Courtel Jenkins

Defensive tackle Courtel Jenkins left his mark at DePaul Catholic in Wayne, New Jersey, departing with a state championship his senior year.Jenkins understands that his high school accomplishments don't matter as much and he’ll have to prove himself all over again in college.

-Says “To make an impact at the next level, I knew I needed to improve my explosion,”“I did a lot of foot speed drills, ladder work, and pushing stuff around. I’ve gotten faster and my first step quickness has gone up a lot. Conditioning was the other thing, that’s always something very challenging for bigger guys.”

-said in the past that his lack of mobility as a junior certainly held him back. When he made progress there, that led to a better 2013 with 74 tackles and 5 sacks.

-went from 315 pounds, down to 294, so where does he stand at the moment?

-Says “I started the offseason weighing in at 310 but then I got hurt,” “I couldn’t do as much for awhile and now I’m up to 317. The coaches said they want me to come in at 320 though so I’m good with where I’m at.”

-will be in Coral Gables for the first summer session and he’s been counting the days until that happens.

-Says “I’ve been working out every day waiting to get started in Miami,”“I’m qualified and I should be all set to head out on May 18th. Recruiting is over now and it had gotten so bad I almost changed my number. It was at the point of being too much but that’s gone.”

-has been able to connect with fellow defensive linemen Anthony Moten and Demetrius Jackson. All three are scheduled to arrive at the same time.

-Says “I talk to Anthony Moten a lot and he’s going to be my roommate once we get there,” “He’s somebody who is really focused and we can share how bad we want to win. I’ve been in touch with Demetrius Jackson on Twitter and we’re excited to start our college careers.”

-confident in the potential of Miami’s 2014 signing class but he knows they will eventually be judged on their results.

-Says “I think we’re on track to be an awesome class and put the ‘U’ back on the map with Coach Al Golden,” “We have guys at different positions and it comes down to if we live up to our potential. I see some players who could step up and fill the shoes of some seniors.”

http://miami.247sports.com/Article/...ation.Success=You+have+successfully+logged+in!

Advertisement
Says “I think we’re on track to be an awesome class and put the ‘U’ back on the map with Coach Al Golden.

I have fallen for that so many times. Please be true.

Says “I think we’re on track to be an awesome class and put the ‘U’ back on the map with Coach Al Golden.

What do you mean youve fallen for that so many times?? Goldens first real class will be juniors next year, you've already given up on them?

jenkins is a def. redshirt. good, it will allow him to grow unlike moore and hamilton who were thrown in

Advertisement
[]_[] swag;1868170 said:

What do you mean youve fallen for that so many times?? Goldens first real class will be juniors next year, you've already given up on them?

In fairness, we as a fan base have fallen for that same line with "Insert Coach Here" over the last decade or so...

Also, I hope we get to redshirt Moten and Jenkins both. I'd love to not have to rely on any true freshman DTs this year. That's progress to me.

Let's see what they look like when they get pads on before we talk redshirts. We need help at DT badly.

Very impressive group but it would be ridiculously unfair to expect him and Moten to come in and contribute right away. The JUCOs need to do their jobs and give these guys time to get stronger and grow into their bodies.

Advertisement
Hope we can redshirt him, too. Don't see that luxury with Moten.

I think he's going to be a beast. Appears to have an impressive work ethic paired with that ferocious attitude we've desperately missed on the DL.

Let's see what they look like when they get pads on before we talk redshirts. We need help at DT badly.

what i saw @ dt this spring didnt excite me @ all. Olsen looked good......Huertolou has the size looks like he can log minutes...Moore was in alot but he has never impressed me..and King wasnt even noticable. The high school kid i brought to the game with me was bigger than most of our dt's and he has never played football or lift much weights...he looked more like a um dt than them.

When we have a two deep of guys that look like Huertolou i will feel a bit more relaxed...

Advertisement
Also, I hope we get to redshirt Moten and Jenkins both. I'd love to not have to rely on any true freshman DTs this year. That's progress to me.

No way Moten gets a redshirt

Why do you say that?

Coaches are VERY high on him as a player and sold him on early playing time against UF where he would possibly get a redshirt. The biggest reason he made the switch from UF to UM was because of the early playing time promise. And with our lack of depth at Dline I expect him to see snaps

Why do you say that?

Coaches are VERY high on him as a player and sold him on early playing time against UF where he would possibly get a redshirt. The biggest reason he made the switch from UF to UM was because of the early playing time promise. And with our lack of depth at Dline I expect him to see snaps

Does he have the size/skill to be productive as a frosh?

I think Moten could play this year and probably will given our unproven depth, it'd just be nice if he didn't have to is all...

Advertisement

Why do you say that?

Good to hear. Thanks for that.

I think Moten could play this year and probably will given our unproven depth, it'd just be nice if he didn't have to is all...

I agree but unfortunately we haven't recruited and developed well enough at that position

Why do you say that?

Does he have the size/skill to be productive as a frosh?

I never count on any Dlinemen to be productive as freshman. Jmo

Exactamundo! Rare rare bird indeed that makes a significant impact on the interior of the DL as a true freshman. Much rather them learn the playbook, get stronger, and improve their technique.

Very impressive group but it would be ridiculously unfair to expect him and Moten to come in and contribute right away. The JUCOs need to do their jobs and give these guys time to get stronger and grow into their bodies.

Advertisement
Back