D$'s Top 25 Prospects in Dade/Broward- #15-11

View as article

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
Over the past two years, I’ve been lucky enough to see Dade and Broward’s best compete on the gridiron, at camps and at 7-on-7s. The list below is my personal opinion, and I don’t speak for Peter, Tito, Cam or Nash. All forty times are verified by SPARQ.

15. Treon Harris, ATH, Booker T (5’11.5, 186, 4.58)- Intelligent and productive coach’s son who accounted for 50 TDs during Booker T’s state title run. The half-brother of Brandon Harris (on his dad’s side) and Thearon Collier (on his mom’s side). Harris always been known as a gamer, but it was his physical stats that surprised observers at the Miami SPARQ combine. Look how Harris measured up against the other top corners in his class:

• Treon Harris- 5’11, 181, 4.48
  • Nigel Bethel- 5’9, 170, 4.61
  • Chris Lammons- 5’9.5, 159, 4.62
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1505830/highlights/32872414

14. Anthony Moten, DL, St. Thomas Aquinas (6’4, 292, 5.17)- After an eight-sack season playing next to Ohio State signee Joey Bosa, Moten will now be the focus of opposing offenses as a senior. Can play either inside or outside, but may project best as a strong-side defensive end in certain systems (including Miami's) . Has held a Canes offer since his sophomore year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0y0HtKLx7U

13. Khairi Clark, DT, Chaminade Madonna (6’1.5, 329, 5.46)- One of the biggest boom or bust prospects in the class, which is why he lands right in the middle of the list. Only played half the snaps against University School and struggled with his conditioning on the camp circuit. However, possesses rare combination of bulk, burst and aggression.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Sv0AWvZ2_U

12. Corey Holmes, WR, St. Thomas Aquinas (6’2, 176, 4.48)- The most college-ready receiver in the state. Dubbed the “next big thing” at STA by Hall of Fame receiver Cris Carter, Holmes runs sharp routes and plucks the ball away from his body. His size (6’2) and explosiveness (4.48, 39 VJ) separate him from other polished possession receivers that have come out in recent years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnfHSA1IUfs

11. Joe Yearby, RB, Central (5’9, 178, 4.58)- A household name since Pop Warner, Yearby has rushed for almost 4,000 yards over the past two years. Makes up for average size and speed with elite vision and footwork. To borrow a comparison from gcane44, Yearby is Gio Bernard-like as a runner and pass-catcher.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIAS8GW-5SQ

Advertisement
The list so far:

11. Joe Yearby
12. Corey Holmes
13. Khairi Clark
14. Anthony Moten
15. Treon Harris
16. Jaquan Johnson
17. Quincy Wilson
18. Chris Lammons
19. Tyrek Cole
20. Mike Smith
21. Brandon Powell
22. Nigel Bethel II
23. Sam Bruce
24. A'lique Terry
25. Trayone "Chocolate" Grey

Good stuff! Appreciate the shout out.

The two DL listed both have crazy potential. I think they are listed right where they should be because both Clark and Moten have all the talent to be dominant but it seems more attitude and consistency needs to be shown to put them in the elite top ten group. WE HAVE TO STEAL ONE OF THEM FROM FLORIDA!

Treon Harris has the physical makeup to be a nasty CB. Anywhere else on the field - meh

That time on Nigel is suprising.....Gotta believe a kid who runs sub 22 200m can do better than 4.6. If not, I'd be worried about his short area burst. Any numbers from his shuttle run?

Advertisement
Surprised Yearby is out of your top 10. Dudes even getting disrespected on a Canes site. Bet you would have him higher if he was commited to UiF, LOL

Only kidding

I understand this is just an opinion piece and it is much appreciated. Looking forward to see who's top ten that you have Yearby not in it. And I totally disagree with it obviously. Seriously this kid really doesn't get the love and appreciation he should.

