Could this be THE END for College Football?

I don't know how I feel about this. I agree current players need to get paid in some fashion, but they also NEED some sort of an education. Even if they don't finish their degree, having some accountability outside of football will better them in the long run.

How come nobody worries about the hundreds of high school baseball players signing with MLB teams missing out on an education?

Because most of the American players are white and they seem to think only black kids will crumble under the pressure of money. Not much concern for tennis players or hockey players either. Tennis players used to be washed up by 30. Only concern for basketball and football players.

Advertisement
Here's why this won't work. Nobody cares about minor league sports. Minor league franchises in baseball, hockey and the NBA are financially supported by the major league franchises tied to them. Without the NFL to support it, a minor league would fold immediately. Yeah, paying players 50 grand a year sounds great but with what money? Plus coaches, officials, facilities, insurance and tons of other costs that you have to factor in. What minor league sport has any type of TV audience to get revenue from? Even if they somehow sell tickets, that money isn't nearly enough to cover operating expenses. They would have to bank on college football fans dropping their allegiances to their teams to follow random minor leaguers. Not gonna happen.

unless he's drafted in the first 2 rounds, he's not going to have $3 million after 3 years unless he has a great agent and fulfills every incentive on the contract. you clearly don't know what these guys actually make.

and do you think a lot of them would actually make it in college if they didn't have the academic support that the athletes get?

What is the league minimum, like $500k per year? That's still better than 99 percent of people on here are ever going to do, regardless of degree or where they got it.

Also, you're not taking in to consideration that kids can get injured while playing for their schools. That means every snap they play for a university risks their future earnings

rookie minimum is $450k annually, which gets taxed down to about $260k after federal tax, then you have to tack on state tax (unless he plays in tennessee, texas, florida, or washington). then he has to pay his agent 4-10% of his gross salary, so $18-45k. then he has to pay the union $15k every year. you're looking at about $717,000 at the end of 3 years using the lowest end of the agent pay and not counting potential state income tax, and that's completely discounting all of the hangers-on with family and friends, and whatever stupid purchases young athletes tend to make.

as for your second point, unless they go to a ****hole of a university, the school pays for the medical costs and lets them fulfill their degrees if they get hurt.

Cool. The average salary for college grad with a humanities degree is $36,742. Subtract taxes from that plus other expenses and what do you have saved up?

Taking the 700k is the easy choice.

you keep moving the goalposts. i don't disagree that it's a lot of money since that's more than i'll make in a decade working in education, but there's no sustainability unless he decides on living a middle-class lifestyle until he can find a job that will pay more than what a college grad will make.

athletes are notoriously terrible at managing their finances.

People in general are notoriously terrible at managing their finances. Nothing special about athletes.

I don't know how I feel about this. I agree current players need to get paid in some fashion, but they also NEED some sort of an education. Even if they don't finish their degree, having some accountability outside of football will better them in the long run.

Nobody NEEDS an education. An education is a means to an end. If a kid is 6'4, 230 lbs and can run a 4.4..... maybe the best career path for him is professional athletics.

This league is designed from the ground up to prepare professional athletes for a future NFL career. That's more than any university can or will offer them.

I would argue that focused NFL preparation is more valuable to the kid than a degree in Sociology. JMO

you know that the average nfl career is 3 years right? contracts aren't all guaranteed money. one bad step can end a career, and then you have a 6'4", 230lb guy that used to run a 4.4 with only a high school diploma to fall back on.

You assume these kids will make rational decisions. Impoverished kids, who have kids themselves, will take the check and not think twice about it.

Here's why this won't work. Nobody cares about minor league sports. Minor league franchises in baseball, hockey and the NBA are financially supported by the major league franchises tied to them. Without the NFL to support it, a minor league would fold immediately. Yeah, paying players 50 grand a year sounds great but with what money? Plus coaches, officials, facilities, insurance and tons of other costs that you have to factor in. What minor league sport has any type of TV audience to get revenue from? Even if they somehow sell tickets, that money isn't nearly enough to cover operating expenses. They would have to bank on college football fans dropping their allegiances to their teams to follow random minor leaguers. Not gonna happen.

Many of the minor league baseball teams are profitable, getting hundreds of thousands of tickets sold each yesr.

Advertisement

Many of the minor league baseball teams are profitable, getting hundreds of thousands of tickets sold each yesr.

