D$'s Pre-Season Top 25 Prospects in Dade/Broward

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
Over the past two years, I’ve been lucky enough to see Dade and Broward’s best compete on the gridiron, at camps and at 7-on-7s. The list below is my personal opinion, and I don’t speak for Peter, Tito, Cam or Nash. All forty times are verified by SPARQ. NOTE: I did not include Travonte Valentine as a Dade/Broward prospect because he hasn't played a real game down here yet. If you include him in the mix, he is likely a Top 10 prospect.

1. Dalvin Cook, RB, Central (5’11, 196 lbs., 4.46)- Youth football superstar who has emerged as the biggest playmaker in the state. Played his signature game in the state semifinal at Naples, where he turned 10 offensive touches into 233 yards and 4 TDs. Also plays cornerback full-time for the Rockets.

2. Sony Michel, RB, American Heritage (5’11, 210)- Two years removed from a torn ACL, Michel is poised to take back the number one spot. One of the most mentally and physically mature players in the nation. When he goes to high school camps it looks like he’s participating in the NFL Combine. Ran a 10.73 100M after his knee injury, and is close to regaining the pre-injury cutting ability that made him the best prospect in Florida.

3. Shawn Burgess-Becker, WR, Monarch- A natural. Played mostly safety in 2012 before exploding as a wide receiver during the off-season circuit. Everything about his game looks easy: his route-running, the way he uses his body to keep defenders away, his ability to snatch the football. Should emerge as a five-star prospect in the class of 2015.

4. Ermon Lane, WR, Homestead (6’2, 196 lbs, 4.52)- Elite vertical receiver with downfield speed and the ability to grab the ball at its highest point. Lane is a 48-minute player who gets snaps at WR, CB, H-back and returner for the Broncos. Luther Campbell and the elite Northwestern defense would line two defenders in front of Lane like he was the gunner on a punt, and Lane still found a way to get open and catch the ball.

5. Jordan Scarlett, RB, University School- (5’11, 200)- Arguably the top back in the nation for 2015. Even though he is built like a young Trent Richardson, his gliding running style reminds me of Darren McFadden. Possesses legitimate breakaway speed to go along with his power. Ran for 1,351 yards and 22 TDs as a sophomore.

6. Chad Thomas, DE, Booker T (6’5, 240, 4.85)- The best defensive end to come out of Miami since Corey Lemonier. Attends New World School of the Arts where he specializes in an instrument called the Euphonium. Thomas is a high motor player who was named DL MVP of the Miami NFTC and the Opening.

7. Trevor Darling, OL, Central (6’4.5, 327, 5.73)- The centerpiece of the most talented offensive line in the state. Darling combines a huge frame with flexibility and a mean streak. Nowhere near his ceiling and should blossom in a college strength and conditioning program.

8. Ravian Pierce, TE, Plantation (6’4, 215)- A Butch Davis-style recruit: Big, athletic and aggressive. Physical to the point of dirty. Will seek out crackbacks away from the play. Still raw as a pass-catcher but possesses huge upside as an everydown tight end or even a defensive end.

9. Quinton Flowers, ATH, Jackson, (6’0, 203, 4.72)- Consummate football player who throws, runs, tackles and punts for the Generals. Cemented his legend against American Heritage- he threw a TD, ran a TD and returned an INT for a TD in the biggest upset of the playoffs. Although he is undersized for a QB, he is a good-sized athlete who measured bigger than Mike Smith and Trayone Gray at the SPARQ combine. Can play spread QB but projects best as a safety.

10. Sean White, QB, University (6’1, 195, 5.05)- The champion of the off-season is even better when the pads come on. White put up big numbers last fall for Chaminade (3,300 yards, 40 TDs, 6) and now joins a U-School offense brimming with D-1 talent. He is not a runner but he is tough as **** and can move around the pocket.

11. Joe Yearby, RB, Central (5’9, 178, 4.58)- A household name since Pop Warner, Yearby has rushed for almost 4,000 yards over the past two years. Makes up for average size and speed with elite vision and footwork. To borrow a comparison from gcane44, Yearby is Gio Bernard-like as a runner and pass-catcher.