For me this is simple, he's been a legend since pop warner, who else on this list has? Last year when Central sputtered a bit, they switched the offense to have both Yearby and Cook on the field the same time, they put Yearby at QB, to take the snap. The coaches who know both of them, put Yearby in position to get the ball every time and have the plays come from that, not anybody else but him. So Yearby was chosen to be the best option to have the ball in his hands most of the time and have the offense go through him first, for the state champion Central Rockets. So again how in God's name do you have this guy not in top 10?! And for everyone else, stop gushing over measurables and gush over Yearby he's earned it and he is it.

Yearby out of the top 10, ohh so interested to see the response.

Also to add about Clark, I went to the same game against University. Dude seemed to spend more time on the sideline than anything. I am sure when he gets in a college program they will have him shed the bad weight that is holding him back. Got to be on the field to make an impact

Advertisement
I understand this is just an opinion piece and it is much appreciated. Looking forward to see who's top ten that you have Yearby not in it. And I totally disagree with it obviously. Seriously this kid really doesn't get the love and appreciation he should.

I think Yearby is a very good back. Top 11 in a loaded year like this is no disrespect. He is ranked ahead of some blue chip players who can go anywhere in the country.

But I do have concerns about a between-the-tackles back who is 5'9, 179 and lacks breakaway speed. At the next level, defenders are bigger and faster. Yearby won't be breaking a ton of tackles and he won't be running by guys. His vision and feet will carry him a long way, but that limits his upside.

You mention that Yearby is an Optimist legend, which is true. However, so is JoJo Robinson, and I didn't even include him on the list. Some guys bloom earlier than others. This list is a projection for college. I think Yearby is going to be a good college back, but I don't think he's heads-and-shoulders above a guy like Daryl Chestnut (who was also very productive last year).

The bottom line is that he's a Cane and one of the best football players in South Florida. I'm glad he chose us.

Yearby out of the top 10, ohh so interested to see the response.

Also to add about Clark, I went to the same game against University. Dude seemed to spend more time on the sideline than anything. I am sure when he gets in a college program they will have him shed the bad weight that is holding him back. Got to be on the field to make an impact

Agreed. Dont get me wrong, I take him in a heartbeat of course, but he's got those qualities that you see struggle at the next level. Curious to see how he steps up this year but I would think its going to take him a few years before he starts to see the field.

I wouldn't say not buying into the Clark hype but just being sensible about it.

We would all take him in a heartbeat if he was committed to us.
But like he said he's a boom or bust type of prospect that can be an All American or fall to 4th on the Depth Chart.

Advertisement
I wouldn't say not buying into the Clark hype but just being sensible about it.

We would all take him in a heartbeat if he was committed to us.
But like he said he's a boom or bust type of prospect that can be an All American or fall to 4th on the Depth Chart.

Very Marcus Forston-esque as far as that goes. Seems like a good kid though (up until the UiF thing anyway) and I don't think some people think about how tough being well over 300 lbs as a teenager can be on a body that isn't physically mature yet. Some of these DT's look like 30 year old men in high school, though some actually are. Clark is a baby, plenty of time to put in work.

Advertisement
Thanks for the work D$. Any idea on what the deal with Holmes? I don't think he's too interested in being a Cane. Last I saw (on Rivals so TIFWIW) is that he's got UCLA and Nd in his top two.

The more I think about it, the happier I am that we got Gus last year. I'm not big on needing a power back and scat back kinda crap, but between Duke and Yearby, we don't really have that guy that can convert a 4 & inches by just running people over. I want one more back in this class (Cook come on down) and think we'll be pretty good back there.

The more I think about it, the happier I am that we got Gus last year. I'm not big on needing a power back and scat back kinda crap, but between Duke and Yearby, we don't really have that guy that can convert a 4 & inches by just running people over. I want one more back in this class (Cook come on down) and think we'll be pretty good back there.

I think Gus is going to surprise a lot of people while at Miami

Advertisement
Back