big time analytics guy) will show him the data I am sure on his visit. And Brevin will tell him barring injury hes going to the league after next year so its his and Mallory's TE room in 2021.

Lastly, never discount the "Vegas to Miami" selling point. We got to use what we have to our advantage. We aren't a college town and we aren't in the middle of nowhere. We are in the city of Miami. You perform well here and you are the man in a big city.

Fingers crossed.

Yea, pretty much high school/college/nfl. They all might as well treat the players as pawns on checkers board. Like you have these websites that you have to pay a price to see if a person you don't know , other then the fact the analyst is on a tv screen.

h/s = guesses to see where they might go to school. Yea there's division 1-2-3-etc. But in d-one theres at least 100 ncaa programs. And now there is 4 spots to crown a 'w' - Before there was a 50/50 shot at holding a crystal 8-ball.... Also the Canes should have won 3 chips in a row. They beat fsu who the U beat in the regular season. And the fiesta bowl. I swear the canes looked f'd up like that - bombay / gin & juice;

Clinton Portis said in the big leagues that he would take shots of liquor for the pre-game. And Percy Harvin said he pretty much played high on that mary jane as far as back as he could re-call. Look at Winslow on the sidelines after his td in o/t. Like tOsu had a flag before the first snap by either offense for having 12 men on the field. I guess they forgot a team on both sides of the ball, can only have 11 on the field at a time - technically

You can see to me at least. Appeared he forgot that he just pointed out that the canes are the goats of all time / deja vu. All though they stomped a mud hole at the rose bowl. After they got robbed the year before.

Advertisement
Just watch it on youtube. Jim Tressel, had like no negative reaction. You'd figure a h/c in a bcs title game would be yelling at the top of his lungs, after seeing the flag was because there was for an extra player on the field. 1st snap from scrimmage too.

Pac, they don't have to put up numbers like they do here. They have a ton of weapons everywhere, so they get less looks, etc. Where were we in a few games without Brevin? We don't have the same luxury.

I do get what you're saying though. Still, all he would need to do is put decent numbers on the field and then testing for the combine, you'll go high at those places. Georgia would be my last choice of all those he's expressed interest in from a purely statistical standpoint.

These young bucks though think they can do it anywhere. Sell them a vision, they'll think it's going to happen as nothing has stopped them to this point. Play to their ego.

Advertisement
UGA takes 5-star TEs and turns them into UDFAs.

Alabama can sell the recent success of OJ Howard and Irv Smith (somewhat).

But if he’s all about maximizing usage, targets, and stats, no better place than Coral Gables, where Miami takes 3/4-star TEs and turns them into Day 1 Picks.

UGA takes 5-star TEs and turns them into UDFAs.

Alabama can sell the recent success of OJ Howard and Irv Smith (somewhat).

But if he’s all about maximizing usage, targets, and stats, no better place than Coral Gables, where Miami takes 3/4-star TEs and turns them into Day 1 Picks.

I get going to UGA not being a wise decision, but Bama? **** you look at OJ Howard, he had an above average, but not phenomenal 4-year career at bama (I think Brevin has one less td currently than OJ had in his whole career) but one big game on National TV coupled with a good combine, and he is a first rounder.

However, can someone help me with why we keep beating this drum in bold? Not trying to single you out personally but do we have a great history at TE? Yes.

Is there a single person on staff currently that had a hand in developing, identifying or contributing in ANY way to that history? No. How does that have any impact on his decision with the exception of maybe being exposed to some people on our TEU list?

Supposedly the kid was a lock to UGA since the summer. Now there's rumor he isn't sold completely because of their offense and lack of use of TE and even WR. He was at the ND game for his OV at UGA. The write up implies he may go back to UGA for another unofficial visit before early signing day. You know what that means....

According to the west coast guy who did the interview, Bama has now climbed back into his "top 3". He doesn't specify who #3 is.

Again, this is a kid with a relationship going back to Stephen Fields in Oregon. We shall see if he even visits. I think it's too bad he isn't coming to see a game. If he comes it will be the weekend before signing day.

Advertisement
I get going to UGA not being a wise decision, but Bama? **** you look at OJ Howard, he had an above average, but not phenomenal 4-year career at bama (I think Brevin has one less td currently than OJ had in his whole career) but one big game on National TV coupled with a good combine, and he is a first rounder.

However, can someone help me with why we keep beating this drum in bold? Not trying to single you out personally but do we have a great history at TE? Yes.

Is there a single person on staff currently that had a hand in developing, identifying or contributing in ANY way to that history? No. How does that have any impact on his decision with the exception of maybe being exposed to some people on our TEU list?
If anything that could further be a selling point depending on how it’s spoken about.

No matter who the coach is here, whether we’re good or bad, our reputation as a place where TEs come NFL-ready is still intact. No matter who the coach has been here, we produce Pro Bowl tight ends. It’s what Miami does.

Now imagine that with a prospect like Darnell Washington.

If anything that could further be a selling point depending on how it’s spoken about.

No matter who the coach is here, whether we’re good or bad, our reputation as a place where TEs come NFL-ready is still intact. No matter who the coach has been here, we produce Pro Bowl tight ends. It’s what Miami does.

Now imagine that with a prospect like Darnell Washington.

I like the pitch man I do, I just can't mentally grasp it. Not like **** is in the water, or eating some mangos with vinegar is turning people into TE's lol

Here's why I don't buy that coming from this kid...

If how often the TE is used in an offense is really the main determining factor for where this kid will go, then why TF would he ever even consider UGA?? UGA's TE only has 11 catches on the year & as a program hasn't had a TE do sh*t in the league since Ben Watson & Randy McMichael.

Bama's TE only has 12 catches on the year... Neither program uses the TE AT ALL lol.

If TE targets really matter that much to him this should be a Miami vs Oregon battle with Miami having the significant lead & aside from Oregon being a better team than us right now, Miami is still the better choice for a TE.

My estimation is, he wants to play at a winning program & was definitely looking to get paid, but neither UGA or Bama would be all that much money for a player at a position they barely use, they probably just selling him on the fact they're winning programs & put a bunch of players in the league, but that's not all that convincing to a kid that wants several targets a game as a TE.

I don't think he will seriously consider coming here, I feel like he's just playing games & looking to get a lot of attention so he can have hats on the table at whichever All-Star game he plays in in January.

However, we have nothing to lose here because the prestige of being TEU gives us more leverage than we usually have when trying to recruit high ranked 5-star prospects. So, all we can do is keep throwing the ball to Brevin for these last two games, put him position to be a Mackey Award finalist, get Darnell down for a OV, show him clearly we're the best option for him if he's serious about playing in an offense where the TE gets lots of targets & reiterate the success we've had developing TE's & getting them drafted in the first round & put the ball in his court.

If he smart he'll make the clear & obvious best choice for his career, if he's an attention seeking front runner he'll sign up to be a De facto Offensive lineman at Bama or UGA, either way it's on him.

100% agree

Advertisement
Back