Dade County Recruits

Cane01

Redshirt Freshman
Is there a shifting landscape in Dade County in terms of recruits? I looked at the 2016, 2017 and 2018 top recruits from the county and it seems that there is a bit of a shift in numbers from the inner city schools to southern schools. This is especially true if Miami Central is eliminated, as they have been absolutely stacked for a few years now. Traditionally the inner city schools had the greatest number of prospects that were heavily recruited. Has there traditionally been a difference between the types of kids from the Central's, Northwestern's, BTW's vs the Columbus, Killian, Southridge type of kids? Ie. loyalty, bust rate, love for the U, toughness? I would love for any of the Dade experts to weigh in here. Anyways here is a look at the 2016-2018 classes. The southern part of the county is stacked while only Central and maybe Carol City are pulling their weight up north. These are only the kids with major Power 5 offers, as that is who Miami should be recruiting. I looked at the traditional talent producers, obviously some are bigger schools than others. I don't remember a period where the inner city schools were out produced, the southern schools seem to have more star players right now as well. Is this an anomaly or a trend? If it's a trend, is it due to budgets? urban sprawl? population shifts? coaching?

The North: 23 kids

Central: 9 kids over 3 recruiting cycles
Donavan Thompson-2016
Jamel Cook-2016
Darnell Soloman-2016
Keir Thomas-2016
Navaughn Donaldosn-2017
Waynmon Steed- 2017
Owen Carney-2017
Carmoni Green-2017
James Cook-2018

Norland: 2 kids over 3 recruiting cycles
Emmett Rice-2016
Vosean Joseph- 2016

Booker T. Washington: 4 kids over 3 recruiting cycles
Guy Thomas-2017
Kadeem Telfort- 2017
Robert Hicks-2018
Jaquan Beaver-2018

Northwestern: 3 kids over 3 recruiting cycles
Trenell Troutman-2018
Billy Joseph-2018
Thomas Burns-2018

Carol City: 5 kids over 3 recruiting cycles
Kevaughn Dingle-2017
De'Andre Wilder- 2017
Rashad Colson-2017
Camron Davis-2018
Randy Russell-2018

Jackson: 0 kids over 3 recruiting cycles

Pace: 0 kids over 3 recruiting cycles

The South: 31 kids

Southridge: 14 kids over 3 recruiting cycles
DiCaprio Bootle-2016
Shawn Davis-2017
Billy Gibson-2017
Kemore Gamble-2017
Nadarius ***an-2017
Antwan Collier -2017
DeAndre Johnson-2017
Bentavious Thompson-2017
Rodney Scott-2017
Cody Bowes-2017
James Head-2018
Randy Charlton-2018
Mark Pope-2018
Daquris Wiggins-2018

Columbus: 4 kids over 3 recruiting cycles
Josh Uche-2016
Trajan Bandy-2017
Chris Henderson-2017
Josh Jobe-2018

Gulliver Prep: 4 kids over 3 recruiting cycles
Cedrick Wright-2016
Dionte Mullins-2016
Joe Jackson-2016
Robert Burns-2017

Coral Gables: 2 kids over 3 recruiting cycles
[/B]Amir Rasul-2016
Gilbert Frierson-2018

Killian: 1 kid over 3 recruiting cycles (although a ton of kids transferred to Southridge)
Delone Scaife-2018

South Dade: 2 kids over 3 recruiting cycles
Jawon Hamilton-2016
DJ Ivey-2018

Homestead: 1 kid over 3 recruiting cycles
Isaac Lipscomb-2018

Last edited:
Advertisement
The thing about kids in North Miami dade is that they can just transfer to a better school in broward like Miramar, STA, or American Heritage.

The thing about kids in North Miami dade is that they can just transfer to a better school in broward like Miramar, STA, or American Heritage.

Who are the Dade kids playing with those schools? Not saying there aren't any, just haven't heard of any of the big time kids at those schools being from Dade. Also, Carney went from Miramar to Central and Guy Thomas went to BTW from Columbus.

[MENTION=7984]Cane01[/MENTION] - Good topic! If you are looking for the real answer I wouldn't start at the end of the Sr year of HS. What you are digging into is very sophisticated. To do this properly I would start from the beginning that being Pop Warner. IMO, if you start there you will find that the inner city will always out produce the sub burgs. Track a kid from Pop Warner and you will start to see as the talent begins to emerge then other forces begin to channel the kid into different directions for most of the reasons that you listed.