All the expenses are still covered by the major league affiliate. The players' contracts, coaches, trainers, medical staff, equipment, etc.

It won't be about whether or not they can sucker a chunk of these kids into forgoing college and playing for them. Many of these kids don't care about school so that is an easy sell. The hard part is going to be selling the league, and the product itself. Like DTP said above, selling minor league sprots isn't lucrative. People don't just watch college football for the product on the field. It got huge tied to the branding of the individual schools. Without that branding, it would flounder, just like the CBA or minor league baseball. Some clubs might make a profit, but it won't be big business any more than minor league baseball is.

The league will also pay tuition and books for players at local community college. So paid and degree.

They also will offer councilling and internships in their fields.

"Pac Pro's concept of 'education' is expansive. Every team will have a counselor to help players develop their interests academically and/or vocationally, and assist with coordinating meaningful internships in their fields of interest," Yee said in a statement.

Last edited:
It won't be about whether or not they can sucker a chunk of these kids into forgoing college and playing for them. Many of these kids don't care about school so that is an easy sell. The hard part is going to be selling the league, and the product itself. Like DTP said above, selling minor league sprots isn't lucrative. People don't just watch college football for the product on the field. It got huge tied to the branding of the individual schools. Without that branding, it would flounder, just like the CBA or minor league baseball. Some clubs might make a profit, but it won't be big business any more than minor league baseball is.

I think some of the business model is Tom Bradys agent is one of founders and all these guys will need Agents.

Advertisement
4 teams. You might see 20 kids skip college for this at the most. Lots of kids that are kicked off their college team will now have a place as well as transfers

Who's going to pay for it? The reason the NFL loves the NCAA so much is because they get a free minor league system.

minor league football. It'll be funded by player autographs, ticket sales, and bobblehead promo's ala MiLB. :)

(but seriously, no idea to answer your question)

4 teams. You might see 20 kids skip college for this at the most. Lots of kids that are kicked off their college team will now have a place as well as transfers

Theres going to be 200 players, and it says average of 50k so im assuming some will be paid more and less. A top player may be getting 10k per game (8 games) plus paid tuition and books plus whatever they can get out of an agent since they wont be amateur.

Advertisement

Nobody NEEDS an education. An education is a means to an end. If a kid is 6'4, 230 lbs and can run a 4.4..... maybe the best career path for him is professional athletics.

This league is designed from the ground up to prepare professional athletes for a future NFL career. That's more than any university can or will offer them.

I would argue that focused NFL preparation is more valuable to the kid than a degree in Sociology. JMO

As an educator..this is by far the dumbest statement ever made on this board.

Education is correlated with a myriad of factors like crime, SES,, employability, life expectancy, health, social mobility, relationships, community engagement, political engagement etc. but hey who needs all that ****. lets have some uneducated unskilled 45 year olds who can suck more from the system than contribute to it. great plan...you seem qualified to serve on the Trump transition team.

you know that the average nfl career is less than 3 years right? contracts aren't all guaranteed money. one bad step can end a career, and then you have a 6'4", 230lb guy that used to run a 4.4 with only a high school diploma to fall back on.

Then you have a 6'4", 230 lbs guy that used to run a 4.4 but who now has $3 million in his pocket.... which is alot better than most on here.

Dude can always go back to college when his NFL career is over. $3 million will buy you a degree almost anywhere.

and how the fug is he gonna manage that 3mill if his *** has no edjumacation

also why gop back to college..thought you said no needs and education.

I swear the lack of critical thinking and common sense in our society is alarming.

Advertisement
I feel like the only thing this could possibly threaten is JUCO football. This has Sam Bruce, Figs, Maurice Clarett, Mike Williams, and Kevin Olsen written all over it.

How come nobody worries about the hundreds of high school baseball players signing with MLB teams missing out on an education?

You want an honest answer:

Baseball players tend to be much smarter, on average, than football players.

That's a start.

Pay the students and make them pay for college. They'll soon wish they were getting that free ride.

All the expenses are still covered by the major league affiliate. The players' contracts, coaches, trainers, medical staff, equipment, etc.

Have to mention that the overwhelming majority on MiLB contracts equal out to well below minimum wage when you factor in the time commitment of each player during the season.

Advertisement
Back