Could this be THE END for College Football?

Not a chance. To me, this is like minor league baseball or foreign basketball.

The real losers in this will be anyone who signs up for it. The odds of going pro will still be low and they will have nothing to fall back on when they don't make it.

Advertisement
50k a year for at least 3 years aint bad especially coming out of high school. It could impact college if it is able to catch on and build some popularity.

Why go to college when you can make 50k while getting prepared for the nfl.

So every kid who gets prepared is going to make it to the NFL. Lmao I've heard it all.

This **** will flop like the shanahans did in washington.

It would prepare these kids for the NFL the same way homeschooling prepares kids to live a normal social life.

Advertisement
I am all about it. Players should at least be given a choice on how to make it to the NFL. Then it is up to the player if he wants to take the instant cash, or become a slave and get a free education.

Some people need money now. Not in two years.

I know a couple of kids kindve circumvented the system to an extent. A few play sports, and a few are just regular college students. Some kids are balling in college, because they take out massive amounts of student loans and also find ways to get other forms of financial aid. As long as you dont have a children and wife to take care of while youre in college, its possible to live pretty comfortably.

The real losers in this will be anyone who signs up for it. The odds of going pro will still be low and they will have nothing to fall back on when they don't make it.

Did u miss the part where the league is also paying for education?

Kids get a free education, room and board. Now what The NCAA should maybe do is insure (with all of the money they make) those who get injured and ruin their potential NFL careers. Not all will make it maybe the insurance increases as you go from True FR to 5th year SR.

NCAA is a bit too much with their rules regarding eligibility. Maybe need to loosen it up a bit.

Colllege football is never going anywhere. Too much passion for the game in many instances more than The NFL.

I'm 100% in favor of giving kids an OPTION to college football.

Yup. Right now they are being used big time by the schools. People can spare me the free education crap. We all know that's a sham. Give them an option!

If they are being used, why are they so excited to have their signing events every year? Those guys live like kings on college campuses.

Tell me about their lives as 35 year olds.

Advertisement
Kids get a free education, room and board. Now what The NCAA should maybe do is insure (with all of the money they make) those who get injured and ruin their potential NFL careers. Not all will make it maybe the insurance increases as you go from True FR to 5th year SR.

NCAA is a bit too much with their rules regarding eligibility. Maybe need to loosen it up a bit.

Colllege football is never going anywhere. Too much passion for the game in many instances more than The NFL.

Maybe they should make sure the kids are getting a **** education, because most of these young men upon graduating COLLEGE still don't have a clue about anything meaningful other than football. And no, I don't think they should loosen their standards. Heck, I think they should tighten them. If you read at a pre-school level, why the **** are you forced to go to college to play football? I know why, and so does everyone else. So the college can make money from the poor kid that can't read, and claim they are doing the kid a favor by giving him a college education. At graduation he reads "Run Spot Run" and the entire staff at ESPN tears up. "That right there is what makes college football so great!" I can hear it now. No. That is what makes college football a disgrace. These young men need a real education, not passed through the ranks because they can play football. That degree they end up isn't worth wiping their butts with if they can't actually apply it in life.

The slavery comment wasn't so far out of line earlier in the thread. A bunch of rich, white, southern men are getting rich off the marketing of young black men playing a game. Out there working the fields, so to speak. No, none of us like the analogy, but the truth is ugly. All under the guise of "free education". Bull crap. They are not getting an education, many of them. But hey, we all enjoy football and want to see a good product on the field! People in 1860 wanted good cotton sheets as well. Just saying...

You keep saying this, but you haven't yet told us how this new magical league is going to pay for salaries AND college classes.

I'm 100% in favor of giving kids an OPTION to college football.

Yup. Right now they are being used big time by the schools. People can spare me the free education crap. We all know that's a sham. Give them an option!

If they are being used, why are they so excited to have their signing events every year? Those guys live like kings on college campuses.

Tell me about their lives as 35 year olds.

You mean after they blow a free education? That's not the fault of the schools. Fix your neighborhoods.

