Cuonzo Martin as Miami's HC?

He is a no brainer except we won't touch him, regardless of whether he deserves another chance.

Actually, Isaac Brown replaced Greg Marshall and the team is playing better under him than Marshall.
So good that they gave Brown the job permanently.

Advertisement
Actually, Isaac Brown replaced Greg Marshall and the team is playing better under him than Marshall.
So good that they gave Brown the job permanently.

1. How is the part in bold relevant to the question the poster asked?

2. You think the team is playing better with Brown as HC? Seriously?

1. How is the part in bold relevant to the question the poster asked?

2. You think the team is playing better with Brown as HC? Seriously?

They were projected to finish 7th in the AAC at the beginning of the year and they are currently in second place.
This is after 6 scholarship players and a walk on left due to Marshall.
Hard to dispute those results.

For the record, no. Marshall should be off limits like Pitino.

They were projected to finish 7th in the AAC at the beginning of the year and they are currently in second place.
This is after 6 scholarship players and a walk on left due to Marshall.
Hard to dispute those results.

For the record, no. Marshall should be off limits like Pitino.

So Brown is better because he may finished higher than WSU was projected? Do you know how many flaws there are with that (LACK OF ) logic?

Remember that time Brown made the NCAAT 7 times in a row! Remember when Brown took WSU to the Final Four! Remember all those conference championships Brown won over his WHOLE CAREER!

-

Brown is nothing compared to Marshall. He has done NOTHING. He isn't better.

Remember all those NCAA violations Marshall broke? Oh, he didn't.

So Brown is better because he may finished higher than WSU was projected? Do you know how many flaws there are with that (LACK OF ) logic?

Remember that time Brown made the NCAAT 7 times in a row! Remember when Brown took WSU to the Final Four! Remember all those conference championships Brown won over his WHOLE CAREER!

-

Brown is nothing compared to Marshall. He has done NOTHING. He isn't better.

Remember all those NCAA violations Marshall broke? Oh, he didn't.

Marshall was a loose cannon who should never coach again.

Soon you will know, what can Brown do for you!

Wichita State gave him a 5 year contract so obviously they knew it was time to move on.

Advertisement
Marshall was a loose cannon who should never coach again.

Soon you will know, what can Brown do for you!

Wichita State gave him a 5 year contract so obviously they knew it was time to move on.

They moved on from Marshall when they “fired” him.

Why should he never coach again?

Coach L should of been let go years ago in my opinion. Here is his last 3 seasons
14-18
15-16
7-15
You pair that with the fact he turns 72 next season and change is needed. We could be a very solid basketball program if we actually cared about it. **** we half *** the program now and we're still able to attract quality prospects. Change is needed

Coach L should of been let go years ago in my opinion. Here is his last 3 seasons
14-18
15-16
7-15
You pair that with the fact he turns 72 next season and change is needed. We could be a very solid basketball program if we actually cared about it. **** we half *** the program now and we're still able to attract quality prospects. Change is needed

You make a valid point. It is hard for any coach to keep his job after three consecutive losing seasons.
However, everything needs to be reevaluated within the basketball program.
From conditioning, strength training, nutrition and player development.
Miami has more than a coaching issue when you consider the amount of injuries the program has endured in the past three seasons.

Advertisement
Agree Cuonzo is not an awful choice, but seems the problem (if Coach L does leave, buyout or otherwise) is that the Miami job isn't thought of as a "plum", even with the nice beaches. The fans and the program... and perhaps the monies that would be forked up for salary, staff, and buyouts, just don't seem to be there, or that inviting for basketball...

...the 2 Mizzou Podcast guys just spent 20 minutes discussing this. I fear while sad, it's probably true.
The Miami job is a crappy one, not because the school doesn't invest(They do), but because you are dealing with one of the ****tiest fanbases in college sports, the local community is frontrunner as ****, and the local HS talent rarely gives you a look, even when things are going well. You have to be able to recruit nationally, and really clean up on the East Coast, because the kids here have zero interest in staying home.

There's a reason why Miami before L had little success in over 50 years of basketball, not including not even having a program for a decade. It's a tough job. You have to find a coach that either has a tie to the area and wants to come(IE L), or someone that sees it as a stepping stone to something better. Problem is that with the stepping stone coach, you can't expect to hit for a high average when you are replacing coaches every 5 years, due to them leaving for better jobs.

