Could TRob be the next DC in waiting (Manny’s always thinking ahead)

Yes. This is what I see........

For all Manny's faults he isn't stupid. For all the mistakes he has made and he has made plenty he has shown a remarkable aptitude for determining where the weak spots are and addressing them quickly. The problems he has addressed each off season are general team/coaching deficiencies. Now before anyone starts blasting me for giving Diaz too much credit, consider all of the issues our teams have had under previous head coaches that were obvious to this board yet nothing was done about them because of either stubbornness, willful ignorance or both. I'm not suggesting that Diaz is a young Nick Saban or Bill Belichick but after all of the pig headed, inflexible, dogmatic and obtuse head coaches we have endured lately, the knack Diaz has shown for quickly identifying and correcting clear issues/mistakes is incredibly refreshing and most certainly appreciated.

Getting back to your question, it is obvious to me that Diaz can be very shrewd when necessary and these moves/upgrades on the defensive staff are evidence of that. Manny may be in love with his scheme etc...but his desire to win, to be a successful UM Head Coach and ultimately establish himself in that role clearly overrides that. Yes, I do think that one of the new defensive coaches will take over as DC as early as 2022 and my money would be on Bob Shoop. Shoop is experienced and has been very successful despite going against some very stiff competition. Shoop's strength is designing tailor made team specific game plans where he attacks his opponents weaknesses while mitigating his own. This is and has been a significant weakness for Diaz and the fact that he went out of his way to hire a coach like Shoop tells me that Diaz can and will put his ego aside because he realizes that this is the only way he is going to get where he wants to go.

Diaz is taking the DC reins this year because No1 he saw what a mess Baker made and No2 because he knows how to rectify that mess and get his defense back in the shape it was before he loaned it to Baker. No3 is that Diaz intends to improve, refine and tweek his defense with the help of 3 excellent coaches Shoop, TRob and Simpson and those 3 are hardly the yes man type. I have a feeling were going to enjoy the results.

Could it possibly, just hear me out, “possibly” be he chose himself as DC, b/c well....he had no other choice since the other guys went elsewhere?

Advertisement
Could it possibly, just hear me out, “possibly” be he chose himself as DC, b/c well....he had no other choice since the other guys went elsewhere?
Of course thats possible. In the end all of this is just speculation. It's an interesting discussion and one that I enjoy.

The simplest explanation is often the best explanation but I'm very analytical by nature so it's easy for me to overanalyze things especially when it comes to my canes. I'm the 1st to admit that I can be very long winded but that's just me enjoying myself.

Despite what I said in my earlier post I think it's quite obvious that Diaz is very protective of his defense. Basically I think he wants to put it back together himself while he auditions Shoop, TRob and Simpson for the job.

Last edited:
Of course thats possible. In the end all of this is just speculation. It's an interesting discussion and one that I enjoy.

The simplest explanation is often the best explanation but I'm very analytical by nature so it's easy for me to overanalyze things especially when it comes to my canes. I'm the 1st to admit that I can be very long winded but that's just me enjoying myself.

Despite what I said in my earlier post I think it's quite obvious that Diaz is very protective of his defense. Basically I think he wants to put it back together himself while he auditions Shoop, TRob and Simpson for the job.

Nothing wrong w/ being long winded or over analyzing. It’s the joy of fandom! We all come in different types.

Season will be here b4 u know it.

TRob took less money to come to The U. Looking at his past stops, he’s not one to move around, he spent 4 seasons at UF & 5 seasons with USCe. Is it Possible that there’s an agreement that Manny teaches TRob the type of D that he runs and eventually TRob takes over as Defensive Coordinator
Manny’s No Dummy!!! He probably realizes that he’s spreading himself pretty thin. And that he can’t be Head Coach and DC for long. With that said it would make sense to promote TRob to DC, once he becomes comfortable with the type of Defense that Manny runs. Besides, it’ll make TRob even more rounded as a DC

“Coach Diaz is a little different style of playcaller than I was when I was calling plays. He is a little more aggressive. And he is going to be aggressive and we are going to pressure and create negative plays; that is what we are going to hang our hat on here at Miami.
Maybe, I wish we would have taken Don Brown.

Shoop is 54 and has F U money. He might have agreed to help T Rob learn the DC role and move in as DB coach. Less stress and still collect a check.