12. Corey Holmes, WR, St. Thomas Aquinas (6’2, 176, 4.48)- The most college-ready receiver in the state. Dubbed the “next big thing” at STA by Hall of Fame receiver Cris Carter, Holmes runs sharp routes and plucks the ball away from his body. His size (6’2) and explosiveness (4.48, 39 VJ) separate him from other polished possession receivers that have come out in recent years.

13. Khairi Clark, DT, Chaminade Madonna (6’1.5, 329, 5.46)- One of the biggest boom or bust prospects in the class, which is why he lands right in the middle of the list. Only played half the snaps against University School and struggled with his conditioning on the camp circuit. However, possesses rare combination of bulk, burst and aggression.

14. Anthony Moten, DL, St. Thomas Aquinas (6’4, 292, 5.17)- After an eight-sack season playing next to Ohio State signee Joey Bosa, Moten will now be the focus of opposing offenses as a senior. Can play either inside or outside, but may project best as a strong-side defensive end with the ability to two-gap. Has held a Miami offer since his sophomore year.

15. Treon Harris, ATH, Booker T (5’11.5, 186, 4.58)- Intelligent and efficient coach’s son who accounted for 50 TDs during Booker T’s state title run. The half-brother of Brandon Harris (on his dad’s side) and Thearon Collier (on his mom’s side). Harris always been known as a gamer, but it was his physical stats that surprised observers at the Miami SPARQ combine:

• Treon Harris- 5’11, 181, 4.48
  • Nigel Bethel- 5’9, 170, 4.61
  • Chris Lammons- 5’9.5, 159, 4.62

16. Jaquan Johnson, ATH, Killian (5’10, 169, 4.68)- Dynamic RB/S who carried an undersized and overachieving Killian squad to the regional finals. The 2015 prospect is still growing into his body (his brother is 6’2) and projects as a safety at the next level. The key for Johnson will be how he bounces back from a back injury that kept him out of spring practice.

17. Quincy Wilson, CB/S, University (6’1, 196, 4.6)- One of the most focused and determined competitors I saw during the off-season circuit. Nobody took more reps than Wilson at the Miami NFTC, and he challenged every top receiver in attendance. Very physical at the LOS and uses his size to bully receivers. The only question: does he have the transition skills to remain at corner or is safety in his future?

18. Chris Lammons, CB, Plantation (5’9.5, 171, 4.72)- Like former ‘Cane Brandon McGee, Lammons plays quarterback for the Colonels but projects as a cornerback at the next level. Although he does not have McGee’s size or speed, Lammons is a quick and balanced athlete who gained experience at cornerback on the South Florida Express 7-on-7 team. Plays bigger than his size due to his long arms.

19. Tyrek Cole, CB, Miramar (5’11, 165)- Classic Miramar player- intelligent, athletic and confident. Cole will remind many of former Patriot Tracy Howard with his aggressiveness and polished game. As a member of the South Florida Express, Cole has faced elite competition and is one of the most battle-tested junior cornerbacks in the nation.

20. Michael Smith, OLB/DE, Northwestern (6’2, 196, 4.86)- Relentless pass rusher who put up 73 tackles and 18 sacks on a loaded Northwestern defense. After spending 2012 as a down lineman, Smith will be playing linebacker in 2013 in preparation for his Hurricane career. Struggled a bit in coverage at the Al Golden Camp but possesses the athleticism and work ethic to improve in this area.

21. Brandon Powell, ATH, Deerfield Beach (5’9, 170, 4.49)- The Tennessee commit is one of the most well-rounded athletes in Florida. Not only is Powell an accomplished runner (1,180 yards, 13 TDs) and receiver (4 TDs), but he also carries a sterling 4.1 GPA. Exceptionally quick player who earned an offer at the Al Golden Camp by competing as a running back, receiver and defensive back.

