Dan Enos by the Numbers

if that were true..media guides would include these "robust stats" in the bio's of coaches.

They will always choose to use ypg and ppg over more complicated stats because its easier for common folk to understand. The more analytics minded people (thank god we finally have a head coach who is one of these) know which stats are more important.

Advertisement
Calm down from the guy that calls other folks idiots. You're like one of them child **** watching devout Christians who rails against others but have more skeletons that a grave yard.

Amazing state of affairs here

Deep breaths.

I didn’t purposefully hurt your feelings. It’s not fair to yourself to put so much weight on the opinion of a stranger.

Remember: You’re good enough. You’re smart enough. And gosh darn it, people like you.

Deep breaths.

I didn’t purposefully hurt your feelings. It’s not fair to yourself to put so much weight on the opinion of a stranger.

Remember: You’re good enough. You’re smart enough. And gosh darn it, people like you.

I’m surprised you didn’t shoot up a school growing up...you’re emotions all over the place. Poor guy...

Advertisement
They will always choose to use ypg and ppg over more complicated stats because its easier for common folk to understand. The more analytics minded people (thank god we finally have a head coach who is one of these) know which stats are more important.

The AD didn’t buy that **** either & has upgraded his HC of Arky football & Bielema should carry those stats around..he might get another job if he does.

I agree that 3rd conversion % numbers are important. Total numbers in general don't tell a great story of an offense or defense though. Can agree to disagree, though.

It’s amazing how the total numbers backed the firing of Enos from CMU & Bielema.

Advertisement
@Tee3000 ... stats are stats, I wouldn’t even try to dispute them.

To counterbalance the predictive nature of your stats, first, an argument needs to be made that the S&P is more relevant and possibly more predictive. I just don’t have time to go through that, nor am I inclined. S&P might be a better measure, or it might not be. I would personally need to see the argument.

Secondly, it can be argued that there is a rationale why Saban was going to make him his OC (according to all reports), and therefore Manny employed a similar rationale in hiring him.

Thirdly, an argument can be made that lack of QB development was the primary reason even a vanilla offense couldn’t get off the ground last year. If QB development is addressed, that can go a long ways into significantly improving our offense. And I think it can be argued Enos is well regarded in terms of quarterback development and improving quarterback performance.

Finally, someone like @Lance Roffers might be able to have a better metrics-based response to at least put those ugly stats into a context which might justify his hire.

I have to look at that post he made a few weeks back and look at it in more detail to see if that indeed achieves that objective, I’m not sure it does, so a more expansive counter argument would need to be made

Last edited:
It’s amazing how the total numbers backed the firing of Enos from CMU & Bielema.
Bielema was at Arkansas for 5 years. Arkansas was Top 35 in S&P offensive efficiency each of the 3 years that he was there. They fired the HC, and Chad Morris is an offensive coach who runs a completely different system than Enos. As soon as he got fired, he had job offers to work as OC for Harbaugh and to work on Bama's staff.

CMU is definitely a stain. No debating that. Lack of talent was a problem there as well.

Looking at totals is just not the best way to evaluate performance. We can agree to disagree, as I said before.

@Tee3000 ... stats are stats, I wouldn’t even try to dispute them.

To counterbalance the predictive nature of your stats, first, an argument needs to be made that the S&P is more relevant and possibly more predictive. I just don’t have time to go through that, nor am I inclined. S&P might be a better measure, or it might not be. I would personally need to see the argument.

Secondly, it can be argued that there is a rationale why Saban was going to make him his OC (according to all reports), and therefore Manny employed a similar rationale in hiring him.

Thirdly, an argument can be made that lack of QB development was the primary reason even a vanilla offense couldn’t get off the ground last year. If QB development is addressed, that can go a long ways into significantly improving our offense. And I think it can be argued Enos is well regarded in terms of quarterback development and improving quarterback performance.

Finally, someone like @Lance Roffers might be able to have a better metrics-based response to at least put those ugly stats into a context which might justify his hire.

I have to look at that post he made a few weeks back and look at it in more detail to see if that indeed achieves that objective, I’m not sure it does so more expansive counter argument would need to be made

I can respect this...I just don't know what to expect of Enos...we shall see.

Good post fam

Advertisement
Bielema was at Arkansas for 5 years. Arkansas was Top 35 in S&P offensive efficiency each of the 3 years that he was there. They fired the HC, and Chad Morris is an offensive coach who runs a completely different system than Enos. As soon as he got fired, he had job offers to work as OC for Harbaugh and to work on Bama's staff.

CMU is definitely a stain. No debating that. Lack of talent was a problem there as well.

Looking at totals is just not the best way to evaluate performance. We can agree to disagree, as I said before.

Remember coaching is the friends/good ole boy network business...Enos will always have job. It's not like he's Oh'No, he's a good coach...he'll always have a job but him being wanted by so&so doesn't make me label him as a savior or even a offensive guru.

CMU is a stain that played against other stains...right?

Looking at total stat is definitely a way to evaluate performance imho...it's how Diaz got this job right? and a bunch of other coaches...

What would you say is the best way to evaluate a coordinator?

Advertisement
Remember coaching is the friends/good ole boy network business...Enos will always have job. It's not like he's Oh'No, he's a good coach...he'll always have a job but him being wanted by so&so doesn't make me label him as a savior or even a offensive guru.

CMU is a stain that played against other stains...right?

Looking at total stat is definitely a way to evaluate performance imho...it's how Diaz got this job right? and a bunch of other coaches...

What would you say is the best way to evaluate a coordinator?
I was saying that CMU is a stain on his career. Not that the job is a stain. He failed there. I also didn't label him a savior or a guru. Competence as OC will separate him from what we've had here for quite some time.

I didn't say that a total stat isn't a way, but it's not the best way in my opinion. You can look at yard per play, points per play, offensive and defensive efficiency numbers to paint a better picture than just total yards. I don't agree that Diaz got this job because of the total stat. Even at previous stops, he graded out better other metrics than he did with total numbers.

I was saying that CMU is a stain on his career. Not that the job is a stain. He failed there. I also didn't label him a savior or a guru. Competence as OC will separate him from what we've had here for quite some time.

I didn't say that a total stat isn't a way, but it's not the best way in my opinion. You can look at yard per play, points per play, offensive and defensive efficiency numbers to paint a better picture than just total yards. I don't agree that Diaz got this job because of the total stat. Even at previous stops, he graded out better other metrics than he did with total numbers.

I can respect that fully.

Advertisement
Back