D$ Portal Recruiting Watch List

He was average at his very best.

Even his Freshman season wasn’t that good. He’s shown zero improvement or upside in 4 years of play.

He’s not going to suddenly play well above his means in year 5, what the film has shown is who he is.

That sounds like the very definition of a JAG. Everyone complained about Ivey and Knowles. But we're going to bring in a mini-me version of them? I'd rather stick with Couch and Porter, and hopefully focus on coaching up Graves.

Advertisement
Davis is there to raise the floor, not the ceiling. He’s in the same category as Couch and Porter, but we needed another guy.

Corners are hard to find. For perspective, 247 has Davis as the 6th overall player in the portal and a blue-chip transfer with a 90 rating. And he’s nothing special, just experienced.

We want to add 2, and the hope is the next guy is a true impact talent. It might be tough sledding.

He was average at his very best.

Even his Freshman season wasn’t that good. He’s shown zero improvement or upside in 4 years of play.

He’s not going to suddenly play well above his means in year 5, what the film has shown is who he is.
I get all that but players do continue to improve as their career goes on. Oklahoma has been a Top 10 program who recruits very well and Davis has found a way to get on the field for them for 4 years straight. Maybe Guidry can use him as hybrid Nickel/Safety role, sometimes a change in scenery can really turn things around for a player. It would give us another quality player who can battle for the Nickel spot.

Advertisement
I get all that but players do continue to improve as their career goes on. Oklahoma has been a Top 10 program who recruits very well and Davis has found a way to get on the field for them for 4 years straight. Maybe Guidry can use him as hybrid Nickel/Safety role, sometimes a change in scenery can really turn things around for a player. It would give us another quality player who can battle for the Nickel spot.
He hasn’t improved, that’s the point. He’s been the same player for 4 years.

Advertisement
To me, there are only two ways this corner group is anything above average:

1) a surprise name enters the Portal with impact ability.
2) Damari Brown and/or Robert Stafford becomes the Year One starter we expected Cormani McClain to be. That may be difficult without spring, although Brown has the size and the training to do it.

Davis is there to raise the floor, not the ceiling. He’s in the same category as Couch and Porter, but we needed another guy.

Corners are hard to find. For perspective, 247 has Davis as the 6th overall player in the portal and a blue-chip transfer with a 90 rating. And he’s nothing special, just experienced.

We want to add 2, and the hope is the next guy is a true impact talent. It might be tough sledding.

How would you feel if we roll with the talent profile that we have (i.e., maybe we add 1 or 2, but they are at a level comparable to what we have and they do not signficantly elevate the room) and then put all of our chips on "development" under Addae and Guidry?

I'm not saying it's an ideal solution, but do you feel that the guys we already have can produce at a higher level with good coaching?

EDIT: I just saw your most recent post, you might be getting at part of the answer with your Point #2.

2) Damari Brown and/or Robert Stafford becomes the Year One starter we expected Cormani McClain to be. That may be difficult without spring, although Brown has the size and the training to do it.

Any shot the light-bulb comes on for Graves this Summer/Fall?

Advertisement
Does anyone know how Couch played in the spring? He's struggled big time during his career and I wouldn't mind seeing the younger guys in there.

Does storm duck fit that surprise name profile?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back