Cornerback Play

I wish but he is never leaving LSU unless he gets offered a DC position. He's their Ace recruiter on defense, develops at a high level and get compensated really well because of it.
If Manny can separate from his lover, he can be the DC at Miami!!

Advertisement
Yes ****n please. I bet the pass rush starts looking a whole lot better as well. Tough to get home when your CB's are giving a 10 yard cushion on 3rd and 5.
exactly. Teams have dink n dunk'd there way into our redzone every game. Bakers delayed blitzes leave gaps right in the middle of our defense that EVERY team has seen on film and knows are coming.

LSU DBs don’t look too good this season. I like our CBs this season. The Canes CBS are probably playing like a top 5 group. Opposing OCs are staying away from the CBs, but they are trying to pick on the LBs and Bolden in coverage.

I love everything about our defense, except the starting LBs. I think we have to get Brooks healthy and give the younger LBs more reps.

exactly. Teams have dink n dunk'd there way into our redzone every game. Bakers delayed blitzes leave gaps right in the middle of our defense that EVERY team has seen on film and knows are coming.
Don’t even get me started on the delayed blitzes that I can call out pre-snap. Does are dbs and pass rush no favors.

The thing is that this defense has a history of being terrible in zone coverage. We were terrible in zone under Donofrio as well and that fact hasn't changed since. I would venture to guess that zone isn't something commonly run in our recruiting area in South Florida and many of these kids coming in are just not accustomed to playing it. In addition and in the interest of fairness, those kids haven't exactly been the beneficiaries of good competent DB coaching. Paul Williams, Banda and Rumph aren't exactly Nick Saban or Corey Raymond when it comes to being able to teach effectively.
Go watch Ivey and Blades hudl. They both played more zone and press man with a bail technique. In general SoFla kids play way more off coverage than most think.

Advertisement
I won’t step on his toes too badly but we don’t pattern match in any of our zones we run that I’ve seen. It’s pretty archaic to spot drop only but here we are

Difficult to look good in our calls hence why never any CB buzz and consequently never any croots
Forget about stepping on toes my friend. I greatly appreciate the feedback. You said that it's considered archaic to spot drop exclusively. Why is it that we still do it then? There must be some reason. Also you said something about this making it difficult to look good in our calls and that this turns off CB recruits. Could you elaborate on that? I just want to get a better insight into what is going through Diaz and Bakers heads. There must be a reason that they do what they do and what they don't do. I would like to have a better understanding of why.

Go watch Ivey and Blades hudl. They both played more zone and press man with a bail technique. In general SoFla kids play way more off coverage than most think.
You're right of course. I just have a tough time understanding why our kids always suck at zone. It's pretty frustrating.

You're right of course. I just have a tough time understanding why our kids always suck at zone. It's pretty frustrating.
Bc I don’t think they are allowed to ply aggressively in zone from what I see we play a more of don’t get beat over the top give up the underneath then come up and tackle

Advertisement
I’m sure this will turn into a debate of how Rumph can’t recruits, however these CB’s have played very well so far this season. Yes there has been some bad plays, but there is not a corner alive that doesn’t give up some bad plays. I’m really excited to see how Couch continues to develop during this season and hopefully Dunson gets more defensive snaps.

Al Blades
•Targeted 34 times
•Allowed only 17 catches for 200 yards
•Average of 3 catch for 33 yards per game

D.J. Ivey
•Targeted 20 times
•Allowed only 7 catches for 109 yards
•Average of 1 catch for 18 yards per game

Te’Cory Couch
•Allowed only 12 catches for 164 yards
•Average of 2 catch for 27 yards per game
Many on this board dont want FACTS, cause they still mad at coach rumph for 3 other db's going to the security & exchange commission conference A.K.A. the sec. Even when we had the #1 pass defense in the nation, them ****'s were still complaining, and than when that was brought up, some of their responses was " name a top passing offense or qb we faced that season" when we put the Lsu(like opponent)game passing stats: crickets, when the question was asked this year was trevor lawrence a good enuff qb, for some reason the same crickets showed up again. Been saying it for years, coach rumph is the last one on the coaching staff you have to worry about, our secondaries have been back to being legit once coach richt got here and brought in coach rumph and banda.

Most of the big plays given up have come in these soft busted zone coverages, not press-man. Notice how you barely seen anybody give our boy dj ivey any luv when he scored against Clemson, cause that same crew mad cause they still think it was his fault in the Georgia Tech game on that special teams play when clearly that was on the coaching staff, a bomb by the kicker, that because they had already seen that flaw more than enuff to have that ready, I'll say this, at least we were expecting something but they just wanted ivey to play short, who throwing bombs on special teams, lol.

All people cried about was, "we have no depth" and than when Williams dipped out, they were at it again, and the question was asked, how come that 2001 team had glenn sharpe, a True Freshman in the starting lineup, was anybody complaining about cornerback depth than, guess who showed up again, those same crickets!

