Dana Holgorson: "Lying In Recruiting Happens A Bunch"

MDOcane

here we go again...
curious to see how West Virginia recruits react to these sort of comments...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ting-happens-a-bunch?campaign=Twitter_nfl_cfb

Dana Holgorsen says lying in recruiting happens 'a bunch'

It's one thing to be candid and honest.

It's another to arm your enemy with candor and honesty.

That's exactly what West Virginia coach Dana Holgorsen has done in saying that lying to recruits is business as usual in college coaching. According to the Twitter feed of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette's West Virginia beat writer, Stephen J. Nesbitt, Holgorsen said: "You lie in recruiting a bunch. That's just kind of part of it. You become a salesman."

Nesbitt also quoted Holgorsen as saying he encourages recruits to ask WVU players a lot of questions about "how it really is here." The broader context of Holgorsen's remarks would appear to be about the nature of college football recruiting as a sugar-coated pitch that accentuates everything positive about a school and covers a program's blemishes better than Avon. But rival coaching staffs aren't beholden to proper context. Holgorsen's remark that "you lie in recruiting a bunch" is not only all they need to hurt the Mountaineers on the recruiting trail, but all they'll want as well.

Holgorsen can expect to be asked about the remark by recruits and their parents. And it might not go over too well in the WVU locker room, either. Every college program has at least a few disgruntled players, some more than others. It's the nature of having 85 players on scholarship for just 22 starting positions.

Whatever Holgorsen meant by the remark, his articulation of the point couldn't have been much worse.

Advertisement
Honestly i would lie too, if i had to convince a prospect to come to a dump of West Virginia. im sure Saban does it all the time as well.

He's not wrong. It does always happen. Not everywhere but it does.

Advertisement
Some may call it lying while others call it not telling the entire truth. Happens at every school in one way or another

Advertisement
So he publicly states a fact that every Coach has avoided saying up to now . Big deal !

Why do you think Al has been boiling mad at Will Muschump and a few others? To get kids from highly coveted recruiting areas many coaches will lie, smear, intimidate, or have boosters promise to take care of family members in dire financial need. Telling kids the truth only gets them so far. They tell kids what they want to hear . No mention is made of the down-side such as ... academic-suspension, core classes, understanding what is a "viable major" , college-level math, time demands .....or..if the run afoul of the law.....the response of "Typical thug/hoodlum/ghetto trash from......." from the fan-base that was smiling at them two minutes earlier.

So he publicly states a fact that every Coach has avoided saying up to now . Big deal !

Why do you think Al has been boiling mad at Will Muschump and a few others? To get kids from highly coveted recruiting areas many coaches will lie, smear, intimidate, or have boosters promise to take care of family members in dire financial need. Telling kids the truth only gets them so far. They tell kids what they want to hear . No mention is made of the down-side such as ... academic-suspension, core classes, understanding what is a "viable major" , college-level math, time demands .....or..if the run afoul of the law.....the response of "Typical thug/hoodlum/ghetto trash from......." from the fan-base that was smiling at them two minutes earlier.

Al and staff are just like every other staff and you hit the nail on the head that a coach will tell a recruit what ever they want to hear but there are coaches that do bring up some of those issues that you mention.

He's not wrong. It does always happen. Not everywhere but it does.

Back in the day my friends would tell me that Tony Wise was a lousy recruiter because he couldn't lie very well. Other coaches on staff back then were, however, more effective recruiters...

Nowadays, it might involve persuading a kid that a particular school has the best engineering school in the country.

I heard him interviewed on an ESPN podcast recently. He makes Bernie sound like James Bond.

Advertisement
327.jpg

Don't see where he's wrong here. I don't think he was saying he lies specifically, just that recruits are fed a lot of misinformation. **** he said he encourages recruits to talk to current players and find out what its really like so its not as if he's trying to bull**** any of them.

Don't see where he's wrong here. I don't think he was saying he lies specifically, just that recruits are fed a lot of misinformation. **** he said he encourages recruits to talk to current players and find out what its really like so its not as if he's trying to bull**** any of them.
West Virginia recruits won't know the difference anyway

Advertisement
"I meant the other coaches! The other coaches lie! I said 'You lie' not 'I lie!'"

Advertisement
Back