D$ shares exclusive spring practice insights

View as article
Love Kelly and we know what Messidor brings to the table. After that we just dont got it man. Chantz is meh but okay as a rotational guy, and Harvey is a situational pass rusher nothing more. Hopefully Bain and Wayne step up, cause we will need them.
Sounds like Bain will break into the rotation immediately. Not sure about Wayne

Advertisement
I wouldn't call Kelly and Chantz undersized. They are built the right way at edge. Agree on the other two.

Kelly is fine albeit a little light because he's quick twitched.

Chantz is a tweener. He's not a quick twitch and he's not an edge setter.

Anyway, JMO.

Advertisement
I’m all for running the ball. I’m against inviting more defensive players into the box and then running the ball. It should be a numbers game. See Art Briles.

Trying to pass it off like we have such a talented set of TEs, when we don’t, seems like typical offseason fodder.

I never tried to pass anything off. You’re putting those words in my mouth just based on posting a not-so-randomly selected article (because Monken is great) about 12 personnel questioning it as evidence Mario is holding Dawson back.

As long as we run/pass interchangeably from 12 its fine.

****, OSU, Riley at OU (not sure about USC), Big 12 Air Raid bros etc use it.

-PFF.com, prior to the BAMA title game.
"Ohio State is already a pretty heavy 12 personnel team — a grouping that means it will play with a running back, two receivers and two tight ends. The Buckeyes have done this on 174 snaps this season, and it makes up 33% of their offense, good enough for 28th in the country. They are efficient in it, too. Their .27 expected points added (EPA) per play in 12 personnel is better than their .2 EPA per play in 11 personnel."

-Aranda on defenses designed against the spread:
"One offensive answer to all of this defensive noise was to bring in more tight ends. This had quite the domino effect for defenses. These 12 and 13 offensive sets, along with “wing sets,” or a tight end with another player usually lined up 1-by-1 yards off of the tight end, really strain a three-man defensive front, especially one with extra defensive backs on the field. "

Surely Baylor has TEs of equal talent to UGA though. Or Texas Tech for that matter....

"At Texas Tech, Cumbie’s system had a few unique components. For one, his one-back formations often included two tight ends, commonly called 12 personnel packages. His offense also includes more designed quarterback runs than most Air Raid systems."

Add Saban who went with Rees........a heavy 12 personnel guy.....

TLDR again: 12 personnel is clearly not a sign of Mario holding Dawson back. This opinion may hold true, but its not because of personnel packages. I will end commenting any further by just highlighting Dawson at Houston ran almost as much as Gattis.

If I was a Neanderthal, I'd be insulted.

Even though Neanderthals ARE extinct now - with their run-heavy offense -

Whereas Cro-Magnons used Archery and spear throwing. "Things through the air . . . "

Why not? You can identify as anything now-a-days.

Advertisement
I never tried to pass anything off. You’re putting those words in my mouth just based on posting a not-so-randomly selected article (because Monken is great) about 12 personnel questioning it as evidence Mario is holding Dawson back.

As long as we run/pass interchangeably from 12 its fine.

****, OSU, Riley at OU (not sure about USC), Big 12 Air Raid bros etc use it.

-PFF.com, prior to the BAMA title game.
"Ohio State is already a pretty heavy 12 personnel team — a grouping that means it will play with a running back, two receivers and two tight ends. The Buckeyes have done this on 174 snaps this season, and it makes up 33% of their offense, good enough for 28th in the country. They are efficient in it, too. Their .27 expected points added (EPA) per play in 12 personnel is better than their .2 EPA per play in 11 personnel."

-Aranda on defenses designed against the spread:
"One offensive answer to all of this defensive noise was to bring in more tight ends. This had quite the domino effect for defenses. These 12 and 13 offensive sets, along with “wing sets,” or a tight end with another player usually lined up 1-by-1 yards off of the tight end, really strain a three-man defensive front, especially one with extra defensive backs on the field. "

Surely Baylor has TEs of equal talent to UGA though. Or Texas Tech for that matter....

"At Texas Tech, Cumbie’s system had a few unique components. For one, his one-back formations often included two tight ends, commonly called 12 personnel packages. His offense also includes more designed quarterback runs than most Air Raid systems."

Add Saban who went with Rees........a heavy 12 personnel guy.....

TLDR again: 12 personnel is clearly not a sign of Mario holding Dawson back. This opinion may hold true, but its not because of personnel packages. I will end commenting any further by just highlighting Dawson at Houston ran almost as much as Gattis.
An answer for 10 personnel heavy teams facing multiple fronts is to add a TE into the game because it creates an extra gap that the defense has to honor. In doing so, you can start to predict strength/leverage in the run game. He doesn't have to be Kelce to have an impact.

Wondering if we are running 12 personnel because the RB position is 🗑 , and our WR corp is suspect. Making matters worse, we don’t have a proven TE on the roster.

Maybe I’m off, but this doesn’t sound very promising.

Eventually whoever is responsible for CB recruiting & development has to do a better job...

Either something is wrong with the evals/scouting aspect, or there’s something lacking in the teaching department.

The fact Miami struggles to find 2 serviceable CB’s **** near every year continues to be an overlooked problem.
So Rumph is no longer Rumphing??

Advertisement
Wondering if we are running 12 personnel because the RB position is 🗑 , and our WR corp is suspect. Making matters worse, we don’t have a proven TE on the roster.

How does running 12 mean that the RB position isn’t good? Def need to hear that one spelled out. Even though our RB room is shaky right now I just don’t get the logic

They brought in 2 Portal CB’s but are still in need of a another starter CB, so what does that tell you?
That tells me guys need to step up. At some point, whenever that is, we have to elevate the play of the players we have, if they have the physical tools like Graves and Harris. If they are not athletically up to par then thats another issue. If Guidry can get players from Marshall to play the way they have, i need some of that here. After recruiting is over players have to be developed.

Advertisement
They brought in 2 Portal CB’s but are still in need of a another starter CB, so what does that tell you?
mad-max-mediocre.gif

Maybe 12 with RPO like the Dolphins run.

Advertisement
Back