Cuonzo Martin as Miami's HC?

Agree but ... to have any chance to keep a really successful young coach, UM would have to really open the purse strings in a way they've never shown they have any intention of doing.

I would put more value in a young coach who is a great recruiter first along with a staff full of great recruiters.
I would like one assistant coach to work with the PGs, one with the wing players and one with the bigs on skill development.
I am not saying Xs and Os don't matter but let's get the most talented roster possible and then figure out how to make it work together.
Let's be honest, most games are won by the most talented team. Very few games are won by a coach who outcoached his opponent.

Advertisement
Cuonzo Martin won't be Miami's next HC. He's currently making $3 million per year. Coach L is making about $1.3 mil per year. I don't see Miami bringing in someone and forking over more than double of what our current coach makes. IF a change is to be made, Miami will probably go the inexpensive route. Pitino is one of the few big name HC in college basketball that Miami could probably get at or near that $1.3 mil per year threshold. Aside from that, Miami would probably have to get a young, up & coming HC from elsewhere or a top assistant coach. I just don't see them backing out the brinks truck for Coach L's replacement.

Cuonzo Martin won't be Miami's next HC. He's currently making $3 million per year. Coach L is making about $1.3 mil per year. I don't see Miami bringing in someone and forking over more than double of what our current coach makes. IF a change is to be made, Miami will probably go the inexpensive route. Pitino is one of the few big name HC in college basketball that Miami could probably get at or near that $1.3 mil per year threshold. Aside from that, Miami would probably have to get a young, up & coming HC from elsewhere or a top assistant coach. I just don't see them backing out the brinks truck for Coach L's replacement.
Per USA Today, Coach L makes nearly $2.2m.

Per USA Today, Coach L makes nearly $2.2m.

I know he signed an extension a few years back, but I hadn't realized he got close to a million dollar pay bump. At $2.2 per year, that changes the coaching search a great deal.

Advertisement
problem for starters the strength and conditioning seems to be nonexistent, how can all these kids be breaking down over the last couple of years : I mean our transfer's, like the kid who came in from Florida Gulf coast looked absolutely ripped compare to our home grown kids :

Our program history of basketball on the court and in the stands is even worse. Seriously, the bball team had 1 great year, and a couple decent years, other than that, not much to talk about.
Everything you said is true. However, it only takes a couple key recruits a year to make you nationally competitive in basketball. You need 10x (or more) that number in football, each year. Not to mention all the costs attendant to running a top tier football program. The assistant coaches, the equipment, the stadium lease, travel, etc etc. The $$ amount in hoops pales compared to that!

Everything you said is true. However, it only takes a couple key recruits a year to make you nationally competitive in basketball. You need 10x (or more) that number in football, each year. Not to mention all the costs attendant to running a top tier football program. The assistant coaches, the equipment, the stadium lease, travel, etc etc. The $$ amount in hoops pales compared to that!
We have a FAR better chance of being competitive in football than basketball.

We have a FAR better chance of being competitive in football than basketball.
Is the goal "being competitive" or "winning a national title?" If it's the latter, I honestly think we have better odds in basketball. Not with Coach L as HC, but ...

You're right in that we haven't accomplished much in basketball. But look at the last 20 years in football. Less than mediocre. And, without D'Eriq, another losing season last year. We've never even come close to a Divisional championship in the ACC (which is not much of a football Conference, minus Clemson).

Advertisement
Is the goal "being competitive" or "winning a national title?" If it's the latter, I honestly think we have better odds in basketball. Not with Coach L as HC, but ...

You're right in that we haven't accomplished much in basketball. But look at the last 20 years in football. Less than mediocre. And, without D'Eriq, another losing season last year. We've never even come close to a Divisional championship in the ACC (which is not much of a football Conference, minus Clemson).
I love your enthusiasm, I really do. But if you truly believe we ever have a better chance at a NC in basketball than football, all I have to say is.....pack a bowl for me because you are smoking some serious ****!!!

Advertisement
Great coach but way too tough for kids these days to want to play for him.
maybe we need old style kids. certainly they exist if he is able to recruit and develop and play for him in USCe with a high degree of success.

I have read the previous post about contracts and buyouts but let's be honest about something that is very important.
At most schools, the football team generates the revenue to pay for all the other sports. Along with the TV deal at the Power 5 schools.
Miami should not be in this group. Yes, the football team at Miami still generates the most revenue but men's basketball and men's baseball should generate revenue also at Miami.
At the worst case scenario, men's basketball and men's baseball should break even. Those two sports really should not be using any football money if they have the right people in place.
Given the talent and resources in the state of Florida along, all three teams should be ranked in the top 25 every year, sold out season tickets and over 75% of their homes games should be sold out.

Advertisement
I love your enthusiasm, I really do. But if you truly believe we ever have a better chance at a NC in basketball than football, all I have to say is.....pack a bowl for me because you are smoking some serious ****!!!
I hear ya but ... you can't deny the numbers involved in winning big in the two sports. Look at Butler under Brad Stevens. Two consecutive National Championship games. They lost them both (to Duke and UConn respectively) but would you have EVER thought a school like Butler could do that? Or, a Gonzaga? They did it because they only needed a charismatic, brilliant coach and a handful of key recruits to pull it off.

Show me a similar situation in college football. There aren't any.

Dude is a head case, there’s no way we’d go near him. In addition, his results just aren’t that good. This is his 9th season at USCe and he’s made the tourney just ONCE. He’s gone 31-34 in the SEC since that one final 4 run in 2017. About the only thing he has going for him is he has local ties.

Advertisement
Back