Cornerback Play

Hstokes1447

Junior
I’m sure this will turn into a debate of how Rumph can’t recruits, however these CB’s have played very well so far this season. Yes there has been some bad plays, but there is not a corner alive that doesn’t give up some bad plays. I’m really excited to see how Couch continues to develop during this season and hopefully Dunson gets more defensive snaps.

Al Blades
•Targeted 34 times
•Allowed only 17 catches for 200 yards
•Average of 3 catch for 33 yards per game

D.J. Ivey
•Targeted 20 times
•Allowed only 7 catches for 109 yards
•Average of 1 catch for 18 yards per game

Te’Cory Couch
•Allowed only 12 catches for 164 yards
•Average of 2 catch for 27 yards per game

Last edited:
Advertisement
I’m sure this will turn into a debate of how Rumph can’t recruits, however these CB’s have played very well so far this season. Yes there has been some bad plays, but there is not a corner alive that doesn’t give up some bad plays. I’m really excited to see how Couch continues to develop during this season and hopefully Dunson gets more defensive snaps.

Al Blades
•Targeted 34 times

D.J. Ivey
•Targeted 20 times

Te’Cory Couch
I think where our guys really stink is in zone coverage. Part of that is on the linebackers not getting their proper drops into their zones which leaves gaping holes in the zone. There's also poor communication as well. Couch is our best man coverage corner.

Advertisement
I think where our guys really stink is in zone coverage. Part of that is on the linebackers not getting their proper drops into their zones which leaves gaping holes in the zone. There's also poor communication as well. Couch is our best man coverage corner.

The LB’s and Bubba Bolden have not been good in coverage at all.

Gilbert Frierson
•Allowed only 18 catches for 77 yards
•Average of 3 catch for 12 yards per game

Gurvan Hall
•Allowed only 8 catches for 77 yards
•Average of 1 catch for 12 yards per game

Amari Carter
•Targeted 13 times
•Allowed only 7 catches for 67 yards
•Average of 1 catch for 11 yards per game

I agree. I hate the soft *** zone Blake runs, it simply does not fit the skills of South Florida CB’s

The LB’s and Bubba Bolden have not been good in coverage at all.

Gilbert Frierson
•Allowed only 18 catches for 77 yards
•Average of 3 catch for 12 yards per game

Gurvan Hall
•Allowed only 8 catches for 77 yards
•Average of 1 catch for 12 yards per game

Amari Carter
•Targeted 13 times
•Allowed only 7 catches for 67 yards
•Average of 1 catch for 11 yards per game
I would be curious to see those stats as well. Bolden being asked to cover Atwell in man coverage against Louisville was comical.

Advertisement

Al Blades
•Targeted 34 times

D.J. Ivey
•Targeted 20 times

Te’Cory Couch
Based on this it seems blades covers their best receiver most of the time.

You can run zone maybe a few times during the game to throw them off if you really have that big of a fetish for it, but god **** it seems like it's our preferred choice on defense when we clearly have more success mano y mano.

Al Blades
•Targeted 34 times

D.J. Ivey
•Targeted 20 times

Te’Cory Couch
Some more tidbits, Al Blades is top 5 in pass deflections and interceptions prior to the starts of today’s game.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Not all the way on topic but in regards to our coverage, I just know that how much we use fire zone blitzes we put our safeties in position to get targeting penalties every game. We get on Amari and at this point he is the problem too but Bubba and Gurvan are usually right on the edge as well. 3rd down or obvious passing downs with 5-7 needed and our corners telegraph Cover 3... Hitches or comebacks are an automatic unless playing elite corners then we leave the seams open because of the blitzers. Too often one or multiple of our 3 underneath defenders don’t get hands on anybody rerouting them or throwing off timing. Our deep Safety is 15 yards off and when a tight end or slot gets a free release vertically that many times a game that collision is a football play that’s bound to happen .

LOLOL u know it’s political season when cats r posting meaningless and misleading stats to try to pump up Dumph again. Dude really is the new Swasey, clearly bad and unqualified in every area but has some local cheerleaders and somehow keeps on surviving.

As others have said, the real issue is the nature of our zone coverages. These individual stats do not tell the entire story.
@LuCane Could you please elaborate? I always enjoy reading your breakdowns. Are we pattern matching or spot dropping? Didn't Donofrio use spot dropping in that abortion of a zone he ran?

Advertisement
Back