Daran Branch

Advertisement
Advertisement
Some of these kids from small towns Iike him go home to work the farm college or no college.
He's not wrong, as in Zbrod95 isn't wrong, he's 100% correct. I'm from a small town in the South and unfortunately sometimes the family will pressure you to come back to help out by working full time and going to community college full time...a family with generation upon generation that's not exposed to college/benefits to education unfortunately often times will devalue how life changing a full ride scholarship is. Sad, but happens ALL THE TIME. Happened to a relative of mine, albeit non athletic related, had about 50K in scholly $$$ to attend NC State (1hr from home) and my aunt-(her mother) discouraged her from leaving and made her feel as though she wasn't ready to be outside of the house on her own and when she still was going to go, she took it a step further and made it seem like she was abandoning the family by not staying and working locally upon graduation. Talking about a kid who was top 10% of her Sr class and LOVED school. Hurt me to my core but I was in upstate NY serving in the military and by time I found out it was too late. Been trying to get her back in school ever since but she's now caught up in the small town thinking of "I'm only 21 and make $12/hr so this is good money" stage.

Hopefully that's not what happened to Daran Branch.

Mansell said today that UGA tried to convince him to stay. His family came and spent the weekend with him to make sure he really thought through the decision to leave. Apparently his uncle owns some kind of manufacturing business and that's what he is going to do right now. Mansell said they think he will go home for a bit, hang with family and then decide he doesn't want to give up football completely and will end up at a more local school closer to home. Mansell mentioned Univ. of Louisianna Monroe, etc.

Advertisement
Free family vacay on Super Bowl weekend.

“It’s in no specific order,” he says, adding "Miami has a chance but I’m still committed to Ole Miss. I’m being patient. They have a new coaching staff so I’m being patient. Depending how the official visit goes this weekend will determine a lot.”

The message he gets from UM coaches?

“I talk with Blake (Baker), all of them - they say we have to get down there, that they saved the best visit for last,” Branch said. “I have a great relationship with every coach up there. When we talk it’s about football, life, getting me to the school and seeing what everything is about.”

1598560115008.png

He's not wrong, as in Zbrod95 isn't wrong, he's 100% correct. I'm from a small town in the South and unfortunately sometimes the family will pressure you to come back to help out by working full time and going to community college full time...a family with generation upon generation that's not exposed to college/benefits to education unfortunately often times will devalue how life changing a full ride scholarship is. Sad, but happens ALL THE TIME. Happened to a relative of mine, albeit non athletic related, had about 50K in scholly $$$ to attend NC State (1hr from home) and my aunt-(her mother) discouraged her from leaving and made her feel as though she wasn't ready to be outside of the house on her own and when she still was going to go, she took it a step further and made it seem like she was abandoning the family by not staying and working locally upon graduation. Talking about a kid who was top 10% of her Sr class and LOVED school. Hurt me to my core but I was in upstate NY serving in the military and by time I found out it was too late. Been trying to get her back in school ever since but she's now caught up in the small town thinking of "I'm only 21 and make $12/hr so this is good money" stage.

The best rb/cb/lb/etc you never heard of never played a down of cfb. You'll hear local stories, especially in the south, about em all the time.

Advertisement
I really didn't like him that much. I know people will think this is saltiness. But I definitely liked Williams, Harrell and Balom (as well as Tennison and Francois) more than Branch.

Nailed it..small town thinking is very, VERY hard to get out of in alot of cases.

I've lived in SETX and SWLA and the thought from some young men there is to ditch scholarship opportunities so they can immediately start working in the chemical refineries in the area. They usually pay well, so those kids see that and go for the immediate monetary satisfaction instead of getting the degree.

Advertisement
I've lived in SETX and SWLA and the thought from some young men there is to ditch scholarship opportunities so they can immediately start working in the chemical refineries in the area. They usually pay well, so those kids see that and go for the immediate monetary satisfaction instead of getting the degree.

I think kids should be kids and take the opportunity of a lifetime to go to college and if possible play a sport they love. To get a degree and be debt free after is a great opportunity

For the non-athletes, its becoming more and more evident that degrees are not the end all in today's economy and getting a head start in your field while start a 401k or IRA at 18 is not a bad decision either. IMO, one of the biggest scams in this country is corporations requiring a degree to work certain positions.

Advertisement
Back