D$ shares exclusive spring practice insights

View as article
The Iowa kid will be playing some safety so I wouldn’t put him in the full time portal cb department.

Advertisement
Re: 12 personnel.

Just because an offense uses 2 tight ends at the same time doesn't mean they're in some type of tight formation. Most of the time it features a tight end in the slot or even split wide. If you've got a 240lb wide receiver who runs a 4.5, you shouldn't be playing him inline anyway...unless you're the worst OC in UM history. If anything, 12 personnel with a receiving tight end can put the defense in a bigger bind than typical 11 personnel with a run of the mill slot guy. The defense has to counter with a base look or risk getting mauled defending the run with a nickel against two tight ends.

Advertisement
Are there any portal CB that’s might fit the bill in the portal or that you think will become available?? Do you think Bobby Washington was underrated?? @DMoney @Cribby
I’m not either of those guys but rest assured the perfect player will appear in the portal after spring. Whichever position we need, they will be there.

Advertisement
Thanks for the update! Just seems much of the same with lots of what ifs and hopes. Appears we need at least the following portal transfers who were proven starters at the P5 level to make this team an 8-9 game winner next season. If not, I'm afraid we will resemble more like a 6-7 win team.

OL - One for certain maybe two more.
WR - Two
DT - One and needs to be a 300lb type
LB - One
DB - One
Add a running back to this group and we are good.

Are there any portal CB that’s might fit the bill in the portal or that you think will become available?? Do you think Bobby Washington was underrated?? @DMoney @Cribby
There’ll be quality hitting the portal versus quantity at a lot of positions. We landed two of our best guys last year after spring. Go listen to d money and myself discussing spring football, Bobby is one of the first guys I mentioned that could make an impact early, even if it’s st’s . He’s very underrated.

If we’re running a lot of 12 personnel and it’s not just Skinner flexed out we are ****ed.

Advertisement
I will end commenting any further by just highlighting Dawson at Houston ran almost as much as Gattis.

With his only offense that the analytic metrics ranked worth a ****, being the one last year.

When he had to go back to his more traditional Air Raid offense and throw the ball around more because he couldn’t get anything out of the running game.

That might not be a coincidence.

Re: 12 personnel.

Just because an offense uses 2 tight ends at the same time doesn't mean they're in some type of tight formation. Most of the time it features a tight end in the slot or even split wide. If you've got a 240lb wide receiver who runs a 4.5, you shouldn't be playing him inline anyway...unless you're the worst OC in UM history. If anything, 12 personnel with a receiving tight end can put the defense in a bigger bind than typical 11 personnel with a run of the mill slot guy. The defense has to counter with a base look or risk getting mauled defending the run with a nickel against two tight ends.

Maybe.

But we’ve got a TE that is apparently purely a blocking TE.

If you’re running 12 with him, you’ve bunched them box, and put a non-receiving threat on the field.

With his only offense that the analytic metrics ranked worth a ****, being the one last year.

When he had to go back to his more traditional Air Raid offense and throw the ball around more because he couldn’t get anything out of the running game.

That might not be a coincidence.

Are you saying here that his one year worth a **** and the year he ran most are one in the same? Last year Houston's F+ improved 35 rankings running the ball 5.6 attempts less per game while maintaining nearly identical yards per game and almost a full yard higher per rush.

My mistake if I'm reading your post wrong.

Advertisement
Wondering if we are running 12 personnel because the RB position is 🗑 , and our WR corp is suspect. Making matters worse, we don’t have a proven TE on the roster.

Maybe I’m off, but this doesn’t sound very promising.
Lol we are running 12 personnel because we have an extremely talented TE Room

Eventually whoever is responsible for CB recruiting & development has to do a better job...

Either something is wrong with the evals/scouting aspect, or there’s something lacking in the teaching department.

The fact Miami struggles to find 2 serviceable CB’s **** near every year continues to be an overlooked problem.
Can’t land elite CBs and DTs for nothing and it’s been like this for a long time

What are your thoughts on Graves? He seems like an intriguing prospect with high end potential.
Seemed like an excellent CB prospect to mold. Great feet. A lot of plus attributes. I haven't seen enough of him here to say much else. I no longer get to watch any practices.

Advertisement
Back