Cuonzo Martin as Miami's HC?

Advertisement
I hear ya but ... you can't deny the numbers involved in winning big in the two sports. Look at Butler under Brad Stevens. Two consecutive National Championship games. They lost them both (to Duke and UConn respectively) but would you have EVER thought a school like Butler could do that? Or, a Gonzaga? They did it because they only needed a charismatic, brilliant coach and a handful of key recruits to pull it off.

Show me a similar situation in college football. There aren't any.
The biggest difference that you’re missing, and it’s really showing in this F’ed up covid season is teams that are able to play at a high level AND keep their players 4 years. Look at the traditional powers, none are playing great this year with their one and dones. Those are the exact players we would recruit if we went your path. Trust me, Miami is in a no win situation when it comes to basketball. A season here and there that’s amazing and that’s it. Ceiling. Enjoy the fact that baseball and football could still do it.

Great support of a candidate. You have none, so flip the question on the other person. Simple answer, he is a loser. Here is why he is an atrocious candidate:

1. He is in his 9th season at South Carolina. This will be his 5th season where he finishes in conference with a losing record.

2. The SEC has 14 teams in conference, on average, he finishes ranked 8th (that doesn't include this season where his team is in second to last). His best conference finish was tied for 3rd.

3. (1) NCAAT appearance in his tenure at South Carolina or 12.5%. Unless of a miracle in the SECT, he isn't going this year and that % will drop. As a frame of reference, Frank Haith made the NCAAT in 14% of his seasons here.

4. His major accomplishment at South Carolina was 5 seasons ago. 5 seasons ago. Since then, 4 straight seasons of garbage. His conference record over the last 4 seasons, as of today, is 31-35.

To review: He is a loser.

Dude is a head case, there’s no way we’d go near him. In addition, his results just aren’t that good. This is his 9th season at USCe and he’s made the tourney just ONCE. He’s gone 31-34 in the SEC since that one final 4 run in 2017.

Are you suggesting that if someone struggles in a weaker conference that they may struggle more in a more challenging conference?

Advertisement
Are you suggesting that if someone struggles in a weaker conference that they may struggle more in a more challenging conference?
I know you don't like Anthony Grant for that reason, and that is a bit of a red flag for me with him too. But overall, Grant has had a much more successful career than Martin, he's not a head case, and he can recruit. I think Grant would at minimum make us consistently respectable.

I know you don't like Anthony Grant for that reason, and that is a bit of a red flag for me with him too. But overall, Grant has had a much more successful career than Martin, he's not a head case, and he can recruit. I think Grant would at minimum make us consistently respectable.
After 36 seasons, if I were the AD my goal in a new HC hire would be set higher than for the program to be "consistently respectable." You could argue that from 2011-2018, Coach L made us that.

Time to aim higher? Wish we'd have had the chance to see what Pitino could have done here.

I don't get the Grant slander, especially given where our program is right now. He did a bang-up job at VCU and had a Final Four-caliber squad at Dayton last year before the season was cancelled. He was also a huge part of UF's success under Donovan and has NBA experience to boot.

I understand some of the apprehension given what happened at Alabama, but that was one of the worst jobs in the SEC until Greg Byrne got there in 2017 and started prioritizing the program. We could do far worse.

After 36 seasons, if I were the AD my goal in a new HC hire would be set higher than for the program to be "consistently respectable." You could argue that from 2011-2018, Coach L made us that.

Time to aim higher? Wish we'd have had the chance to see what Pitino could have done here.
I would like to aim higher, but I am trying to be realistic. We all know **** well UM won't touch Pitino. This AD's #1 priority post Shapiro has been to run as squeaky clean of a program as possible.

Advertisement
I would like to aim higher, but I am trying to be realistic. We all know **** well UM won't touch Pitino. This AD's #1 priority post Shapiro has been to run as squeaky clean of a program as possible.
I was referring to our abortive attempt to sign Rick many years ago. Back when he might've been able to bring in a five star or two in each recruiting class (before we had even signed one in 20 years of a resurrected program).

1. As for the part in bold, I don't really know what that means. If you mean a coach that will not embarrass the school in a scandal and occasionally make the NCAAT, maybe. In fact, I don't think he will do well here at all.

