Dan Orlovsky Interview

Roman Marciante

Sophomore
Premium
Had a chance to interview Dan Orlovsky today and I wanted to just drop some nuggets in here before the interview comes out tomorrow on the OBB podcast. Orlovsky is obviously the ESPN analyst who called our Georgia Tech game and provided a very honest assessment of the Hurricane offense that night. He was a great interview and continued his candid assessment during the interview.

When asked about his opinion on N'kosi Perry he added that he throws with anticipation and that he could tell he was a freshman at times on film. He provided a brilliant illustration using pictures to recall defenses and the insight was very informative.

Orlovsky was also asked if he felt Miami had the "talent." He instantly provided names like Homer, DeeJay, Jordan and Thomas. He wasn't shy in stating his case. He also said that football's balance has evolved more than just a 50/50 run to pass ratio. That balance should mean touches (no matter in what fashion) to your play makers.

We talked about that 95 yard drive and I specifically asked him if calling the same play on third down three times was a benefit for the quarterback (familiarity) or a flat out disadvantage. His answer was classic. Let's just say he recalled his NFL coordinators and a middle finger.

I also asked Orlovsky how Miami's offense compared nationally. I can certainly say that I am a big fan of Dan's and for those who haven't followed Orlovsky on social media outlets to do so. He has an effortless way of breaking down the game and is constantly putting out NFL and college clips that are X/O gold. He is the Jedi Master I'm just the padawan.

Advertisement
Awesome stuff. You could immediately tell he was calling that game differently than most everyone else you hear.

Dude went to UConn and played for a long time in the NFL. He’s certainly qualified and he proved it. Really hoping to hear more from him in the future.

Advertisement
My goodness Yes. I have watched every single clip he has posted this week. I watch a ton of this stuff, follow a ton of sites, Dan sees it differently.

This is Richt's worst nightmare, it's one thing for us no-nothing fans to blurt out stuff(even though many of these same fans, like yourself Roman, absolutely have a high football IQ) but when a guy who played QB in the NFL, it's much different.

Again, hail Dan O!!

Advertisement
My goodness Yes. I have watched every single clip he has posted this week. I watch a ton of this stuff, follow a ton of sites, Dan sees it differently.
Dude if you're a fan of him. I'm jumping on the bandwagon. He definitely impressed me on the broadcast and you bud are the ultimate pimp of the video breakdown.

This is Richt's worst nightmare, it's one thing for us no-nothing fans to blurt out stuff(even though many of these same fans, like yourself Roman, absolutely have a high football IQ) but when a guy who played QB in the NFL, it's much different.

Again, hail Dan O!!

I'm not in this man's league. I know when to tip my cap my friend. and YES. HAIL DAN O!!!

Dude if you're a fan of him. I'm jumping on the bandwagon. He definitely impressed me on the broadcast and you bud are the ultimate pimp of the video breakdown.

He just showed a clip of the colts using a 13 set dagger one concept using spray technique and hb motion just to create the mismatch. I fell out. Like the nice old lady at church when the Pastor brings the Holy Ghost Heat.

Advertisement
Roman, serious question for the uninformed such as myself: do you get the sense that Richt’s style is antiquated, poorly coached, incomplete, a mix, or something else entirely?

And you don't have to be a proctologist to recognize an ******* either - and Richt is one stubborn sphincter.

Someone get us some Preparation H.

Advertisement
Roman, serious question for the uninformed such as myself: do you get the sense that Richt’s style is antiquated, poorly coached, incomplete, a mix, or something else entirely?

Well the word archaic comes to mind. Honestly if you get the chance to listen to the podcast tomorrow with Dan, he literally covers this topic very clearly.

Ultimately poorly coached was never brought up. It just is not doing what many teams utilize in order to gain the advantage.

He just showed a clip of the colts using a 13 set dagger one concept using spray technique and hb motion just to create the mismatch. I fell out. Like the nice old lady at church when the Pastor brings the Holy Ghost Heat.
I saw that tweet. That was sick. One can only dream of Miami having an OC draw up something like that.

Had a chance to interview Dan Orlovsky today and I wanted to just drop some nuggets in here before the interview comes out tomorrow on the OBB podcast. Orlovsky is obviously the ESPN analyst who called our Georgia Tech game and provided a very honest assessment of the Hurricane offense that night. He was a great interview and continued his candid assessment during the interview.

When asked about his opinion on N'kosi Perry he added that he throws with anticipation and that he could tell he was a freshman at times on film. He provided a brilliant illustration using pictures to recall defenses and the insight was very informative.

Orlovsky was also asked if he felt Miami had the "talent." He instantly provided names like Homer, DeeJay, Jordan and Thomas. He wasn't shy in stating his case. He also said that football's balance has evolved more than just a 50/50 run to pass ratio. That balance should mean touches (no matter in what fashion) to your play makers.

We talked about that 95 yard drive and I specifically asked him if calling the same play on third down three times was a benefit for the quarterback (familiarity) or a flat out disadvantage. His answer was classic. Let's just say he recalled his NFL coordinators and a middle finger.

I also asked Orlovsky how Miami's offense compared nationally. I can certainly say that I am a big fan of Dan's and for those who haven't followed Orlovsky on social media outlets to do so. He has an effortless way of breaking down the game and is constantly putting out NFL and college clips that are X/O gold. He is the Jedi Master I'm just the padawan.

“There’s nothing balanced about 50% run-50% pass, ’cause that’s 50% stupid. What is balance is when you have five skill positions and all five of them are contributing to the effort in somewhat equal fashion — that’s balance. This notion that if you hand one guy 50% of the time and then you throw it to a combination of two guys the other 50% that you’re really balanced. You probably pat yourself on the back and tell yourself that. People have been doing that for decades. Well, then you’re delusional.”

-Mike Leach

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/10/mike-leach-run-pass-balance-philosophy-washington-state-football

I saw that tweet. That was sick. One can only dream of Miami having an OC draw up something like that.

BC used tempo and a ton of 12 set vs us. Not 13 but still. That game plan was rather unique. And Dan mentioned teams needing to either use Personnel, tempo and formations to gain the advantage. If you are not doing any of the three to gain the advantage, then what are we doing?

Advertisement
Back