Could this be THE END for College Football?

lol. are people going to suddenly stop caring about college ball because a minor league outfit pops up somewhere?

If the level of play in this league is higher than college football, then maybe.

They will be able to get a lot of kids to go. They're offering more money than the "bag men" at SEC schools, and they're offering better NFL preparation than any college.

****, just on our team, this league could have benefitted guys like Quan Muhammed, Sam Bruce, etc. There are loads of talented "non-qualifiers" all over America who now have a place to go.

Advertisement
I don't know how I feel about this. I agree current players need to get paid in some fashion, but they also NEED some sort of an education. Even if they don't finish their degree, having some accountability outside of football will better them in the long run.

Nobody NEEDS an education. An education is a means to an end. If a kid is 6'4, 230 lbs and can run a 4.4..... maybe the best career path for him is professional athletics.

This league is designed from the ground up to prepare professional athletes for a future NFL career. That's more than any university can or will offer them.

I would argue that focused NFL preparation is more valuable to the kid than a degree in Sociology. JMO

you know that the average nfl career is less than 3 years right? contracts aren't all guaranteed money. one bad step can end a career, and then you have a 6'4", 230lb guy that used to run a 4.4 with only a high school diploma to fall back on.

Then you have a 6'4", 230 lbs guy that used to run a 4.4 but who now has $3 million in his pocket.... which is alot better than most on here.

Dude can always go back to college when his NFL career is over. $3 million will buy you a degree almost anywhere.

LOL, i am for it. I hate the NCAA and all their hatred of Miami. Bagmen paying kids anyway and schools get away with it. Should be hilarious to watch.

lol. are people going to suddenly stop caring about college ball because a minor league outfit pops up somewhere?

If the level of play in this league is higher than college football, then maybe.

They will be able to get a lot of kids to go. They're offering more money than the "bag men" at SEC schools, and they're offering better NFL preparation than any college.

****, just on our team, this league could have benefitted guys like Quan Muhammed, Sam Bruce, etc. There are loads of talented "non-qualifiers" all over America who now have a place to go.

why would jim-bob from alabama suddenly decide to start watching a team of mercenaries that he feels zero connection to when the nfl already exists? the individual athletes and the level of talent are not why fan bases care about college football. they care because the feel a personal bond to the program.

I don't know how I feel about this. I agree current players need to get paid in some fashion, but they also NEED some sort of an education. Even if they don't finish their degree, having some accountability outside of football will better them in the long run.
And why would that education be needed,baseball,hockey and the NBA does not require that!

Advertisement

Nobody NEEDS an education. An education is a means to an end. If a kid is 6'4, 230 lbs and can run a 4.4..... maybe the best career path for him is professional athletics.

This league is designed from the ground up to prepare professional athletes for a future NFL career. That's more than any university can or will offer them.

I would argue that focused NFL preparation is more valuable to the kid than a degree in Sociology. JMO

you know that the average nfl career is less than 3 years right? contracts aren't all guaranteed money. one bad step can end a career, and then you have a 6'4", 230lb guy that used to run a 4.4 with only a high school diploma to fall back on.

Then you have a 6'4", 230 lbs guy that used to run a 4.4 but who now has $3 million in his pocket.... which is alot better than most on here.

Dude can always go back to college when his NFL career is over. $3 million will buy you a degree almost anywhere.

unless he's drafted in the first 2 rounds, he's not going to have $3 million after 3 years unless he has a great agent and fulfills every incentive on the contract. you clearly don't know what these guys actually make.

and do you think a lot of them would actually make it into college, let alone complete a degree, if they didn't have the academic support that the athletes get?

Last edited:
Mike Shanahan and someone associated with the New England Patriots are putting together a new league to compete head-to-head with the NCAA.

The league will feature kids who have been out of high school 4 years or less, will be called the Pacific Pro Football League and will originally feature 4 teams in California, with the idea to expand later to other states.