2. As for Grant specifically, as this season continues to plays out, last season looks more like a freak occurrence and this season looks more like the norm for him at Dayton. Dayon is 12-8 (8-7) and 8th in the Conference.

3. Do you truly think Grant is a good candidate or do you think that because our school has atrocious leadership that he is the best we can do?

In his first 7 seasons at Miami, Coach L proved you can:

1. Make the NCAAT 50% of the time,
2. Advance to the Sweet 16,
3. Win the Conference, and
4. 5th or better average finish in the conference.

I don't see why this shouldn't be the (low) bar going forward. We can do it. We can do more.

I understand some of the apprehension given what happened at Alabama, but that was one of the worst jobs in the SEC until Greg Byrne got there in 2017 and started prioritizing the program. We could do far worse.

I thought this was already disproven. Bama cared about basketball, before Grant. This is simply an excuse.

A. Before Grant, Bama went after and hired Gottfried. Gottfried was doing great things at Murray State.
B. Gottfried coached at Bama for 11 seasons before he "resigned" but was fired. During those 11 seasons, Bama went to the NCAAT 5 times and made the Elite Eight. Bama fired Gottfried after two sub-par years. So clearly, Bama cared about hoops to fire Gottfried who took Bama to the NCAAT 5 out of 11 seasons.
C. Before Gottfried was Hobbs. He made the NCAAT 2 out of 6 years, both times to the Second Round.
D. Grant on the other hand went to the NCAAT 1 out of 6 years at Bama.
E. Johnson was after Grant, he went to the NCAA 1 out of 4 years. He was fired for sub-par performance.

Others did a much better job and all were fired for sub-par performance. They all did better than Grant too. Going back to Wimp Sanderson, Bama has expectations and Grant like the others, failed to live up to them. They didn't just start caring about hoops after he was fired. Since Gottfried, all of their hires can arguably make sense. Even Avery Johnson. He had a winning coaching record in the NBA.

Advertisement

There are many qualified options that are out there today. Many of these options are very affordable/cheap too. Hiring one of these qualified guarantees nothing but it is 100000 times better than hiring some unqualified loser or retread.

Our main issue is us. We hold ourselves back. We simply have an AD and BOTs who are atrocious, unqualified and stupid. They’re lazy, apathetic and have zero accountability.

As for the squeaky clean stuff, it is bullchit.

1. Nobody is “squeaky clean”.

2. There are plenty of qualified candidates who don’t have Pitino’s baggage.

Last edited:
There are many qualified options that are out there today. Many of these options are very affordable/cheap too. Hiring one of these qualified guarantees nothing bu

Our main issue is us. We hold ourselves back. We simply have an AD and BOTs who are atrocious, unqualified and stupid. They’re lazy, apathetic and have zero accountability.

Have you ever actually tried to voice your displeasure with the current administration or is this schtick solely for message boards? You seem to be the classic a lot of talk/no action guy.

Have you ever actually tried to voice your displeasure with the current administration or is this schtick solely for message boards? You seem to be the classic a lot of talk/no action guy.

There is no “schtick”.

If you don’t like my posts, click ignore. Is that too hard for you?

Advertisement
There are many qualified options that are out there today. Many of these options are very affordable/cheap too. Hiring one of these qualified guarantees nothing but it is 100000 times better than hiring some unqualified loser or retread.

I don’t want a coach who can’t hold his load for ten seconds while banging in a coat room

Actually, if UM was really forward thinking, they would do the opposite. Put a ton of money and other resources into hoops, at the expense of football if need be. Call it the Villanova or Duke model.

The demographics/resources of similar small private schools nationwide argue for that. Not to mention our football program history (on the field and in the stands) of the last 20 years., plus the steep rise in costs of funding a top football program these days.

I could be wrong but IMO, football should pay for itself and all other sports except baseball and men's basketball.
If baseball and men's basketball are being ran properly, those two sports should generate more than enough money to be self sufficient.
Between going to the tournament or College World Series combined with selling tickets for home games, baseball and men's basketball should be generating revenue at Miami.

Advertisement
Back