Could TRob be the next DC in waiting (Manny’s always thinking ahead)

sitzee

Freshman
TRob took less money to come to The U. Looking at his past stops, he’s not one to move around, he spent 4 seasons at UF & 5 seasons with USCe. Is it Possible that there’s an agreement that Manny teaches TRob the type of D that he runs and eventually TRob takes over as Defensive Coordinator
Manny’s No Dummy!!! He probably realizes that he’s spreading himself pretty thin. And that he can’t be Head Coach and DC for long. With that said it would make sense to promote TRob to DC, once he becomes comfortable with the type of Defense that Manny runs. Besides, it’ll make TRob even more rounded as a DC

“Coach Diaz is a little different style of playcaller than I was when I was calling plays. He is a little more aggressive. And he is going to be aggressive and we are going to pressure and create negative plays; that is what we are going to hang our hat on here at Miami.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Shoop apparently dindu nuffin at Michigan, and is now an analyst. Not sure he wants that smoke. Diaz should name Robinson and Williams Co-DCs and back away. He struggles with game management and adjustments as it is, no need to burden himself with play-calling when he's already pretty panicky and emotional.

Shoop apparently dindu nuffin at Michigan, and is now an analyst. Not sure he wants that smoke. Diaz should name Robinson and Williams Co-DCs and back away. He struggles with game management and adjustments as it is, no need to burden himself with play-calling when he's already pretty panicky and emotional.

I'd say he struggles with the HC game management, but has decent adjustment skills as a DC.

You have no idea what you're talking about

Something that struck me in Manny’s interview - one of the reasons he gave for choosing to be the DC himself was not just the coaches, but that we have a "very mature team this year". I'm probably reading too much into that, but it read like he's comfortable calling plays this year and then perhaps turning it over to a dedicated DC going forward. Anyone else get that vibe?

Advertisement
I'm inclined to agree with Shoop being the DC in waiting so long as he proves himself invaluable as an analyst this year. That said I think you gotta keep T-Rob and T-Will on staff for as long as possible at all costs. Not saying either should be handed the DC role, but I hope Manny can convince the powers that be to open up the wallet to retain these new staff hires if they bare fruit on the trail and development of our players like we all expect they will.

I'd say he struggles with the HC game management, but has decent adjustment skills as a DC.
When Manny was DC his half time adjustments were usually spot on.
it used to be said if the Offense could score 28 points in every game, they’d win 10 games a season.
very rarely did a team score 30+ points during Manny’s time as DC.

Advertisement
Shoop will not be DC there is no room on field for him. If it works diaz will be the dc likely for a while

My money is on our new analyst
That's exactly what I was thinking. Just a couple of years ago he had one of the top (if not the top) D's in the SEC and that's with players a 3rd tier team can get (MSST). I like both, but I would take Shoop as the DC in a heartbeat over T-Rob.

Advertisement
Something that struck me in Manny’s interview - one of the reasons he gave for choosing to be the DC himself was not just the coaches, but that we have a "very mature team this year". I'm probably reading too much into that, but it read like he's comfortable calling plays this year and then perhaps turning it over to a dedicated DC going forward. Anyone else get that vibe?
Yes. This is what I see........

For all Manny's faults he isn't stupid. For all the mistakes he has made and he has made plenty he has shown a remarkable aptitude for determining where the weak spots are and addressing them quickly. The problems he has addressed each off season are general team/coaching deficiencies. Now before anyone starts blasting me for giving Diaz too much credit, consider all of the issues our teams have had under previous head coaches that were obvious to this board yet nothing was done about them because of either stubbornness, willful ignorance or both. I'm not suggesting that Diaz is a young Nick Saban or Bill Belichick but after all of the pig headed, inflexible, dogmatic and obtuse head coaches we have endured lately, the knack Diaz has shown for quickly identifying and correcting clear issues/mistakes is incredibly refreshing and most certainly appreciated.

Getting back to your question, it is obvious to me that Diaz can be very shrewd when necessary and these moves/upgrades on the defensive staff are evidence of that. Manny may be in love with his scheme etc...but his desire to win, to be a successful UM Head Coach and ultimately establish himself in that role clearly overrides that. Yes, I do think that one of the new defensive coaches will take over as DC as early as 2022 and my money would be on Bob Shoop. Shoop is experienced and has been very successful despite going against some very stiff competition. Shoop's strength is designing tailor made team specific game plans where he attacks his opponents weaknesses while mitigating his own. This is and has been a significant weakness for Diaz and the fact that he went out of his way to hire a coach like Shoop tells me that Diaz can and will put his ego aside because he realizes that this is the only way he is going to get where he wants to go.

Diaz is taking the DC reins this year because No1 he saw what a mess Baker made and No2 because he knows how to rectify that mess and get his defense back in the shape it was before he loaned it to Baker. No3 is that Diaz intends to improve, refine and tweek his defense with the help of 3 excellent coaches Shoop, TRob and Simpson and those 3 are hardly the yes man type. I have a feeling were going to enjoy the results.

Advertisement
Back