Da Hoyas!

Georgetown played for the National Championship in 82, 84, and 85... lost to Jordan, won in 84, and were upset in 85 in similar fashion as Miami did in 86 to psu. Miami and Georgetown were dominant, feared, and hated. They were very much alike! Boys in the Hood literally repped Georgetown, just like how Ice Cube respected the Canes because of their "Raiders" like style.
Everywhere you went during those years, everyone was wearing Gtown gear, just like they wore Canes starter jackets.

Advertisement
Read my Post earlier.....Out of the Mouths of Babes....

completely different perspective. Them being canes fan is one thing. I agree on the swagger. I was referring to it from a different POV. The us against the world mentality, small private school mixing it up with the blue bloods, being called thugs, they had a swagger to them, you can go on and on with the parallels. It’s a reason why Hoyas merch sold so much in Miami in the 80s.

Advertisement
I give no Fs about the title.....Fab 5s swagger & culture more closely resembled UMs than Georgetown's did....
Georgetown was more UM as for being the hated team by the main stream fan , they were the bad guys, everyone was rocking the Hoyas gear in the 80’s ( like UM) especially in hip hop. There was also the racial element with GT. Then I’d put UNLV. I was a huge fan of the fab five , I watched every one of their games , Webber being one of my all time favorites. But they were all unlv stans , Webber wore 4 because of LJ. Michigan did have a stylistic effect but they just ripped off Jordan’s baggy shorts , they just went longer/baggier. They did change the game like UM with some aspects but I still see GT more UM.

Fun fact I was rocking the gold baggy Michigan shorts ( in game style ) , black socks, air max with the blue swoosh warm up shirt lol. In 92-93 at an all white red neck school. The looks were priceless.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Georgetown was more UM as for as being the hated team by the main stream fan , they were the bag guys, everyone was rocking the Hoyas gear in the 80’s ( like UM) especially in hip hop. There was also the racial element with GT. Then I’d put UNLV. I was a huge fan of the fab five , I watched every one of their games , Webber being one of my all time favorites. But they were all unlv stans , Webber wore 4 because of LJ. Michigan did have a stylistic effect but they just ripped off Jordan’s baggy shorts , they just went longer/baggier. They did change the game like UM with some aspects but I still see GT more UM.

Fun fact I was rocking the gold baggy Michigan shorts ( in game style ) , black socks, air max with the blue swoosh warm up shirt lol. In 92-93 at an all white red neck school. The looks were priceless.
I'll listen to them....Never heard GT Rep the U like Fab5 did...

I’m just going on image and comparing. GT checks the boxes more imo. Unlv had that swagger and talked mad trash too, which was crazy to see on the court in the 88-90.
But DIDNT rep the U or compare them to the U in public....Im sticking what I was told....

Advertisement
Rose liked um , he wore um gear all the time. But they wore unlv gear too, I mean every urban kid did then. It was unlv , GT , Raiders and UM. All were considered the bad guys in their time.
Jimmy King said he Loved UM....even Webber was nodding enthusiastically....All I can go by....

I love the Hoyas and that Fab Five team, but I think that UNLV team more accurately depicts the dominance UM had, especially those '01/'02 teams. UNLV also shows what the "powers-that-be" tried to do UM as punishment for embarrassing a blue blood.
Unlv dominated for real. That one loss to duke was like our loss in the bowl I won’t name. No way it should’ve happened and it ruined what would’ve been something we’d never seen again. From back to backs with crazy dominance and a winning streak. We’d hit the 40’s with the streak if we don’t lose. If you played either game twenty times that would be the one loss.

Advertisement
Jimmy King said he Loved UM....even Webber was nodding enthusiastically....All I can go by....
Like I said I’m going off of comparing the styles and images. And yeah they did wear um gear , everyone in hood did. Everyone had the Miami , unlv or raiders starter. 2pac stayed wearing running rebels gear. Unlv was the fab five before the fab five on being cool. Unlv had the same effect in the hood as um, GT and the raiders. But as for as being a fan they were legit unlv stans. Webber copied his entire game off of Larry Johnson and even wore both the number 4 and 2 in the nba because of LJ.

Tbh don’t even think we’re arguing because there’s no wrong answer.

I became a UM fan because of the bad guy image. Dancing and talking trash. Even though I’m white I love how rustled white folks were at um.

@KANE ....here's a story about the Fab 5 that I've shared with @Rellyrell & @TheOriginalCane awhile back....
In 1992 Michigan, Seton Hall and I forget who else were in a Easter Tournament in Orlando (Old Arena) and were staying at the Omni (now the Marriott) where a close friend was the Executive Chef. I at the time had a place close to Downtown, and decided to stop by a friends Sandwich Shop (MaMa B's Subs) which was within walking distance of both the Arena & The Omni....as i'm walking in (UM Hat and Shirt on)...Low & Behold Jalen Rose, Webber & Jimmy King are walking out.....before I could say anything, Rose walks up and says "Nice Hat"...
and I proceeded to have a convo with them for a good 5mins....Rose, with Webber and King nodding in agreement, said he considered them the Canes of College BB....he said all of them Loved their Swagger and Confidence and tried to emulate them on the court....All of them were cordial as can be.
If you have to crown yourself... you probably aren't the king.

Last edited:
Unlv dominated for real. That one loss to duke was like our loss in the bowl I won’t name. No way it should’ve happened and it ruined what would’ve been something we’d never seen again. From back to backs with crazy dominance and a winning streak. We’d hit the 40’s with the streak if we don’t lose. If you played either game twenty times that would be the one loss.
And that's why that UNLV looks like UM more than any other team. The fact that they NEVER TRAILED at any point in the season except for that semi final game against Puke is unheard-of. A great question would be who was more dominant at their height; UNLV or UM.

Advertisement
Back