22. Nigel Bethel II, CB, Booker T, (5’9, 170, 4.61)- One of the fastest 200M sprinters in the country with a personal best of 21.13. Bethel reminds me of Kelly Jennings in the way he combines straight-line speed with smooth movement skills. Breakout performance in the state title game to go along with four interceptions and 13 pass breakups during the season.

23. Sam Bruce, WR, University, (5’8, 165)- Despite his youth and lack of height, the 2016 star is one of the most confident players in the state. Bruce exploded during the 7-on-7 circuit as a member of the South Florida Express and already holds a Miami offer. He is the nephew of former Dillard star Isaac Bruce.

24. A’lique Terry, C, Hialeah (6’1, 294)- Coach’s son with stout body and very good athleticism. OL MVP of Al Golden camp and the only lineman who could block Travonte Valentine. Also excelled against top competition at Miami NFTC.

25. Trayone “Chocolate” Gray, ATH, Carol City (6’2, 194, 4.66)- Versatile athlete with a college-ready body. Like former Chief Allen Hurns, the Miami commitment lines up all over the field and takes snaps at quarterback. Gray can play offense but projects as a big safety at the next level.

Last edited:
Advertisement
223.gif

and

Advertisement
What do you think of Tarvarus McFadden and Torrance Gibson? Both high level bcs players

What do you think of Tarvarus McFadden and Torrance Gibson? Both high level bcs players

Love Gibson. Saw him for the first time at an Al Golden camp in 2012. Even then, Heritage people were saying that he was their best quarterback. He could climb high on this list with a good year.

McFadden is a huge corner (6'3 if you include his high-top), and a monster at the LOS. The question with him will be speed, but he is a very good athlete. The matchup with D'Vante Phillips on August 30th will be very interesting to watch.

Love Gibson. Saw him for the first time at an Al Golden camp in 2012. Even then, Heritage people were saying that he was their best quarterback. He could climb high on this list with a good year.

McFadden is a huge corner (6'3 if you include his high-top), and a monster at the LOS. The question with him will be speed, but he is a very good athlete. The matchup with D'Vante Phillips on August 30th will be very interesting to watch.

I agree. I think Gibson will move into at least your top 10. Kid is a beast at WR as well. McFadden is on the fastest 4x400 team in the nation but I've heard the same thing about his on field speed. Him and Juwan Doweles will switch off on Phillips. It's gonna be a good game, I wish the Miami opener wasn't the same day

Advertisement
What's this list look like now that we're halfway into the season?

Still a lot of football to watch, but Anthony Moten and Treon Harris are two guys that have really impressed me as seniors. Sean White and Ermon Lane were a bit disappointing in the Kickoff Classic, but they will have opportunities to show out against great competition (Lane against Central this Saturday, White against Central and possibly BTW at the end of the year).

Demetrius Jackson wasn't on the list, but he is definitely going to rank high on the next one. He is much more comfortable with contact than I thought he would be.

I've heard pretty much nothing about lammons and pierce so far this season

You better stop screwin' around and put my boy Juwan Dowels on that **** list.

Dude is the best CB in Broward right now. Gettin' picks, scoring TD runs, hawking down ball carriers and saving touchdowns, taking INT's to the house.

Let's go DMoney tighten up!

You better stop screwin' around and put my boy Juwan Dowels on that **** list.

Dude is the best CB in Broward right now. Gettin' picks, scoring TD runs, hawking down ball carriers and saving touchdowns, taking INT's to the house.

Let's go DMoney tighten up!

I'm actually watching him tomorrow against Jackson. Excited to see him match up against Durante.

Advertisement
My main issue was Sean White's inclusiveness within the top ten and halfway through it still is. I never got it and I don't now.

My main issue was Sean White's inclusiveness within the top ten and halfway through it still is. I never got it and I don't now.

You should have seen him against Manatee. He was dealing. Outstanding touch on bucket throws, great release, and good pocket movement. The games against Central (next week) and Booker T will tell us a lot.

One guy who will be moving up is Joe Yearby. He was already very good and looks improved this year.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back