Courtel Jenkins

Exactamundo! Rare rare bird indeed that makes a significant impact on the interior of the DL as a true freshman. Much rather them learn the playbook, get stronger, and improve their technique.

Very impressive group but it would be ridiculously unfair to expect him and Moten to come in and contribute right away. The JUCOs need to do their jobs and give these guys time to get stronger and grow into their bodies.

Even those 37 year old looking SEC freshmen have trouble making early impact. And they have grown children.

Advertisement
Exactamundo! Rare rare bird indeed that makes a significant impact on the interior of the DL as a true freshman. Much rather them learn the playbook, get stronger, and improve their technique.

Very impressive group but it would be ridiculously unfair to expect him and Moten to come in and contribute right away. The JUCOs need to do their jobs and give these guys time to get stronger and grow into their bodies.

Even those 37 year old looking SEC freshmen have trouble making early impact. And they have grown children.

We all tend to forget that when they get to college these defensive linemen are generally in for a rude awakening.
Even the worst offensive line starter, on a bad team,in a major BCS conference, is still as good or better than the best high school lineman most true freshmen have ever faced.

It's the best of the best high school players in college, and when you pit a true freshman, with good boy's strength, against a 21 year old who has been through 3 years of advanced S & C training, the results are predictably obvious: the high school stud d-lineman looks like he runs hard into a stone wall for 30-40 plays a game.

I've never seen a true freshman defensive tackle dominate as a freshman.
Occasionally, a freshman defensive end really brings the goods and is stellar, ala Rusty Medearis, but even that is rare.

Also, I hope we get to redshirt Moten and Jenkins both. I'd love to not have to rely on any true freshman DTs this year. That's progress to me.

No way Moten gets a redshirt

Why do you say that?

Coaches are VERY high on him as a player and sold him on early playing time against UF where he would possibly get a redshirt. The biggest reason he made the switch from UF to UM was because of the early playing time promise. And with our lack of depth at Dline I expect him to see snaps

Does he have the size/skill to be productive as a frosh?

Exactly who do we have on the team to keep him off the field? Two JUCOs maybe, but that is about it. Moten will play this year.

It would be best if Moten and Jenkins could redshirt and get acclimated to the size, speed, strength and intelligence of college players. We should also remember we lost out on better DT's the previous 3 classes, so if either player proves better than our second options at DT, then we gotta play the best players. Our 2011 class was Darius Smith and Corey King. 2012 DT class was Ivery, J. Briscoe and Moore. The 2013 DT Class was......NO One! So as we can see early playing time is highly possible for any top skilled DT that signs at The U. We gotta hope and I mean HOPE like **** Hertelou and Wyche are really good and Moore proves to be a stud. Hamilton and King are the only other DT's listed on the roster.

Was happy Quintez Johnson committed, but DT commits for us remind me of a guy hanging from a helicopter latter rope as it flies through the sky. Always wondering if they will stick.

would love to see him have a freshman year like Jerigan had at FSU. would love to see him in a a 5 man rotation at the DT spot. With all due respect to Moore and King, praying they never see a meaningful minute this year!

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back