Cory Johnson 2014 JUCO NT mid-yr highlights

It is my belief that CJ and Pelon would put us right with Oregon, TAMU, FSU and OSU as the prohibitive favorites to win the National Championship next year.

They would give us the best defense in the country.

Advertisement
My God would this guy be a perfect fit for us and a perfect situation for his future draft prospects.

Cory, you stand to make far more money if you come here, play on a 2014 defense packed to the brim with talent, and are drafted to do exactly what you'll be asked to do here: thereby lowering the risk for an NFL franchise and increasing your draft stock ($).

Let's do this.

How do you project Cory Johnson fitting in along our scheme? You alluded to it in the bold above and with the Randy Starks comparison, but I'd appreciate it if you'd spell it out. I love his talent but have struggled to put a finger on exactly how I think he would best be utilized.

Yeah, I saw him slipping a lot of blocks and that is exactly what LuRob had a falling out with the staff about.

He also showed some raw strength, but I wonder if he'd be better used as a nose or a 3 technique.

It is my belief that CJ and Pelon would put us right with Oregon, TAMU, FSU and OSU as the prohibitive favorites to win the National Championship next year.

Only problem is that we don't have a returning starter at QB like all of those schools arguably could.

Advertisement
We need at least 1 more grown man (JUCO or 5th year guy) to play NT for 2014, it would be a great fit. Probably the most important position on this defense and one of the most hard to find.

Currently we have Stuckey/Moore/Valentine/Jenkins at that spot for next year. Maybe King as well. That is very worrisome but I'm sure the staff is all over this. The Renfrow pick up this year was beyond big.

My God would this guy be a perfect fit for us and a perfect situation for his future draft prospects.

Cory, you stand to make far more money if you come here, play on a 2014 defense packed to the brim with talent, and are drafted to do exactly what you'll be asked to do here: thereby lowering the risk for an NFL franchise and increasing your draft stock ($).

Let's do this.

How do you project Cory Johnson fitting in along our scheme? You alluded to it in the bold above and with the Randy Starks comparison, but I'd appreciate it if you'd spell it out. I love his talent but have struggled to put a finger on exactly how I think he would best be utilized.

He's big, quick and explosive. He has long arms. I've never seen him in person or talked to him, so what I can tell you is highly speculative. I'm basically commenting on whatever is available in the internet and based on what the staff has felt about the kid. In these clips and the ones in the past, you see him doing some slipping and attacking gaps :)/ in our scheme, mostly), but you also see him bench press some of the (admittedly lesser) OL. He looks like he can play the Luther Robinson role or play Nose (in more of a Randy Starks way instead of a Paul Soliai way). I compared his attributes to Randy Starks because of those reasons. Just a talented, aggressive and versatile guy.

Other than Pierre, we don't have anyone on the roster who matches all of that, and it scares me that Pierre might be thrust into the Curtis Porter role next year in order to make up for it. That means we'd, at best, "stagnate" at two positions - kinda like when Brandon Washington played LT here. If we don't get a guy who can play for Curtis Porter next year, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Pierre tried at that spot and Kamalu step into the Pierre role.

One thing, though, Golden pulling Renfro out of his hat was another reason to just trust that these guys know their plan and what is needed to execute it. I just don't know how many Renfros we can pull out, and realistically, we need more than a Renfro next year. Earl Moore, Stuckey, King, and even Valentine can play that limited Renfro role. Someone has to try to match the Porter impact.

Last edited:
We need at least 1 more grown man (JUCO or 5th year guy) to play NT for 2014, it would be a great fit. Probably the most important position on this defense and one of the most hard to find.

Currently we have Stuckey/Moore/Valentine/Jenkins at that spot for next year. Maybe King as well. That is very worrisome but I'm sure the staff is all over this. The Renfrow pick up this year was beyond big.

I like Stuckey in that spot. Moore hopefully develops to become an adequate contributor, and that is where he best fits too IMO. Johnson seems to have some ability to play nose, but I think he will and can be versatile and also play 3-tech.

With that group I don't think we will have one guy that owns the NT spot like Porter does, but I think we can hopefully have a stout rotation

Only problem is that we don't have a returning starter at QB like all of those schools arguably could.

Mariotta AND Manziel will both be gone

Advertisement

Let's do this.

He's big, quick and explosive. He has long arms. I've never seen him in person or talked to him, so what I can tell you is highly speculative. I'm basically commenting on whatever is available in the internet and based on what the staff has felt about the kid. In these clips and the ones in the past, you see him doing some slipping and attacking gaps :)/ in our scheme, mostly), but you also see him bench press some of the (admittedly lesser) OL. He looks like he can play the Luther Robinson role or play Nose. I compared his attributes to Randy Starks because of those reasons. Just a talented, aggressive and versatile guy.

