Couch commits. Official.

Advertisement
I can remember reading about how the coaches weren't that high on Corn at first and how he was struggling with Mannys scheme. Gotta give Rumph credit on that one

Yeah, Corn was a highly rated kid. He did get better under Rumph though.

Agree. He Definitely got a lot better under Coach Rumph. I still remember that diving deflection of an intended pass when Elder was pretty much parallel to the ground.

Advertisement
not every senior take that next step like corn did

Disagree...And that's not even the sake of being one way or the other on the Rumph arguement. Elder was very good as a junior. It wasn't some huge unbelievable step. He was contemplating going pro after a big junior year.

Better senior year? Finishing touches on his game with Rumph? Sure...Some "big next step"? Nah

Disagree...And that's not even the sake of being one way or the other on the Rumph arguement. Elder was very good as a junior. It wasn't some huge unbelievable step. He was contemplating going pro after a big junior year.

Better senior year? Finishing touches on his game with Rumph? Sure...Some "big next step"? Nah
Up till that point corn had played the best ball of any cane cb in his senior year in a long time, rumph did not just sit on his hands like some on here insinuate. He was really solid as a junior but his game grew even more so under rumph. You can question his recruiting all you want but his coaching ability imo is very evident

he wasn't even starting as a jr and rumph turned him into a lockdown cb. last year people were saying we needed to let M Jack transfer and the kid played at an All ACC level. better scheme and better fundamentals being taught.

Advertisement

No he wasn’t. Elder got a lot better his senior year. His junior year he wouldn’t have gone drafted.

rumph did not just sit on his hands like some on here insinuate. He was really solid as a junior but his game grew even more so under rumph. You can question his recruiting all you want but his coaching ability imo is very evident

Nor did he work a miracle like others insinuate... And ya I agree he's a decent coach, esp with what he did w Colbert in a couple months...BUT, I'm not ready to crown him Corey Raymond like some on this board are.

No he wasn’t. Elder got a lot better his senior year. His junior year he wouldn’t have gone drafted.

No I disagree with you, Elder was very good his junior year and even better as a senior. He also flashed his soph. year.

He was drafted 5th round senior year, after receiving some 3rd round hype...I think he could have snuck in rounds 5-7 junior year as well.

Advertisement
Nor did he work a miracle like others insinuate... And ya I agree he's a decent coach, esp with what he did w Colbert in a couple months...BUT, I'm not ready to crown him Corey Raymond like some on this board are.
I don’t think anyone said he was Corey Raymond on here and no he did not have much to work with his first year at Miami. Remember corn elder was the only proven commodity at corner. Redwine and Michael Jackson had little experience playing corner. Colbert was a cast away player at Texas who he molded to a solid corner and Malek Young made tremendous strides but was a true freshman.
Last year once again they were a little more experienced but not by much and lost the main 2 starters but still performed well even Trajan bandy the new comer. Ironically he has built a position group stacked with talent but he “can’t recruit” according to some. If you make sure to knock him for who he missed then you must do the same and give credit when it’s due for who he lands and how his group plays overall

Outside of the terrible miss of truly Campbell no excuse for that one. Surtain I never Thought he was coming. Remember rumph pushed early on to recruit Samuel but Diaz wasn’t with it until a week or so before the early signing day. You can’t fault rumph for losing out on him, same thing with couch or Davis. Rumph pushed for those guys too, thankfully we are righting the ship with couch and Davis it appears

Last edited:
. If you make sure to knock him for who he missed then you must do the same and give credit when it’s due for who he lands and how his group plays overall

While at the same time not exaggerating it...Wisky, VA, and QB with actual pulse had success on us through air. But overall I agree with you, Rumph has proven to be a decent coach on the field

Advertisement
He got better. Corn came in as an athlete. Was not even close to a refined corner. He left one. Gotta credit Rumph regardless of people's narratives on here.

Nah the narratives seem to be that Rumph saved Elder...We were all excited when he stayed because he had a very good UM career up to that point.

He got better. Corn came in as an athlete. Was not even close to a refined corner. He left one. Gotta credit Rumph regardless of people's narratives on here.

Im just playing devils advocate in this convo because i have nothing against his teaching the game, im just saying corn wasn’t a scrub I remember when he came in as a freshman and i was at a couple practices and saw him ball out like we saw him do his whole career

If Corn had played at Bama he would have been a national name and a higher round pick. He just unfortunately played at UM at a bad time when we were a national joke for his first 3 years. He had skills and was a gamer. Hope he catches on in the league.

Rumph definitely can put Corn on his resume as a success story when it comes to him developing talent. Along with Adrian Colbert who Charlie Strong the "Defensive guru" threw in the dumpster. Rumph just needs a few guys like MJ to pan out and become first round picks then the ball can get rolling for him. Because I am liking what I see from Bandy, Frierson and DJ Ivey as far as their ability to become premium players if developed right.

Nah the narratives seem to be that Rumph saved Elder...We were all excited when he stayed because he had a very good UM career up to that point.

Man, you're doing some serious straw man arguing here. No one is saying he "saved" Elder. Nor are we saying he's "performed miracles." We are saying he's done a good job with the talent he's had to work with (which IMO has been a bit below par for Miami).

Elder, Colbert, MJ are all good development stories for Rumph. Not that these guys are/were scrubs, but Rumph got them performing at a high level than a lot of coaches could.

Advertisement
Back