CWS 2021 thread

E676489A-2917-4A26-AD9A-547B3784AAC7.jpeg

Advertisement
Advertisement
I would say 0% chance, but I do feel bad for them.
You'll feel worse for them after reading the NCAA timeline excerpt below from D1 baseball (why not accommodate NC St's request to play a DH on Sat, June 26th?):

The NCAA gave NC State the option to either forfeit and try to play Saturday or play on with a limited roster. Avent and his team opted to play, though NC State sources say they proposed to the NCAA to play a doubleheader between the two teams on Saturday instead. That request was denied. At the start of the game, unvaccinated members of the Pack team were taken to the Marriott and tested. All of those unvaccinated members of the team were negative for COVID-19, including several prominent players on the roster. None of those players were able to return to the ballpark in time to enter the game.

– With NC State having four positive COVID-19 tests, the team reached ‘outbreak’ status, which then caused the NCAA to get all members of the team tested — including the vaccinated members who played in the Friday game against Vandy. We touched on how it was possible to test vaccinated players, here, a couple of days ago. NC State sources estimate that full team testing occurred around 7:30 p.m., Friday night, and that by 11 p.m., that evening, they still hadn’t gotten word on test results. There’s a lot of frustration from the NC State side of things on the lack of communication during that time frame. Shortly after that point, the results began to trickle in for each player — four players, all vaccinated — had tested positive for COVID-19, with all other players testing negative. Eight total members of NC State’s traveling party had tested positive for COVID-19.

Saturday, June 26

— According to NC State sources, it was around 1 a.m., that the NCAA informed the Wolfpack they were declared a ‘no contest’ for Saturday’s game against Vanderbilt and thus their season was over. It was then that all COVID-negative players decided to make the trek over to TD Ameritrade Park for one last picture behind home plate after a somber meeting with head coach Elliott Avent and his staff. With eight positive tests and impending contact tracing, the NCAA’s point of view was that it would be impossible for NC State to finish the tournament, while also caring about the health and safety of participants. Of course, that reasoning will be hotly contested by those who saw countless sendoff and welcoming parties at different team hotels around downtown Omaha over the past two weeks.

Early chatter is Little is going but leash is short. Then if worse comes to worse have Rocker/Maldonado, all hands on deck Wed night.

Advertisement
Little is shook early, though they may go with Reilly, Little for all his potential is fairly untested. Long way to go still.

Advertisement
This result thus far is the only reason I would have possibly thrown Rocker on short rest. I don't think they would have been able to counter with Bednar. Little was not ready, actually none of ther pitchers were ready. It may still pan out for Vandy but tomorrow's game is a toss up to me. Sims may not he used tonight then can get 6 from Bednar Sims could go 3. Vandy will have Rocker ND Maldonado ready.

Looking forward to it, don't really care who wins.

Last edited:
This result thus far is the only reason I would have possibly thrown Rocker on short rest. I don't think they would have been able to counter with Bednar. Little was not ready, actually none of ther pitchers were ready. It may still pan out for Vandy but tomorrow's game is a toss up to me. Sims may not he used tonight then can get 6 from Bednar Sims could go 3. Vandy will have Rocker ND Maldonado ready.

Looking forward to it, don't really care who wins.
Tonight didn’t matter. They have all their guys ready for tomorrow. Main bullpen guys will all be on at least a days rest and Rocker on 4 days, going up against Bednar and Sims on 3 days. If you’re Corbin you have to like your chances. If they were to throw Rocker tonight and lost, they could’ve just handed it to MSU tomorrow, bc tonight would’ve happened a day later.

Tonight didn’t matter. They have all their guys ready for tomorrow. Main bullpen guys will all be on at least a days rest and Rocker on 4 days, going up against Bednar and Sims on 3 days. If you’re Corbin you have to like your chances. If they were to throw Rocker tonight and lost, they could’ve just handed it to MSU tomorrow, bc tonight would’ve happened a day later.
We shall see, like I said I would have considered Rocker to stay away from Bednar and Sims tonight. Ultimately it was the right call for the kids well being so I know why he did it. Should Bednar throw a gem and outduel him on 3 days rest that would be a surprise.

I watched Rocker throw a complete game shutout 3 hiitter vs MSU in April so he has the ability to shut them down. I will say this, if this game is tied/close when Sims comes in I favor MSU. Vandy has been real cold at the plate this postseason.

Either way it is a big time game with big time arms.

As a note I wish we had the speed/baserunning prowess MSU has, they are **** on the D on the basepaths, anti-Miami like.

Advertisement
We shall see, like I said I would have considered Rocker to stay away from Bednar and Sims tonight. Ultimately it was the right call for the kids well being so I know why he did it.

I watched Rocker throw a complete game shutout 2 hitter vs Vandy in April so he has the ability to shut them down. I will say this, if this game is tied/close when Sims comes in I fave MSU. Vandy has been real cold at the plate this postseason.

Either way it is a big time game with big time arms.

As a note I wish we had the speed/baserunning prowess MSU has, they are **** on the D on the basepaths, anti-Miami like.
They got guys who play like they love baseball.
Miami doesn’t have many of those.

LMAO at the MSU pitcher waving good bye to the hanging curve of his that got launched, cool kid.

Rocker and Bednar should be on the mound tonight. I've worked every game at the CWS this year. Those two are legit. Scouts raving.

Sidenote: How did we lose Enrique Bradfield to Vandy? I just looked at their roster and saw he came out of Heritage.

Advertisement
Back