I’m

Okay and nobody deserves a second chance?
For crap like that, NO. You want to be a verbally abusive douchebag, you can do that somewhere else. Too many meatheads think that acting like a complete jackass is the only way to win, when that isn't the case. Times have changed, people expect those in power to not be abusive to their underlings. It's unacceptable, and there are far too many coaches around that can win at Miami, that aren't that way.

Advertisement
Absolutely not. And while we’re talking crazy, we might as well see if Larry Brown wants to come live in paradise and coach us for a couple years.

For crap like that, NO. You want to be a verbally abusive douchebag, you can do that somewhere else. Too many meatheads think that acting like a complete jackass is the only way to win, when that isn't the case. Times have changed, people expect those in power to not be abusive to their underlings. It's unacceptable, and there are far too many coaches around that can win at Miami, that aren't that way.

So nobody gets a second chance, especially when zero crimes were committed/charged?

The Miami job is a crappy one, not because the school doesn't invest(They do), but because you are dealing with one of the ****tiest fanbases in college sports, the local community is frontrunner as ****, and the local HS talent rarely gives you a look, even when things are going well.

1. The job is "crappy"? Some hyperbole there. When it comes to job security, there may be no better place for an HC than Miami. I am sure there are plenty of coaches in the nation who make 50% of the salary of Coach L (or less) that have a fraction of the budget of his and would die to replace him in the ACC. But hey, this is a "crappy" job.

2. Our fanbase does suck, no argument there.

3. Local Recruiting: Our coaching staff, at least under Coach L, short of the big names has hardly recruited the local kids. Constantly kids leave the state and go on elsewhere to do much bigger things. Perhaps if we recruited harder locally, signed more players, then it would payout bigger down the road.

4. You left out the real problem. Our AD, admin and BOTs suck. Awful. Garbage. No leadership. No accountability. Pure apathy. The blame, mostly, falls on the leadership. As for the school "investing", they invest apathy and zero accountability. The coach pickers have consistently failed. Don't forget, they didn't pick Coach L either.

There's a reason why Miami before L had little success in over 50 years of basketball, not including not even having a program for a decade

Correct. Our Admin and BOTs made some utterly atrocious coaching decisions. In fact, short of Coach L eating his pride and submitting his resume, beg for the job, that trend would likely continue after Haith left.

Perry Clark and Frank Haith were atrocious hires. If you make atrocious hires, you get pretty "crappy" results.

You have to find a coach that either has a tie to the area and wants to come(IE L), or someone that sees it as a stepping stone to something better.

Uh no.

1. Or we need to have the right leadership, which we don't have, and find the best candidate for now. There are plenty of qualified candidates available that are drooling for a $2MM/paycheck and to coach in the ACC. There will always be plenty of qualified candidates too. Also, $2MM is pretty cheap and we can afford more (e.g. Coach L makes more than $2.1MM). I am just making the point that there are qualified coaches that make a fraction of that.

2. Why does it matter if it is a "stepping stone"? Do you expect your coaches to stay for life? Do you need that? We lost Coach Hamilton to the NBA, isn't that a good thing when the professional league wants your coach? What is this obsession with having a coach stay into perpetuity or for "5" years? How is that span relevant? If you want to keep your coach, pay them. Make them stay. Over the last 25 years, we've yet to lose another good HC to another school. Why don't we focus on the real problems and the now? Like finding the next HC.

3. I want a coach that can win. I am not concerned that he has a "tie" to the area.

Problem is that with the stepping stone coach, you can't expect to hit for a high average when you are replacing coaches every 5 years, due to them leaving for better jobs.

Again, this non-problem is raised. The only problem is finding the right candidate NOW. Many things can change over 5 years. Perhaps you don't want said coach to coach for 5 years. Perhaps they suck. There will always be more qualified candidates ready to fill that position.

Advertisement
The Miami job is a crappy one, not because the school doesn't invest(They do), but because you are dealing with one of the ****tiest fanbases in college sports, the local community is frontrunner as ****, and the local HS talent rarely gives you a look, even when things are going well. You have to be able to recruit nationally, and really clean up on the East Coast, because the kids here have zero interest in staying home.