The league will PAY PLAYERS directly out of high school and will have pro-style schemes that are designed to prepare kids directly for the NFL. There will be no limits on practice time, no useless academic requirements, no NCAA rules.... just football and NFL preparation.

No more slave labor, and no more getting sanctions for selling your own autograph. Now every kid with some talent has a chance to "feed the fam." See the link below.

Pacific Pro Football League Details Announced for Non-NFL-Eligible Players | Bleacher Report

The rate of kids going to the NFL from any such league will probably be around the same from college now. Which is to say very few will be drafted proportionally to the amount of players overall. The difference between college and a league like that would be the players that don't get drafted wouldn't have a college degree and college networks to fall back on.

You might say well if they get paid 50k a year to play there then it's worth it. Well, I doubt that the minor league teams would pay for housing and food like colleges do, and that income would be taxed, so they would only be able to save a small portion of that money. And that's assuming they live economically.

They also need more than 4 teams in my opinion to make it worth watching.

We will see how it plays out, I won't dismiss it out of hand but I have my doubts.

You know you can always go back to college if the NFL thing doesn't work out. And, I would argue, you would probably be a more focused and driven student if you knew that your DEGREE was what was going to provide you with a living.

The degree is secondary for most college football athletes today. At North Carolina, they don't even do their own schoolwork and at FSU, they can't even read.

How come nobody worries about the hundreds of high school baseball players signing with MLB teams missing out on an education?

unless he's drafted in the first 2 rounds, he's not going to have $3 million after 3 years unless he has a great agent and fulfills every incentive on the contract. you clearly don't know what these guys actually make.

and do you think a lot of them would actually make it in college if they didn't have the academic support that the athletes get?

What is the league minimum, like $500k per year? That's still better than 99 percent of people on here are ever going to do, regardless of degree or where they got it.

Also, you're not taking in to consideration that kids can get injured while playing for their schools. That means every snap they play for a university risks their future earnings

Advertisement

why would jim-bob from alabama suddenly decide to start watching a team of mercenaries that he feels zero connection to when the nfl already exists? the individual athletes and the level of talent are not why fan bases care about college football. they care because the feel a personal bond to the program.

You could be right. The #1 thing the NCAA has going for it is the strong brands that are its best teams. We'll see what the future holds.

I don't think the college football model will last forever though. It's just not fair to the employee (or "student-athlete," as the universities call them)

Also, they're not going to Alabama. They're starting out in California, where the NCAA brand is weak and people don't care about college football. Put a team in a large city like Sacramento that has no NFL team, and you've got a market that can make you some money potentially.

Last edited:

and do you think a lot of them would actually make it in college if they didn't have the academic support that the athletes get?

What is the league minimum, like $500k per year? That's still better than 99 percent of people on here are ever going to do, regardless of degree or where they got it.

Also, you're not taking in to consideration that kids can get injured while playing for their schools. That means every snap they play for a university risks their future earnings

rookie minimum is $450k annually, which gets taxed down to about $260k after federal tax, then you have to tack on state tax (unless he plays in tennessee, texas, florida, or washington). then he has to pay his agent 4-10% of his gross salary, so $18-45k. then he has to pay the union $15k every year. you're looking at about $717,000 at the end of 3 years using the lowest end of the agent pay and not counting potential state income tax, and that's completely discounting all of the hangers-on with family and friends, and whatever stupid purchases young athletes tend to make.

as for your second point, unless they go to a ****hole of a university, the school pays for the medical costs and lets them fulfill their degrees if they get hurt.

All professional sports have a "non-educational" based farm/training system in play except the NFL. NBA doesn't too, but you just have to be 2 years removed from high school I believe. While I'll never decry the value of a "degree" education, the current collegiate model for football is more exploitative from an educational value versus institutional financial gain (there are exceptions). Plus the idea that the NCAA can legislate a level playing field and enforcement for all member institutions is a joke! The Power 5, some more powerful than others, dictate and promote all legislation that is adopted ie, off campus camps, training facilities, living facilities, meals, extracurricular options, IPF etc.. Meaning the haves make it more difficult for those institutions with less revenues to match what they have to offer. Meaning recruits will always migrate to those schools with more and thus the haves will always excel over the lower middle to bottom of their conferences.