Advertisement
I think some of it has to do with the changing look of Miami. Some of those neighbors that sent kids to these schools are being redeveloped and I'd assume some families displaced.

A lot of the south Miami kids don't get as recruited and tend to fly more under the radar because coaches and scouting services don't go so deep into the southern most part of Dade.

Like the RB from South Dade last year, easily a 4 star player. Didn't camp much and nobody really knew much about him. UCF got a steal.

They don't get as many stars but those are the kids from those schools that don't get much attention then they're high round picks and you wonder why they weren't heavily recruited.

Part of the reason is that football in Dade is watered down. Go back 5-6 years and Dade was truly loaded top to bottom. Not to mention every kid is told they are the greatest since optimist. Entitlement has changed Dade county football big time.

Nothing change..central will still whoop on any of the southern teams..BTW still goes to state...only team down is Mnw.

Norland/ Carol City are not inner city schools but carol city is stacked. Southridge just got a bunch of Killian transfers

Advertisement
@gogeta

Not talking strength of teams because school populations play into that. I'm talking about quality of prospects. It seems that outside of Central and CC the other northern Dade schools aren't producing as many top prospects as they used to. Particularly MNW, Norland, Jackson, and to a lesser extent BTW.

We're in the middle of about a 4 year period where we will want virtually nobody from those 4 schools who have always been good to us in terms of talent. Just seems strange.

@gogeta

Not talking strength of teams because school populations play into that. I'm talking about quality of prospects. It seems that outside of Central and CC the other northern Dade schools aren't producing as many top prospects as they used to. Particularly MNW, Norland, Jackson, and to a lesser extent BTW.

We're in the middle of about a 4 year period where we will want virtually nobody from those 4 schools who have always been good to us in terms of talent. Just seems strange.

MNW has been on the slide since Roland Smith and his staff got fired, then Central picked up the staff without Smith. The talent that would have went MNW went to Central with Lockette and the Dynasty begins.

I believe these things go in a cycle . Sometimes down south is just loaded like the early 2000's where Sean Taylor , Vilma, Gore, Rolle, Parrish, Chris Myers all came out around the same time. However, SouthRidge rise and hiring of an established coach has had an affect as well . Part booker T's dominance over the years has been there ability to get a lot of kids from down south . Central and Northwestrn have gotten kids from coral gables, coconut grove area as well. But now with SouthRidge having all those kids with offers and exposure it will only help homestead, south Dade , killian, etc. get better as kids will realize they don't have to go to an inner city school to get that hype and exposure at least thats how I see it

Advertisement
Interesting post [MENTION=7984]Cane01[/MENTION]

Even the best players on that 2014 Booker T team were from down south: Antonio Callaway, Devonta Davis and Maurice Alexander.

The West gone come back. I'd be shocked if they stay down for a long time.

they have already been down for a long time. its been all down hill for them since they smashed southlake carroll on espn. that was almost a decade ago.

Interesting post [MENTION=7984]Cane01[/MENTION]

Even the best players on that 2014 Booker T team were from down south: Antonio Callaway, Devonta Davis and Maurice Alexander.

[MENTION=2]DMoney[/MENTION]

Would love to hear your thoughts on this. Could just be cyclical. Has there been school population drops in Liberty City? Overtown? Are people moving elsewhere?

Advertisement
Interesting post @Cane01

@DMoney

Would love to hear your thoughts on this. Could just be cyclical. Has there been school population drops in Liberty City? Overtown? Are people moving elsewhere?

I think it's just cyclical. The South had some legendary Optimist teams recently, including one with Ermon Lane, Tyre Brady, Jaquan Johnson and others. There are a lot of young studs coming up in the North. But it's an interesting question.

Interesting post @Cane01

@DMoney

I think it's just cyclical. The South had some legendary Optimist teams recently, including one with Ermon Lane, Tyre Brady, Jaquan Johnson and others. There are a lot of young studs coming up in the North. But it's an interesting question.

I believe Tim Irvin was with them as well

Advertisement
Back