Cuonzo Martin as Miami's HC?

Trying to think of other "local " kids (other than the ones named above) who played for the U, going back to 1985. Pls correct me where I'm wrong, or forgot someone. Some pretty darn good players on that list.

Adrian Thomas
Steve Edwards
Tim James
Trevor Burton
Alex Fraser
Steve Rich
Lucas Barnes
James Jones
Marcus Barnes
Ochiel Swaby
Angel Rodriguez
Guillermo Diaz
Denis Clemente
Brian Asbury
Dewayne Collins
Eddie Rios
Joe Thomas
Zach Johnson
Keith Stone

Advertisement
Trying to think of other "local " kids (other than the ones named above) who played for the U, going back to 1985. Pls correct me where I'm wrong, or forgot someone. Some pretty darn good players on that list.

How do we define "local"?

Advertisement
One went to Kentucky, didn't he? Steve was never the same player after getting injured. A shame.
Doug went to FSU and Allen went to UK. All 3 went to Miami High. Yes, Steve had an amazing freshman year and never repeated it.

I know less about basketball than most but we aren't a bad draw for a potential hire...

For better or for worse we stick with coaches and maybe for too long but a new coach won't feel the win now or else pressure
We do have local talent and just need to find a way to keep them home
We have a brand we can sell nationally.
Great city, great education, great basketball conference...

There are coaches who don't just want a stepping stone opportunity. We have to find the person who wants to build a powerhouse at a private institution. I said it earlier but a proven winner like the current coach at Drake. You don't need ties to Miami to be a successful recruiter IMO. You just have to connect with the kids. He is an Iowa guy coaching in Iowa so if not him there has to be somebody similar.

I don't want people on rebound or people looking for a second chance because you run the risk of doing this over in 5 years. Just one guys opinion. I don't think any changes are coming after this year but that is just me.

Lots of very good comments and discussion here. Somewhat left unsaid (but perhaps it comes under "fan base" or support) is what the kids get when they go to a vibrant college basketball town, as the regular NCAA "March dancers" often have at hand. While the scandals and rumors and court-cases and NCAA edicts have taken their toll, and perhaps driven a lot of the bags and bonuses underground, the talented kids (and coaching staff) get treated like royalty in many college basketball towns...

...there are plenty of subtle perks when you commit to Duke or Gonzaga or other regular powers, for self, friends, and family. Miami is just not that sort of (fan base) basketball town, and due to a checkered past, the alumni and boosters pretty much are afraid to send even a Christmas card. Doubt this will change in our lifetime, and while it may be a moral or ethical triumph, it's not likely to get us a bushel of talented players and coaches drooling over a career here.

Advertisement
...there are plenty of subtle perks when you commit to Duke or Gonzaga or other regular powers, for self, friends, and family. Miami is just not that sort of (fan base) basketball town,

We're never going to treat basketball like they do in North Carolina or Indiana. With that said, it starts at the top. Our leadership (above Coach L) is beyond awful. When things were good under Coach L, things were pretty darn good at home games. He created the atmosphere, all him.

There are plenty of things that make playing basketball in Coral Gables unique and exciting.

--------------------------

For the second year in a row, the Hurricanes’ men’s basketball team sold out season tickets

Last year, Larranaga’s group became the first UM sports team to achieve that feat.

The Hurricanes play in the 7,972-seat Watsco Center, formerly known as the BankUnited Center. UM said Wednesday it sold a program-record 5,750 season tickets. Last year, it sold 5,500 season tickets.

That’s about double the number of season tickets UM sold in 2011-12, Larranaga’s first season in Coral Gables. UM’s ticket base rose from 2,251 his first year to 3,674 in 2013-14, after the Hurricanes won the ACC and reached the Sweet 16. UM sold out the building for the first time last year, and rewarded fans with another Sweet 16 run.

There are plenty of things that make playing basketball in Coral Gables unique and exciting..
Yes, that’s part of it…
But I think there’s plenty of boosters, alumni, and super-fans in places “other than Miami” that will give coaches and staff and players (and family and friends) a “good deal on a car”, a tasty “invite”, a hefty holiday “basket” and maybe much more (including adulation)… and players and staff candidates know all this thru the grapevine or otherwise.

If anyone doesn’t think this is a major motivation when choosing Miami as a stopping point, I beg to differ.

If anyone doesn’t think this is a major motivation when choosing Miami as a stopping point, I beg to differ.

Coach (insert name here) is about to turn 48-52 YOs. He currently makes between $600K-$900K and coaches in some sub-par conference (e.g WAC or BIG West). The Coach, in his last 3 years, has won the conference twice and gone to the NCAAT a few times. He knows that it is time to move on.

As for motivation, here is 3-4 times your current salary and the chance to coach at the highest level with a lot more resources. You've done all you can at Podunk Tech, now it is time for the next step. You think that isn't motivating?

Swaby was supposed to the savior. Oops.
Led the entire USA in scoring, averaging 47 ppg at North Miami HS. At 6'6, he could score from inside and the perimeter, and was a strong rebounder at both ends of the court.

Averaged 7.8 ppg as a UM frosh, then only 3.7 ppg in his Soph year. Transferred to UCF where he averaged 18 and 19 ppg respectively in his Jr and Sr seasons. UCF, back then, was in the Transamerica Conference, a much lower level of competition.

He sorta personified the national thinking back then that Florida HS ball was sub-par.

Advertisement
Coach (insert name here) is about to turn 48-52 YOs. He currently makes between $600K-$900K and coaches in some sub-par conference (e.g WAC or BIG West). The Coach, in his last 3 years, has won the conference twice and gone to the NCAAT a few times. He knows that it is time to move on.

As for motivation, here is 3-4 times your current salary and the chance to coach at the highest level with a lot more resources. You've done all you can at Podunk Tech, now it is time for the next step. You think that isn't motivating?
Yes, good point. I was thinking more of the coaching STAFF that don't get the big bucks, although maybe a HC would like to be a God among Citizens in Durham than a ho-hum in Miami. But I was mostly thinking about why some of the most talented players choose not to come here.

Yes, good point. I was thinking more of the coaching STAFF that don't get the big bucks, although maybe a HC would like to be a God among Citizens in Durham than a ho-hum in Miami. But I was mostly thinking about why some of the most talented players choose not to come here.
Top 50 kids go to school where they feel they have the best chance to play a year or 2 and bounce to the NBA. Kids do want to win but they want development as well. 2 things we haven’t been doing in recent years. The way things sit now a top HS prospect would be crazy to come to Miami right now. And now with the G league handing out $500k things are going to get that much harder in college basketball recruiting

Advertisement
Top 50 kids go to school where they feel they have the best chance to play a year or 2 and bounce to the NBA
True that, the One and done be making millions soon and $5K off a car for uncle ain't gonna be an incentive. But when you get to the 100-300 four year guys (we frequently lose out on as well), it matters what's in it for them. Players pass the word. Along with the hype and high from being celebrities in a town with few non-sports "stars", the many non-Miami "perks" do make a difference.

There are many qualified options that are out there today. Many of these options are very affordable/cheap too. Hiring one of these qualified guarantees nothing but it is 100000 times better than hiring some unqualified loser or retread.

Our main issue is us. We hold ourselves back. We simply have an AD and BOTs who are atrocious, unqualified and stupid. They’re lazy, apathetic and have zero accountability.

As for the squeaky clean stuff, it is bullchit.

1. Nobody is “squeaky clean”.

2. There are plenty of qualified candidates who don’t have Pitino’s baggage.
Absolutamente!!

Advertisement
Back