Off-Topic Crime 2.0

Advertisement
View attachment 237403

Lets give poor Chicago, San Fran, and Portland the night off. I was watching a show (about chicken wings!) that said that in the 1950's, Buffalo NY had double the population that it has now and was the 15th largest city in the country. So, immediately I checked its crime rate, and it turns out that Buffalo has a high crime rate, and as shocking as it might seem, its last Republican mayor was 60 years ago. I know somewhere there is a cause/effect, will check with my AI assistant.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I think that goes for every city. Miami used to be better, same with Houston, Dallas, Atlanta …

Simpler life yes, less traffic, less expensive, etc. but the cities quoted havent declined so dramatically as the cities I mentioned. From an investment perspective, you wouldnt put a dime in the cities I mentioned, while Miami etc are still very investable.

Simpler life yes, less traffic, less expensive, etc. but the cities quoted havent declined so dramatically as the cities I mentioned. From an investment perspective, you wouldnt put a dime in the cities I mentioned, while Miami etc are still very investable.
Chicago, San Francisco and Seattle aren't investable cities? In what sense, specifically? They are all top-10 GDP cities.

Chicago, San Francisco and Seattle aren't investable cities? In what sense, specifically? They are all top-10 GDP cities.

for non residents, almost all areas, but I was thinking mostly of real estate. You can add dozens of blue cities to the list, Portland, Baltimore, etx. All those cities are rapidly declining.

Advertisement
for non residents, almost all areas, but I was thinking mostly of real estate. You can add dozens of blue cities to the list, Portland, Baltimore, etx. All those cities are rapidly declining.
Real estate in all those cities has increased in price year over year though?

Real estate in all those cities has increased in price year over year though?

No, they have dropped in most of those, especially the Far West cities, despite lack of supply, because so many folks are moving out. Thats multi, and its much worse for commercial, such as office, retail, etc. An office building in downtown SFO recently sold for 25% of its last sale in 2019.

Advertisement
No, they have dropped in most of those, especially the Far West cities, despite lack of supply, because so many folks are moving out. Thats multi, and its much worse for commercial, such as office, retail, etc. An office building in downtown SFO recently sold for 25% of its last sale in 2019.
But commercial real estate across the board has been rough with the shift to work from home.

I get that liberal cities have their issues. But I don’t think they are suffering in an economic sense at all.

But commercial real estate across the board has been rough with the shift to work from home.

I get that liberal cities have their issues. But I don’t think they are suffering in an economic sense at all.

The cities I quoted have severe economic issues, and again, are uninvestible.

The cities I quoted have severe economic issues, and again, are uninvestible.
You’re begging the question — is there any data that supports your point, or are you just saying that you personally are less interested in investing in real estate in those cities?

Advertisement
Back