What does this have to do with the topic? Fact is that while the institutions and the NCAA may object to sharing revenues on a reasonable level, they already are by having to compete for resources (recruits) by expending huge finances. A better question would be how much does the Power 5 spend recruiting and once in school how much per player in spent through class cost, room, board, facilities, camps, all apparel, transportation, team expensed extracurricular activities and community service activities. Bet it would be a lot less if they just paid them.

Ive been saying that this would be a good idea for years.

Include medical coverage, benefits, etc.

Also if the idea is to prep them for the NFL, offer weekend classes they can take to help them in their professional career.

Stuff like 'economics for professional athletes' or 'off field ethics and philosophy'

Drives me nuts seeing these guys come out of school and either cant handle their money, cant stay out of trouble or both.

The NFL is a monopoly. The USFL didnt fold because it was a bad system; it failed because Donald Trump was a moron challenging them on their turf.

50-100k with signing bonuses and benefits is unbelievable for a kid coming out of high school.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

Advertisement

rookie minimum is $450k annually, which gets taxed down to about $260k after federal tax, then you have to tack on state tax (unless he plays in tennessee, texas, florida, or washington). then he has to pay his agent 4-10% of his gross salary, so $18-45k. then he has to pay the union $15k every year. you're looking at about $717,000 at the end of 3 years using the lowest end of the agent pay and not counting potential state income tax, and that's completely discounting all of the hangers-on with family and friends, and whatever stupid purchases young athletes tend to make.

as for your second point, unless they go to a ****hole of a university, the school pays for the medical costs and lets them fulfill their degrees if they get hurt.

Cool. The average salary for college grad with a humanities degree is $36,742. Subtract taxes from that plus other expenses and what do you have saved up?

Taking the 700k is the easy choice.

I'm in favor of this. It would require substantial subsidies from the NFL to work though. And who really cares who watches it? I believe there is plenty of talented HS kids who don't give a wet fart about college. Give them another option.

Advertisement

Cool. The average salary for college grad with a humanities degree is $36,742. Subtract taxes from that plus other expenses and what do you have saved up?

Taking the 700k is the easy choice.

you keep moving the goalposts. i don't disagree that it's a lot of money since that's more than i'll make in a decade working in education, but there's no sustainability unless he decides on living a middle-class lifestyle until he can find a job that will pay more than what a college grad will make.

athletes are notoriously terrible at managing their finances.

Business model sounds sketchy.

The revenue streams to defray expenses and generate a profit seem quite difficult to attain, considering the huge costs to operate, which present an almost insurmountable entry barrier. Assuming entry barriers are overcome with large infusions of capital, I'm not seeing a model of sustained profitability here.

My prediction is this never gets off the ground in a big way. Entry barriers too high. Only possibility will be a reduced product, with minimal reach, that will never attain the necessary critical mass for success .

I'm in favor of this. It would require substantial subsidies from the NFL to work though. And who really cares who watches it? I believe there is plenty of talented HS kids who don't give a wet fart about college. Give them another option.

Maybe you're right, but then you think of all the cities in this country with no NFL team, and you've gotta think they could make some money. Sacramento, Salt Lake City, Portland, Las Vegas, San Antonio etc.... the country is full of cities that love football with little to no competition from NFL or college football teams.

It just might work.

A. Many people don't have a college education. So no big deal there.
B. Is it a smart move for a player? Probably not... but its their choice
c. College football would be watered down a bit, but we would still root for our teams...
d. It would be up to the tv and press on how it is covered as to how the fans would receive it....
e. College teams would have "qualified" students who should be in college, not like some of the schools now...

I say go for it...

Advertisement
Back