Dancing queen on the playlist ??!!!

LOL I was thinking if they play that song at your gym, I don't want to know what goes on in there!

For real, that's a serious gym you're at. You lift heavy like that?
I used to, but never competitive. PRs are 470 DL, 405 Squat, 345 Front Squat around 53-54 years old, at 6-3 240-ish. I’m 58 going on 59 now. Aging and a few injuries forced me to rethink future goals.

The gym had some freaks, but 90% of the members are normal folks who like to lift but not at a globo gym. Not many old-school gyms around.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Whenever I think people on this board couldn't be any more insufferable, there's a thread like this. I hate to point out the obvious, but your wet dream of a bunch of recycled rap tunes being played isn't happening. Why? Because the powers that be know full well that it's more than the hardcore fans in the building, and those people will want to hear a variety of stuff. In a perfect world, we wouldn't need to have any music outside of the BOTH, but due to things beyond our control, we will likely never have a marching band program large or talented enough to do that. So, the school goes with inoffensive, bland music that keeps people entertained, but also doesn't run the risk of people whining. That is, outside of the people that live to be miserable. It's background music.

Frankly, if you notice the music regularly, I have to wonder if you are paying attention to the game. Outside of "In The Air Tonight" and maybe a couple of other pregame songs, I couldn't tell you what plays during the game. During breaks in action, I'm getting a drink, shooting the breeze with the gang, or doing something else. I only have 1-3 requests for the music playlist and the operations staff in charge of said playlist

1)Include "In The Air Tonight"

2)Have some awareness of the opponent and adjust the playlist accordingly(IE, if we are playing Clemson, don't play "Eye of the Tiger" and if we are playing VTech, don't play "Enter Sandman" before teams take the field. These things happened when I was in undergrad at the OB and I STILL get annoyed about it)

3)Be willing to adjust based on the feel of the game. If you see that whenever you play house music, the student section gets rowdy, keep that in mind for key situations.

Other than that, who gives a ****? I'm there to watch the 'Canes play, not there to jam out.

Advertisement
Whenever I think people on this board couldn't be any more insufferable, there's a thread like this. I hate to point out the obvious, but your wet dream of a bunch of recycled rap tunes being played isn't happening. Why? Because the powers that be know full well that it's more than the hardcore fans in the building, and those people will want to hear a variety of stuff. In a perfect world, we wouldn't need to have any music outside of the BOTH, but due to things beyond our control, we will likely never have a marching band program large or talented enough to do that. So, the school goes with inoffensive, bland music that keeps people entertained, but also doesn't run the risk of people whining. That is, outside of the people that live to be miserable. It's background music.

Frankly, if you notice the music regularly, I have to wonder if you are paying attention to the game. Outside of "In The Air Tonight" and maybe a couple of other pregame songs, I couldn't tell you what plays during the game. During breaks in action, I'm getting a drink, shooting the breeze with the gang, or doing something else. I only have 1-3 requests for the music playlist and the operations staff in charge of said playlist

2)Have some awareness of the opponent and adjust the playlist accordingly(IE, if we are playing Clemson, don't play "Eye of the Tiger" and if we are playing VTech, don't play "Enter Sandman" before teams take the field. These things happened when I was in undergrad at the OB and I STILL get annoyed about it)

3)Be willing to adjust based on the feel of the game. If you see that whenever you play house music, the student section gets rowdy, keep that in mind for key situations.

Other than that, who gives a ****? I'm there to watch the 'Canes play, not there to jam out.
Eh they can still have a better list with good hype songs (current and old). Prime example is Louisvilles DJ. When we played there even Canes fans commented how good the music was, and it was primarily hip hop/rap that the players actually liked and this is in country Louisville, Kentucky.

Advertisement
Eh they can still have a better list with good hype songs (current and old). Prime example is Louisvilles DJ. When we played there even Canes fans commented how good the music was, and it was primarily hip hop/rap that the players actually liked and this is in country Louisville, Kentucky.

There are some evergreen hard rock/heavy metal songs that should always be played.

There are some evergreen rap/hip hop songs that should always be played.

There are some songs that have a unique connection to UM and Miami (In the Air Tonight).

I have no problems rotating a few popular songs through the list every few years, but it should never be the playlist for a wedding or bar mitzvah.

The fact that people think that players are really paying attention the music being played is hilarious. If that was the case, the kids at Alabama, Georgia and other more traditional schools would be bored out of their minds. I've been to Tuscaloosa, I've been to Athens, those kids are locked in, they couldn't care less about what is getting played during breaks. At most traditional schools, you hear the band, usually playing some boilerplate song. Penn State plays 7 Nation Army to the point of annoyance, most major schools won't even go near hip hop...

The music is more for the fan experience and even then, it's background noise for the vast majority of people in the building. Then again, I'm quite sure that no matter what the school played, our whiny fanbase would find a way to dislike it. I know that CIS is the outlier of the fanbase, but I wonder if there's ANYTHING the maudes around here think the school does correctly. I just don't get it. **** near every other thread is "The University of Miami sucks because (Insert Poorly Thought Out Reason Here)". The school isn't perfect and there's things that bother me, but the constant whinefest is exhausting.

Just about very white guy here has drunk danced to Dancing Queen towards the end of a family wedding.

You know who you are.
GIF by Kim's Convenience

Cool story bro

Advertisement
Our band is quite good.

Unfortunately, our band is tiny.

Between UM being a small private school, the Music School NOT requiring any music students to do marching band, and the fact that it is a BRUTAL extracrurricular (in the Miami heat) that offers very little reward, it is not surprising that our band is so small.

And I know this with certainty. My best friend from middle school through college was in The Band of the Hour all throughout undergrad.
No music major would be in the band. Majoring in music is time intensive, spending time learning the routines is a time waster

The fact that people think that players are really paying attention the music being played is hilarious. If that was the case, the kids at Alabama, Georgia and other more traditional schools would be bored out of their minds. I've been to Tuscaloosa, I've been to Athens, those kids are locked in, they couldn't care less about what is getting played during breaks. At most traditional schools, you hear the band, usually playing some boilerplate song. Penn State plays 7 Nation Army to the point of annoyance, most major schools won't even go near hip hop...

The music is more for the fan experience and even then, it's background noise for the vast majority of people in the building. Then again, I'm quite sure that no matter what the school played, our whiny fanbase would find a way to dislike it. I know that CIS is the outlier of the fanbase, but I wonder if there's ANYTHING the maudes around here think the school does correctly. I just don't get it. **** near every other thread is "The University of Miami sucks because (Insert Poorly Thought Out Reason Here)". The school isn't perfect and there's things that bother me, but the constant whinefest is exhausting.
Writing paragraphs about people whining while you… whine

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back