Cornerbacks Coach Candidates- 2021

Get Baker TFOH. He can’t call a game, he can’t coach Lb’s (terrible actually), and he can’t recruit. The guy is literally useless. Bit off way more than he could chew and on make or break downs he drops 8 into coverage or calls an unbalanced blitz leaving Riley Reid Gaping buttholes all over the field.

Advertisement
This is what I’m going with to an extent. If they’re talking to position coaches, and Baker is staying, then they’re limiting who will take the DC job. I think it’s a mistake if that’s what’s happening. One strong DC can come in with a clean board and fill the position coaches accordingly.
Manny will never take us any higher than this past season if unwilling to fire Baker and turn the defense over to a good DC

This is what I’m going with to an extent. If they’re talking to position coaches, and Baker is staying, then they’re limiting who will take the DC job. I think it’s a mistake if that’s what’s happening. One strong DC can come in with a clean board and fill the position coaches accordingly.

If Diaz keeps Baker as the playcalling DC, I'll have to admit I was wrong about him caring enough about his dream job to make tough choices. I can understand Diaz keeping him on staff in some capacity because Baker is going to get his money whether he's on the staff or not (as they say in the business world, "it's a sunk cost"), but not as a play-calling DC. Hopefully this is just a case of Nice Guy Manny trying to give Baker an opportunity to find a new gig rather than accept the humiliation of a demotion or getting fired.

I remember back when Golden got smoked 58-0, Blake James didn't want to fire him (at least not immediately) but he got a ton of pressure from heavy hitters to pull the trigger. Then those same heavy hitters put massive pressure on Richt to hire an OC, which was non-negotiable as Richt retired rather than moving forward with an OC (apparently those big timers had enough juice that Richt couldn't ignore them and go into the next season as OC). What I want to know is- where are these guys now with the pressure to dump Baker?

Last edited:
To summarize and clarify... I’m a pessimist

There are a lot of good names that are interested at all positions

my pessimism revolves around our ability to piece more than 1 of them into a staff together. Due to money, position, fit

Manny has done it before so I’ll try to hold off on my opinions until more concrete stuff comes through

Based on what you've heard, is Manny trying to thread the needle of having Baker remain as DC in name only (or as Co-DC) with someone else coming on as a new position coach that would also have the title of Co-DC? With Manny calling plays?

I've seen others mention this as a possibility but even in my instinct to be a pessimist when it comes to UM football...I legitimately did not think it would be possible for him to justify in ANY way shape or form a defensive staff where Baker remains as DC in any capacity.

Based on what you've heard, is Manny trying to thread the needle of having Baker remain as DC in name only (or as Co-DC) with someone else coming on as a new position coach that would also have the title of Co-DC? With Manny calling plays?

I've seen others mention this as a possibility but even in my instinct to be a pessimist when it comes to UM football...I legitimately did not think it would be possible for him to justify in ANY way shape or form a defensive staff where Baker remains as DC in any capacity.
I still see baker calling plays, could potentially be the co-dc meaning a demoted title. I think it fully depends on who we get. There is a guy I think manny would turn playcalling over to if he lands him

Advertisement
Cribby said it best. “Diaz will win the off season”, “patience”,“watch the portal”, “Diaz wants to be here”....
Until anything actually happens, we are just working ourselves up.

Relax, take it easy, have some bourbon and enjoy the process.

To summarize and clarify... I’m a pessimist

There are a lot of good names that are interested at all positions

my pessimism revolves around our ability to piece more than 1 of them into a staff together. Due to money, position, fit

Manny has done it before so I’ll try to hold off on my opinions until more concrete stuff comes through
What is your prediction for the staff

I still see baker calling plays, could potentially be the co-dc meaning a demoted title. I think it fully depends on who we get. There is a guy I think manny would turn playcalling over to if he lands him
Does he pitch for the Indians?

Advertisement
Supposedly t.rob turned the gaytors down
I think Dan Mullen Is going to the NFL. Which could suck for us. Mullen is a **** good coach but a **** Recruiter. If they get a coach in there who can actually recruit, it will make things more difficult for us.

I think you are confusing two different issues. For the most part budget hasn't been an issue at UM. Miami has more than enough to fill out the position spots and DC job with top candidates. Of course, they aren't going to give 1.7 million for a DC and 1.5 million for a CB coach since no one does that. Diaz's selections aren't budget-limited. If we get a bunch of duds, it's because Diaz wanted those duds, not because he was trying to operate with a tiny budget.
Not confusing nothing just going off how UM has operated. Have they stepped their game up with the football budget since they hired Mark sure not saying they haven't. But allowing a coach to have unlimited funds to fill positions and you turn around and let him make dud hires is equivalent to not having the money available. I'm tired of assuming they have the money lined up (because I know they have the money) I think I speak for some when I say show me.
I'm not one to bash the program that's not me, I love the Canes. But I know what this program is capable of and if they want to get back in the national convo you might have to over spend a lil bit to get some elite recruiting and coaching in building. Just my thoughts...hate it or love it

I think you are confusing two different issues. For the most part budget hasn't been an issue at UM. Miami has more than enough to fill out the position spots and DC job with top candidates. Of course, they aren't going to give 1.7 million for a DC and 1.5 million for a CB coach since no one does that. Diaz's selections aren't budget-limited. If we get a bunch of duds, it's because Diaz wanted those duds, not because he was trying to operate with a tiny budget.
He’s operating with a very average budget. You’re right in a sense. He wanted 2 duds (blame richt for promoting Patke because now he’s making more than he should) Baker and Patke. Baker is making 500k or similar and Patke is making about $400k from his promotion and now being STC.

That money would get you 2 very good assistants if it was spent correctly.

Advertisement
He’s operating with a very average budget. You’re right in a sense. He wanted 2 duds (blame richt for promoting Patke because now he’s making more than he should) Baker and Patke. Baker is making 500k or similar and Patke is making about $400k from his promotion and now being STC.

That money would get you 2 very good assistants if it was spent correctly.

Ridiculous paying a ST coach 400k. Diaz can take STs (not that weird, Saban oversees STs) and maybe add a GA to help him there. If he saved the money by dumping Patke and Baker, that's nearly 1 mil for a DC without any increase in the budget.

Ridiculous paying a ST coach 400k. Diaz can take STs (not that weird, Saban oversees STs) and maybe add a GA to help him there. If he saved the money by dumping Patke and Baker, that's nearly 1 mil for a DC without any increase in the budget.
Well he signed a contract to be co-dc before richt resigned. That’s why he’s making that money

Advertisement
IMG_20201116_235946.png

Watch out for fake insiders...I’m just saying... I told someone via DM on Twitter that we were looking at “___” for our DL coach

He proceeds to tell me he heard that and thats he’s 4th on “our list”

The name I mentioned is a pitcher for the St Louis Cardinals. Don’t want to say which one just to make it not so obvious if he’s reading this board.

Every fake rumor I tell him I’ve heard he has also heard. I’m in my crystal ball or someone is a fool.

Come on, please don't do this to me. The Cardinals really need to keep all their great pitchers.

So we're going to hire DVD... probably some local highschool coach as DL and Blake stays as DC...welp...I can't wait to lose 10 games next season

Advertisement
Back