Da Hoyas!

Advertisement
Advertisement

Congrats to Coach Pat Ewing & the Hoyas! GTown was my fav college basketball team in the 90’s, great to see them pull off the unthinkable considering how rough their season had been up until right before the Big east tourney.

@Hoyacane1620 HoyaSaxa!

I watched the game. Rough start but they pulled it together. Such a great win for the program. Listening to Ewing speak after the win made me feel emotional, too. He's come a long way since he started at Gtown in 1981

Advertisement
I give no Fs about the title.....Fab 5s swagger & culture more closely resembled UMs than Georgetown's did....
But GTown had that intimidation factor, from the coach on down. When they stepped on the court, you knew they was finna kick ***! IMO, that made GTown more like the old school JJ era Canes. Umich had swag, but it was oozing from mostly those 5. GTown had all dese brothas on the team representing a PWI that most folk probably didn’t realize even had a basketball team. Much like our beloved canes.

Advertisement
I give no Fs about the title.....Fab 5s swagger & culture more closely resembled UMs than Georgetown's did....
Georgetown played for the National Championship in 82, 84, and 85... lost to Jordan, won in 84, and were upset in 85 in similar fashion as Miami did in 86 to psu. Miami and Georgetown were dominant, feared, and hated. They were very much alike! Boys in the Hood literally repped Georgetown, just like how Ice Cube respected the Canes because of their "Raiders" like style.

@KANE ....here's a story about the Fab 5 that I've shared with @Rellyrell & @TheOriginalCane awhile back....
In 1992 Michigan, Seton Hall and I forget who else were in a Easter Tournament in Orlando (Old Arena) and were staying at the Omni (now the Marriott) where a close friend was the Executive Chef. I at the time had a place close to Downtown, and decided to stop by a friends Sandwich Shop (MaMa B's Subs) which was within walking distance of both the Arena & The Omni....as i'm walking in (UM Hat and Shirt on)...Low & Behold Jalen Rose, Webber & Jimmy King are walking out.....before I could say anything, Rose walks up and says "Nice Hat"...
and I proceeded to have a convo with them for a good 5mins....Rose, with Webber and King nodding in agreement, said he considered them the Canes of College BB....he said all of them Loved their Swagger and Confidence and tried to emulate them on the court....All of them were cordial as can be.

Georgetown played for the National Championship in 82, 84, and 85... lost to Jordan, won in 84, and were upset in 85 in similar fashion as Miami did in 86 to psu. Miami and Georgetown were dominant, feared, and hated. They were very much alike! Boys in the Hood literally repped Georgetown, just like how Ice Cube respected the Canes because of their "Raiders" like style.
This!

Advertisement
@KANE ....here's a story about the Fab 5 that I've shared with @Rellyrell & @TheOriginalCane awhile back....
In 1992 Michigan, Seton Hall and I forget who else were in a Easter Tournament in Orlando (Old Arena) and were staying at the Omni (now the Marriott) where a close friend was the Executive Chef. I at the time had a place close to Downtown, and decided to stop by a friends Sandwich Shop (MaMa B's Subs) which was within walking distance of both the Arena & The Omni....as i'm walking in (UM Hat and Shirt on)...Low & Behold Jalen Rose, Webber & Jimmy King are walking out.....before I could say anything, Rose walks up and says "Nice Hat"...
and I proceeded to have a convo with them for a good 5mins....Rose, with Webber and King nodding in agreement, said he considered them the Canes of College BB....he said all of them Loved their Swagger and Confidence and tried to emulate them on the court....All of them were cordial as can be.
Close thread....

Advertisement
Back