Maybe they should make sure the kids are getting a **** education, because most of these young men upon graduating COLLEGE still don't have a clue about anything meaningful other than football. And no, I don't think they should loosen their standards. Heck, I think they should tighten them. If you read at a pre-school level, why the **** are you forced to go to college to play football? I know why, and so does everyone else. So the college can make money from the poor kid that can't read, and claim they are doing the kid a favor by giving him a college education. At graduation he reads "Run Spot Run" and the entire staff at ESPN tears up. "That right there is what makes college football so great!" I can hear it now. No. That is what makes college football a disgrace. These young men need a real education, not passed through the ranks because they can play football. That degree they end up isn't worth wiping their butts with if they can't actually apply it in life.

The slavery comment wasn't so far out of line earlier in the thread. A bunch of rich, white, southern men are getting rich off the marketing of young black men playing a game. Out there working the fields, so to speak. No, none of us like the analogy, but the truth is ugly. All under the guise of "free education". Bull crap. They are not getting an education, many of them. But hey, we all enjoy football and want to see a good product on the field! People in 1860 wanted good cotton sheets as well. Just saying...

Then let's go with the alternative. Let's tell those kids who can't read that they can't come play at our white colleges. Then you can whine to us about how black teenagers are dying on the streets because no one gave them a chance.

Advertisement
Kids will take this option. The real question is will people watch it?

JMO

They don't have to watch. And, the league certainly won't be profitable. Any chance of success for a league like this will have to rely heavily on NFL subsidies. I can see this lasting a few years until the NFL decides it's worth it to THEM. No benefit to the NFL means minimal or no more subsidies.

In any case, I think it's time for this experiment.Whether it's succeeds or not, I don't believe it's any threat to college football.

Give them an alternative, sure, and then after 10 years, see which kids are better off. The ones who went to college, or those who passed on a free education and faced the same odds of making an NFL roster.

Advertisement
I agree, but I do hope it's a threat to the current state of college football.

Then let's go with the alternative. Let's tell those kids who can't read that they can't come play at our white colleges. Then you can whine to us about how black teenagers are dying on the streets because no one gave them a chance.

Did you miss in my first post where I said it should be written in every contract these kids sign that they should have college paid for them when they walk away from football? You know, when an educational institution will actually care about them more as a student than as a money maker for their school? You see, I WANT these young men to get an education. A real education, not just used for their skills. Do they have an opportunity for an education? You bet they do. But ask yourself this. Are other kids going to school to get an education having to work their butts off in the gym and practice field every day of the week? Wouldn't it be better for their education if football wasn't a distraction?

I know a bunch of people like to watch college football and they want to keep it at a high level. Personally, I want what is best for these young men. A real education.

You keep saying this, but you haven't yet told us how this new magical league is going to pay for salaries AND college classes.

They have people investing at the start and they'll be pursuing more funding in various ways like any other business. I'm not saying they will succeed and I don't think it'll be the end of college football, I'm just saying the red herring argument of students not getting education to fall back on is fall.

The way I see it this is like a paid IMG academy. Paid to train for the NFL, get some college if you wish. If it does get profitable/successful i'm sure the NFL will become involved. They wanted to CRUSH the XFL in any way possible, ridicule it, etc... this from the start is a focus of training players for the NFL and not to compete with it.

Last edited:
Did you miss in my first post where I said it should be written in every contract these kids sign that they should have college paid for them when they walk away from football? You know, when an educational institution will actually care about them more as a student than as a money maker for their school? You see, I WANT these young men to get an education. A real education, not just used for their skills. Do they have an opportunity for an education? You bet they do. But ask yourself this. Are other kids going to school to get an education having to work their butts off in the gym and practice field every day of the week? Wouldn't it be better for their education if football wasn't a distraction?

I know a bunch of people like to watch college football and they want to keep it at a high level. Personally, I want what is best for these young men. A real education.

Soooo......you don't want football to be a distraction that gets in the way of their education. What is your solution, then? No football or no classes?

Advertisement
Back