Cristobal interview with Joe Rose (Post-Spring)

He was on Dusty and Danny in the Morning. CH 84 Sirius XM. Danny told him he roots for Miami in every game except for one, and Mario said "There is no way you root for Miami."

- Miami was a dream job, Mario was too invested in his process to think that far down the line
- stayed at places 4-6 years
- Unbreakable bond between a team
- Taking investing into players formula from Oregon to Miami, "we just gotta go to work man"
- Practices down here more difficult than game, X factor, iron vs iron, couple that with resources

"Coach you get me fired up, you always talk about going to work"

- Day 1 trenches were a "a couple of planets away"
- Mindset developing, appetite for it is there. Are guys going to stick it out or skip a rep to pray for water?
- Practice same way as Bama, Oregon, and JJ's Miami. Team adapting to that
- Fast, demanding, intense, physical, tempo thru the roof practices is where conditioning is built. "We all know how important that is."
- TVD "everything people said and more. Great teammate. Approach to daily tasks - he just attacks them. Leading football teammate, involvement in the community. Ability to make every throw accurately. Pre snaps reads, etc."

Why Gattis

- We were #2, Michigan was #1 - yards before contact
- Avoiding negative plays, plays of over 25 yards
- Created plays for guys with certain skillsets without compromising integrity of offense
- Total package, difference maker as a human, recruiter etc

"As long as Miami is winning [where should Miami play in ten years] I don't think that matters. People create narratives because maybe the offseason is so long... Blessing to play in a stadium of that caliber - pro bowl, super bowl, college NC. No one else in the state of Florida, maybe on the east Coast, has this type of stadium. Is the drive a little farther? Yeah, and that's ok. People travel all over the country to come here."

Mario has been here 150 something days and "been at Chicken Kitchen and Big Cheese 148 out of those days."

Last edited:
Advertisement
So I guess the claims of my “fake news” on the wr group can be put to bed finally.
Agree. Anyone who was at the Spring game or even watched it saw that we dont have 2 reliable WRs let alone 5 that is needed for a rotation. Was very disappointed in that group. And if your going to hold the DL accountable with all these portal transfers and make that room compete then you need to do the same to that WR room.

Stories of his recruiting prowess years back, I thought they were overblown to be honest

But his last couple of years and Oregon and now seeing him up close and personal….it’s amazing really
I remember years ago when we were looking for Randys replacement and the local paper did a poll of every local HS coach and asked them who UM should hire as the HC and I remember every coach said "Mario Christobal". I didnt understand it back then but I definitely do now. He just has that "IT" factor.

He was on Dusty and Danny in the Morning. CH 84 Sirius XM. Danny told him he roots for Miami in every game except for one, and Mario said "There is no way you root for Miami."

- Miami was a dream job, Mario was too invested in his process to think that far down the line
- stayed at places 4-6 years
- Unbreakable bond between a team
- Taking investing into players formula from Oregon to Miami, "we just gotta go to work man"
- Practices down here more difficult than game, X factor, iron vs iron, couple that with resources

"Coach you get me fired up, you always talk about going to work"

- Day 1 trenches were a "a couple of planets away"
- Mindset developing, appetite for it is there. Are guys going to stick it out or skip a rep to pray for water?
- Practice same way as Bama, Oregon, and JJ's Miami. Team adapting to that
- Fast, demanding, intense, physical, tempo thru the roof practices is where conditioning is built. "We all know how important that is."
- TVD "everything people said and more. Great teammate. Approach to daily tasks - he just attacks them. Leading football teammate, involvement in the community. Ability to make every throw accurately. Pre snaps reads, etc."

Why Gattis

- We were #2, Michigan was #1 - yards before contact
- Avoiding negative plays, plays of over 25 yards
- Created plays for guys with certain skillsets without compromising integrity of offense
- Total package, difference maker as a human, recruiter etc

"As long as Miami is winning [where should Miami play in ten years] I don't think that matters. People create narratives because maybe the offseason is so long... Blessing to play in a stadium of that caliber - pro bowl, super bowl, college NC. No one else in the state of Florida, maybe on the east Coast, has this type of stadium. Is the drive a little farther? Yeah, and that's ok. People travel all over the country to come here."

Mario has been here 150 something days and "been at Chicken Kitchen and Big Cheese 148 out of those days."
Insightful

Advertisement
Back