Other than Pierre, we don't have anyone on the roster who matches all of that, and it scares me that Pierre might be thrust into the Curtis Porter role next year in order to make up for it. That means we'd, at best, "stagnate" at two positions - kinda like when Brandon Washington played LT here. If we don't get a guy who can play for Curtis Porter next year, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Pierre tried at that spot and Kamalu step into the Pierre role.

One thing, though, Golden pulling Renfo's out of his hat was another reason to just trust these guys know their plan and what is needed to fit it. I just don't know how many Renfro's we can pull out, and realistically, we need more than a Renfro next year. Earl Moore, Stuckey, King, and even Valentine can play that limited Renfro role. Someone has to try to match the Porter impact.

Awesome. I agree that Cory Johnson has the versatility (alluded to in the post above which I posted prior to reading this). I think the biggest thing about Johnson (if it translates) is that he is just a very talented guy. He's the type of guy which you find a role for in any scheme because his talent is there. I worry that he doesn't fit the NT role as well as Porter, but I think a mix of him Stuckey and Moore can get it done.

I like the Starks comparison. I believe there was year where Starks played nose for the dolphins out of necessity and did well, but he is more natural at other spots.

Let's do this.

He's big, quick and explosive. He has long arms. I've never seen him in person or talked to him, so what I can tell you is highly speculative. I'm basically commenting on whatever is available in the internet and based on what the staff has felt about the kid. In these clips and the ones in the past, you see him doing some slipping and attacking gaps :)/ in our scheme, mostly), but you also see him bench press some of the (admittedly lesser) OL. He looks like he can play the Luther Robinson role or play Nose. I compared his attributes to Randy Starks because of those reasons. Just a talented, aggressive and versatile guy.

One thing, though, Golden pulling Renfo's out of his hat was another reason to just trust these guys know their plan and what is needed to fit it. I just don't know how many Renfro's we can pull out, and realistically, we need more than a Renfro next year. Earl Moore, Stuckey, King, and even Valentine can play that limited Renfro role. Someone has to try to match the Porter impact.

Awesome. I agree that Cory Johnson has the versatility (alluded to in the post above which I posted prior to reading this). I think the biggest thing about Johnson (if it translates) is that he is just a very talented guy. He's the type of guy which you find a role for in any scheme because his talent is there. I worry that he doesn't fit the NT role as well as Porter, but I think a mix of him Stuckey and Moore can get it done.

I like the Starks comparison. I believe there was year where Starks played nose for the dolphins out of necessity and did well, but he is more natural at other spots.

Agreed. Not that I'm comparing them at all, but a guy like Easley is a good example. Just find really talented football players. Place them on the field in a role and tell them what to do. More often than not, they'll make plays. In 2-3 years, the idea is that Valentine grows into an AA at the Nose. And, round and round we go with an effective system full of redundancies.

how is manziel gone and not playing for 2014?

going for that NFL
319.gif

Advertisement
Stuckey will be the nt next year. He is already 310 and he is a strong run stuffing type of dt. He is enrolling early and the staff will have 6-7 months to get him up to 320-325 like porter who was 312 last year. Johnson will likely play the robinson roll he is 295. Pelon can play the pierre role as the dt/de. Valentine and jenkins will play nt and moten will play pierre role.

Stuckey will be the nt next year. He is already 310 and he is a strong run stuffing type of dt. He is enrolling early and the staff will have 6-7 months to get him up to 320-325 like porter who was 312 last year. Johnson will likely play the robinson roll he is 295. Pelon can play the pierre role as the dt/de. Valentine and jenkins will play nt and moten will play pierre role.

All of this makes sense to me. Sometimes there are guys like Johnson who just break the mold and are talented enough to make an impact at a position where their physical attributes might not be a perfect match. Another example that Cory reminds me of is Jay Ratliff.

Advertisement

You think TAMpon is a favorite next year? Did you see their defense? What about if Manziel leaves?

The good news is Kentucky sucks and will suck.

Kentucky is 1-2 for the year although one loss comes against that powerhouse.....Western Kentucky.

They will lose to: UF, USCe, Bama, UGA, Tenn, Missouri and Vandy.

They have a chance to beat: Alabama State and Miss State

If they get 3 wins, they should be thanking Jebus because they exceeded last year's win total by 1 Game. Since 2010, Kentucky has won 4 total games in the SEC and is 14-26 overall.

i see the Randy Starks comparison. Add to it...Randy is one of the best dt's in the nfl very underrated.

Randy in some schemes can kick out to end and perform at a high level...also lines up at the nose for solai...and is a 3 tech.....

If this kid is half as nice its a godsend...his tape is very impressive....dude needs to gon head and commit..i dont even see the fit in UK.

You think TAMpon is a favorite next year? Did you see their defense? What about if Manziel leaves?

aTm will be well regarded early on. Their defense has a ton of young talent on it and, while they will struggle this year, will be much improved next year...sound familiar?

As for Manziel, I think if he goes early the whole team takes a major snap back. However, they bring in the #1 ranked QB and the pollsters will love to hype him up in Sumlin's offense.

Advertisement
Back