Advertisement
I love having t-rob here on our staff but some of y'all need to get off his **** as a defensive coordinator

Right?!?!
He was not good at USC. I wont be rude and say awful bc I cant argue line stats with anyone. they were 12th last season in the SEC. Yes, they had ONE great player I watched the draft and he is a stud. 12th? Yeah, Im good.

Praying he is great here and then we can discuss a promotion.

We lost my pick for next DC to Gus and UCF

Also, Diaz issue has been the paperwork side of HC. Stroud has solved that. This is a good combo as well

TRob took less money to come to The U. Looking at his past stops, he’s not one to move around, he spent 4 seasons at UF & 5 seasons with USCe. Is it Possible that there’s an agreement that Manny teaches TRob the type of D that he runs and eventually TRob takes over as Defensive Coordinator
Manny’s No Dummy!!! He probably realizes that he’s spreading himself pretty thin. And that he can’t be Head Coach and DC for long. With that said it would make sense to promote TRob to DC, once he becomes comfortable with the type of Defense that Manny runs. Besides, it’ll make TRob even more rounded as a DC

“Coach Diaz is a little different style of playcaller than I was when I was calling plays. He is a little more aggressive. And he is going to be aggressive and we are going to pressure and create negative plays; that is what we are going to hang our hat on here at Miami.
Why is Manny ‘always thinking ahead’?

I really think Strong was his guy. He revamp the entire D staff, there were lots of rumors flying around Urban, then he randomly just shuffles Patke DVD and himself around shortly after news breaks Urban is with the Jags and strong is his assistant HC. It made no sense to wait that long then make those moves. I also get not settling for bottom of the barrel on a new DC. Manny is in his contract year. He took a bet on himself. I am cool with that as a one year thing and not a long term solution.

Advertisement
Manny is gonna teach these guys his infamous "bend but don't break - allow mediocre QB's to throw 14/14" defense.
If TS is as advertised, this hopefully won’t the the case. Average CB talent the past few years, combined with the scheme Manny runs, kinda called for that soft coverage.

If we have a guy you can put on an island, I’d hope and expect Manny would become more aggressive in the secondary.

Advertisement
Hopefully we play Miami football on defense this year. In your face challenge everything nothing easy. I hate that we've been aggresive up front but soft on the back end that needs to stop.

If TS is as advertised, this hopefully won’t the the case. Average CB talent the past few years, combined with the scheme Manny runs, kinda called for that soft coverage.

If we have a guy you can put on an island, I’d hope and expect Manny would become more aggressive in the secondary.

I like your optimism but I'll have to disagree, brother.
I just think that's his zone philosophy.
I saw some of the same soft coverage in the spring game.

The entire spring our QB's have had phenomenal completion percentages.
Our offense and our QB's may be good, but they ain't THAT good.
Not ONE practice or scrimmage has one of our QB's had a bad day. Not one.
Our defense gives them everything they want short and underneath.

Nothing to see here.. Please disperse.

Ugly a$$ slow developing blitz with soft coverage on the back-end...with Gurvan Hall basically playing man-to-man on the slot WR.
I love it.

If you're gonna dial-up a pressure, how about something that goes right down the middle of the OL and into the QB's face instead of something slow-developing that requires so much looping/stunting. It was max protect anyway, so any blitz from the edges wasn't gonna work.

Just an all-around disastrous play.

Advertisement

That is concerning... There has been nothing shown thus far to say the LB issue is turning the corner...

Can’t put that much into spring, IMO.

As for his philosophy, I didn’t watch enough film at his prior jobs to know if he truly has a one, or if he works with what he has.

The past few years, our talent was on the DL, which we relied on to disrupt. Could we have jammed at the LOS more? Sure. But Blades and Ivey are average-at-best as far as make up speed and ball skills. That exposes you to the big play, especially when we were playing safeties over the top that lacked range.

If our DE production does take a step back, as expected, I’d hope he would adjust. To me, that means going from ‘relying on your DL to disrupt and don’t give up the big play,’ to ‘rely on your talented and deep secondary and get the coverage sacks.”

It’s been a constant here for the past decade - shove a square peg into a round hole. Off the field, Manny has shown the ability to adjust. Baker is gone. He did a solid job as DC under Richt, and this is his first HC gig. I’ll hold off judgment on Manny the DC until after this year.

Shoop is 54 and has F U money. He might have agreed to help T Rob learn the DC role and move in as DB coach. Less stress and still collect a check.
Don Brown or Jeremy Pruitt would be nice at dc although browns getting oldddd

Advertisement
Back