There's a reason why Miami before L had little success in over 50 years of basketball, not including not even having a program for a decade. It's a tough job. You have to find a coach that either has a tie to the area and wants to come(IE L), or someone that sees it as a stepping stone to something better. Problem is that with the stepping stone coach, you can't expect to hit for a high average when you are replacing coaches every 5 years, due to them leaving for better jobs.
Where do you even get this crap from? Are you using Vernon Carey to justify this statement? Sure, we rarely will land the Carey types. But as highlighted in other threads on this board, there are TONS of in state (not just South Florida) players who Miami just refuses to recruit/offer. It makes ZERO sense. So the staff has quit recruiting local and in state players because they went all in on Carey and he chose a blue blood instead?

We will always need to recruit nationally (as do most, if not all college basketball programs do), but we need to do a MUCH better job of recruiting in-state players. Florida is producing a lot of talented basketball players. Times have changed, and we've been left in the dust due to incompetence, stubbornness, or whatever the reason is. I'd love to hear what L and his staff's recruiting philosophy is, but the few "reporters" who cover this team only ask him softball questions, so we may never know.

As for the school "investing" in the hoops program, I seem to recall where a fairly cheap renovation of the basketball coaches offices went begging while, at the same time, the $30M+ Indoor Practice Facilitty was opened for football. I understand the huge Sofer donation got most of the IPF project done, it still -- if true -- made me wonder about the commitment to other sports.

Where do you even get this crap from? Are you using Vernon Carey to justify this statement? Sure, we rarely will land the Carey types. But as highlighted in other threads on this board, there are TONS of in state (not just South Florida) players who Miami just refuses to recruit/offer. It makes ZERO sense. So the staff has quit recruiting local and in state players because they went all in on Carey and he chose a blue blood instead?

We will always need to recruit nationally (as do most, if not all college basketball programs do), but we need to do a MUCH better job of recruiting in-state players. Florida is producing a lot of talented basketball players. Times have changed, and we've been left in the dust due to incompetence, stubbornness, or whatever the reason is. I'd love to hear what L and his staff's recruiting philosophy is, but the few "reporters" who cover this team only ask him softball questions, so we may never know.

Local Recruiting? What local recruiting? Here is a list of the kids who came here "locally".

- Tonye Jekiri
- Deandre Burnett
- Anthony Lawrence*
- Dewan Hernandez
- Harlond Beverly**

*Amp is not a local kid. I just included him because he is from the state of Florida. He went to HS more than 250 miles from Coral Gables.
**Bev played basketball in Michigan. He finished, after his junior year, at Montverde.

--------

I don't personally care where the talent comes from, as long as it comes. With that said, it is easier to recruit kids locally. It is easier to develop personal relationships, scout them etc. Since 2015-16, every time we decided to not fill the class, in most years leaving 2 scholarships open (see my post below), then at least 1 of those scholarships should have been used for a local kid. Since 2015-16, we've used on average ~11 scholarships. One Florida kid would not hurt us. It would make us better for many reasons.

Local Recruiting? What local recruiting? Here is a list of the kids who came here "locally".

- Tonye Jekiri
- Deandre Burnett
- Anthony Lawrence*
- Dewan Hernandez
- Harlond Beverly**

*Amp is not a local kid. I just included him because he is from the state of Florida. He went to HS more than 250 miles from Coral Gables.
**Bev played basketball in Michigan. He finished, after his junior year, at Montverde.

--------

I don't personally care where the talent comes from, as long as it comes. With that said, it is easier to recruit kids locally. It is easier to develop personal relationships, scout them etc. Since 2015-16, every time we decided to not fill the class, in most years leaving 2 scholarships open (see my post below), then at least 1 of those scholarships should have been used for a local kid. Since 2015-16, we've used on average ~11 scholarships. One Florida kid would not hurt us. It would make us better for many reasons.

I completely agree. We actually used to sign more local players under Haith than we have with L. Ed Rios, Dwayne Collins, Brian Asbury, Denis Clemente, Adrian Thomas, and a couple others. And the state of Florida is producing much more basketball talent than it was 10 to 15 years ago.

But the slurpers on this board have crafted up some bizarre narrative excuse that local/in-state players have no interest in playing for Miami. That's a hard conclusion to make when we rarely recruit them to begin with.

Advertisement
Back