Could TRob be the next DC in waiting (Manny’s always thinking ahead)

Advertisement
I like your optimism but I'll have to disagree, brother.
I just think that's his zone philosophy.
I saw some of the same soft coverage in the spring game.

The entire spring our QB's have had phenomenal completion percentages.
Our offense and our QB's may be good, but they ain't THAT good.
Not ONE practice or scrimmage has one of our QB's had a bad day. Not one.
Our defense gives them everything they want short and underneath.

Do you think we see more of that 2017 defense this year on the back end with a lot more man considering we got TS and some guys that actually getting coached by T ROB ?

I like your optimism but I'll have to disagree, brother.
I just think that's his zone philosophy.
I saw some of the same soft coverage in the spring game.

The entire spring our QB's have had phenomenal completion percentages.
Our offense and our QB's may be good, but they ain't THAT good.
Not ONE practice or scrimmage has one of our QB's had a bad day. Not one.
Our defense gives them everything they want short and underneath.
Surely, some of that completion percentage is the "don't hit the QB" rule. A bunch of Garcia's completions are sacks or hits in real life.

Surely, some of that completion percentage is the "don't hit the QB" rule. A bunch of Garcia's completions are sacks or hits in real life.
No GIF

Advertisement
Can’t put that much into spring, IMO.

As for his philosophy, I didn’t watch enough film at his prior jobs to know if he truly has a one, or if he works with what he has.

The past few years, our talent was on the DL, which we relied on to disrupt. Could we have jammed at the LOS more? Sure. But Blades and Ivey are average-at-best as far as make up speed and ball skills. That exposes you to the big play, especially when we were playing safeties over the top that lacked range.

If our DE production does take a step back, as expected, I’d hope he would adjust. To me, that means going from ‘relying on your DL to disrupt and don’t give up the big play,’ to ‘rely on your talented and deep secondary and get the coverage sacks.”

It’s been a constant here for the past decade - shove a square peg into a round hole. Off the field, Manny has shown the ability to adjust. Baker is gone. He did a solid job as DC under Richt, and this is his first HC gig. I’ll hold off judgment on Manny the DC until after this year.

Why can't you put that much into spring? (at this point)
It's not like the DC and players are new.

Whether it's spring or fall, your philosophy is your philosophy. If you like to play soft zone coverage, you play soft zone coverage, spring or fall.
What we saw in spring was more of the same soft zone coverage that allows easy completions to the flats and underneath. The only time we contest throws is if we're in man.

Also, you don't need to be fast to excel at press coverage. Richard Sherman is/was slower than every WR he faced. Playing press is about technique, being long and disrupting the WR's release, it's not a foot chase. If you need "makeup speed" then that means you lost at the line-of-scrimmage. (FYI - our CB's are long as ****)
Having 6'1" 200lb Corners that play off coverage all day is doing yourself a disservice.

Regardless...
My problem isn't a man versus zone thing...
My problem is THE WAY WE PLAY ZONE.

Rumph 1st coaching job at Miami

Patke 1st coaching job at Miami

Banda 1st coaching job at Miami

Manny 1st HC coaching at Miami

Richt Jr 1 coaching at Miami

Why would T-rob at DC be any different

Whether it's spring or fall, your philosophy is your philosophy. If you like to play soft zone coverage, you play soft zone coverage, spring or fall.
What we saw in spring was more of the same soft zone coverage that allows easy completions to the flats and underneath. The only time we contest throws is if we're in man.

Also, you don't need to be fast to excel at press coverage. Richard Sherman is/was slower than every WR he faced. Playing press is about technique, being long and disrupting the WR's release, it's not a foot chase. If you need "makeup speed" then that means you lost at the line-of-scrimmage. (FYI - our CB's are long as ****)
Having 6'1" 200lb Corners that play off coverage all day is doing yourself a disservice.

Regardless...
From the sun sentenial:

“Diaz said the passing numbers against the secondary were against two coverages that the team stayed in for the spring game to keep the scheme simple and off tape for fall opponents. He appreciated that the pressure came along with an emphasis on stopping the run.”

As far as makeup speed, guys DO get beat off the LOS. It happens. Makeup speed is absolutely important at the CB position. Sherman is the exception, not the rule.

But, point taken... if you’re a technician, you can get away with it. I go back to my original comment that we’ve had average talent at CB the past few years, and my hope is that is why we saw the soft zones, and we will see more a more aggressive secondary this year if TS is as advertised.

From the sun sentenial:

“Diaz said the passing numbers against the secondary were against two coverages that the team stayed in for the spring game to keep the scheme simple and off tape for fall opponents. He appreciated that the pressure came along with an emphasis on stopping the run.”

As far as makeup speed, guys DO get beat off the LOS. It happens. Makeup speed is absolutely important at the CB position. Sherman is the exception, not the rule.

But, point taken... if you’re a technician, you can get away with it. I go back to my original comment that we’ve had average talent at CB the past few years, and my hope is that is why we saw the soft zones, and we will see more a more aggressive secondary this year if TS is as advertised.

Whether it was 2 coverages or 7 coverages, the philosophy and technique is the same.
We play all of our zones LOOSELY. That's my issue.

Advertisement

Regardless...
This^^^^^

I think one of the factors TRob accepted less money is that he knows Miami is a private institution and this is home. I think his desire to be back home outweighed any other opportunities unless it's a DC job.

Could he be a DC in waiting? Perhaps. He has an opportunity to learn the Diaz scheme and also game plan with Bob Shoop. He has made a career and learned from one of the best in Will Muschamp. TBD.

Could it possibly, just hear me out, “possibly” be he chose himself as DC, b/c well....he had no other choice since the other guys went elsewhere?
I think the main factors in Diaz taking control as DC are:
1. He wants the defense to run his scheme. Most DCs want to run their own scheme.
2. This is year 3 of Diaz as HC. This is the make or break year. He's not going to leave that to chance with a new DC this year. Perhaps if/when he gets a new contract.

Advertisement

Regardless...
I think you've been beating the drum for pattern match zone, which i am also a huge proponent of, since those Golden era spring camp hype videos. I dont get it

I think you've been beating the drum for pattern match zone, which i am also a huge proponent of, since those Golden era spring camp hype videos. I dont get it
So frustrated watching our guys stare at the QB and break late on throws, allowing easy nickel-and-dime catches.

Advertisement
Back