So what that tells me is our LB's and Safeties need to do a better job in coverage.
No, what is been telling is in this defensive scheme that coach diaz brought in, it doesn't use the linebackers and safeties in congruent with each other in pass defense. This problem just didn't start, coach diaz makes it clear about our defense not giving up "the big play" that's primarily what you need to know. Them ****'s(diaz & baker) scared as **** to go zero coverage, cowards.

The LB’s and Bubba Bolden have not been good in coverage at all.

Gilbert Frierson
•Allowed only 18 catches for 77 yards
•Average of 3 catch for 12 yards per game

Gurvan Hall
•Allowed only 8 catches for 77 yards
•Average of 1 catch for 12 yards per game

Amari Carter
•Targeted 13 times
•Allowed only 7 catches for 67 yards
•Average of 1 catch for 11 yards per game
Disagree on Bubba. He’s being asked to play man on guys like Atwell. Relative to how every saftey in America handles assignments like that, he’s doing well.

No, what is been telling is in this defensive scheme that coach diaz brought in, it doesn't use the linebackers and safeties in congruent with each other in pass defense. This problem just didn't start, coach diaz makes it clear about our defense not giving up "the big play" that's primarily what you need to know. Them ****'s(diaz & baker) scared as **** to go zero coverage, cowards.
Cover zero has guys playing off the ball. I think you mean playing man on the corners.

Our current corners have the body type for the Seahawks cover 3 style of play. They also are built for cover 2 zones. Neither blades nor Ivey are elite man press guys in terms of smooth hips and burst but they are above replacement at what they do. I’d like to see us get more aggressive with man press on obvious pass downs to help the DL make plays and break tendencies.

Advertisement
Can’t lie I will never hesitate to criticize Rumph for his shortcomings but we haven’t really heard the corners’ names since week 2, and that’s a good thing.

They’re not perfect and the way they’re forced to play doesn’t help either so unless someone knows otherwise, it appears that his guys are developing.

Cover zero has guys playing off the ball. I think you mean playing man on the corners.

Our current corners have the body type for the Seahawks cover 3 style of play. They also are built for cover 2 zones. Neither blades nor Ivey are elite man press guys in terms of smooth hips and burst but they are above replacement at what they do. I’d like to see us get more aggressive with man press on obvious pass downs to help the DL make plays and break tendencies.
Cover 0 only has guys playing off the ball if they got a scared as d-co, it's simple **** that we just don't do with the defensive play-call coming in as well as when and what type of calls on down and distance. They making these spread offenses out to be more than what they actually are, alot of line crowding would force many offensive adjustments, these spread offenses are based off alot of timing, if you give these guys press man looks and drop into short zones, alot of **** will get picked off real easy.

Most d-co's are just sitting back letting these spread concepts attack them instead of phucking up the timing by attacking the spreads. Alot of it has to do with how the safeties and linebackers are used,

Advertisement
I think where our guys really stink is in zone coverage. Part of that is on the linebackers not getting their proper drops into their zones which leaves gaping holes in the zone. There's also poor communication as well. Couch is our best man coverage corner.
Our linebackers rarely drop back into zone.

Forget about stepping on toes my friend. I greatly appreciate the feedback. You said that it's considered archaic to spot drop exclusively. Why is it that we still do it then? There must be some reason. Also you said something about this making it difficult to look good in our calls and that this turns off CB recruits. Could you elaborate on that? I just want to get a better insight into what is going through Diaz and Bakers heads. There must be a reason that they do what they do and what they don't do. I would like to have a better understanding of why.
I’m not sure what goes through their heads but I think they prefer us to bail at the snap and get to the spot so nothing gets behind us. Almost a prevent D as a base.

As for the recruits the system often has our guys way off the ball nowhere near a position to make a play. If we had any proof of putting guys in the league like a UF we might get those guys but too often they look out of position due to our coverage. We lose too often pre snap on run and pass D

I’m not sure what goes through their heads but I think they prefer us to bail at the snap and get to the spot so nothing gets behind us. Almost a prevent D as a base.

As for the recruits the system often has our guys way off the ball nowhere near a position to make a play. If we had any proof of putting guys in the league like a UF we might get those guys but too often they look out of position due to our coverage. We lose too often pre snap on run and pass D
I think you just hit it on the head. It's basically a prevent as a base D. You're on point with the rest as well. What I can't figure out is why give so much cushion/respect to teams that have no ability to beat us down the field. Those teams make plays down the field not because they are good offensively but because our DC basically concedes it to them by playing his prevent zone coverage.

I think you just hit it on the head. It's basically a prevent as a base D. You're on point with the rest as well. What I can't figure out is why give so much cushion/respect to teams that have no ability to beat us down the field. Those teams make plays down the field not because they are good offensively but because our DC basically concedes it to them by playing his prevent zone coverage.
Product of rolling out the same gameplan we would vs Clemson as we would vs UVA throwing to QBs. Seems to work vs the coastal but holy crap do guys drop balls against us. Saved us multiple games These last few years

Advertisement
Back