Cornerback Play

The LB’s and Bubba Bolden have not been good in coverage at all.

Gilbert Frierson
•Allowed only 18 catches for 77 yards
•Average of 3 catch for 12 yards per game

Gurvan Hall
•Allowed only 8 catches for 77 yards
•Average of 1 catch for 12 yards per game

Amari Carter
•Targeted 13 times
•Allowed only 7 catches for 67 yards
•Average of 1 catch for 11 yards per game

How has Carter been targeted 13 times when he plays one play a game?

Advertisement
I think where our guys really stink is in zone coverage. Part of that is on the linebackers not getting their proper drops into their zones which leaves gaping holes in the zone. There's also poor communication as well. Couch is our best man coverage corner.
The thing is that this defense has a history of being terrible in zone coverage. We were terrible in zone under Donofrio as well and that fact hasn't changed since. I would venture to guess that zone isn't something commonly run in our recruiting area in South Florida and many of these kids coming in are just not accustomed to playing it. In addition and in the interest of fairness, those kids haven't exactly been the beneficiaries of good competent DB coaching. Paul Williams, Banda and Rumph aren't exactly Nick Saban or Corey Raymond when it comes to being able to teach effectively.

Advertisement

Gilbert Frierson

Gurvan Hall

Amari Carter
•Targeted 13 times
didn’t Amari target them 13 times..lol. Edit. Just saw I was beat to the punch.. touché

Couch is too sticky to warrant more PT. And that makes me wonder about C.Williams. Fire Rumph.

@LuCane Could you please elaborate? I always enjoy reading your breakdowns. Are we pattern matching or spot dropping? Didn't Donofrio use spot dropping in that abortion of a zone he ran?
I won’t step on his toes too badly but we don’t pattern match in any of our zones we run that I’ve seen. It’s pretty archaic to spot drop only but here we are

Difficult to look good in our calls hence why never any CB buzz and consequently never any croots

Advertisement
This would probably be the best time to pick up the LSU Db coach.
Manny needs to emotionally divorce himself from the defense entirely.

I give him alot of ****. But I think the CEO role fits him well. Problem is, in part bc his boys are involved, hes really sensitive and unrealistic about his defense.

I'd like to see him make a play for a veteran DC personally. My biggest dream is a play for Narduzzi after Pitt fires him.

LOLOL u know it’s political season when cats r posting meaningless and misleading stats to try to pump up Dumph again. Dude really is the new Swasey, clearly bad and unqualified in every area but has some local cheerleaders and somehow keeps on surviving.

What are you talking about?? Have you watched how these CB’s have played in man coverage? D.J. Has given up only 2 long passes all season and both came against UAB, now compact his play this season VS last season. No one talks about D.J. anymore around here because he is not getting burned every game.

Say what you please about the stats being inflated but if you actually watch them play you will see vastly improved play form every CB on this roster.

Yes I know Rump is the worst recruiter in the history of the Miami Hurricanes. Paul Williams pulled in more talent than him. With Rump being from South Florida, playing for the last Miami national championship team, being a 1st round draft pick, and former head coach of a South Florida power house, you would think he would absolutely kill it recruiting but he simply can not recruit.

Hard to judge corners when your d allows an inside release with no help over the middle and gets chewed up on in-breaking routes all drive until we get a sack or tfl

Advertisement
Couch is too sticky to warrant more PT. And that makes me wonder about C.Williams. Fire Rumph.
Williams wasn’t patient enough, that’s on him. With our depth chart he should’ve seen a way to work his way into the mix unless he felt Dunson ready to over take him.

The thing is that this defense has a history of being terrible in zone coverage. We were terrible in zone under Donofrio as well and that fact hasn't changed since. I would venture to guess that zone isn't something commonly run in our recruiting area in South Florida and many of these kids coming in are just not accustomed to playing it. In addition and in the interest of fairness, those kids haven't exactly been the beneficiaries of good competent DB coaching. Paul Williams, Banda and Rumph aren't exactly Nick Saban or Corey Raymond when it comes to being able to teach effectively.
A lot of man coverage being played on the high school level down here. But I don't think that's why Miami sucks at playing zone. The other programs that recruit South Florida are playing zone. It's the way our last 3 DC's run/teach zone that's the problem. We teach old-fashioned spot dropping zone coverage...aka stare at the QB and break on the ball.

If we taught pattern matching zone coverage...which basically turns into man coverage after route distribution...our kids would probably do better.

The only player in our back-7 that pattern matches is the Striker.

Advertisement

Gilbert Frierson

Gurvan Hall

Amari Carter
•Targeted 13 times
Of course our safeties and LBs give up passes! We play soft zone! Even when we blitz we play soft zone behind it! Our LB’s suck at everything lol.

Gilbert Frierson

Gurvan Hall

Amari Carter
•Targeted 13 times
•Average of 1 catch for 26 yards per game
FIFY. Gotta add 15 yards to Amari’s catch. He’s usually ejected after that and the play goes for an additional 15 yards once CONFIRMED on the review. Really isn’t all that impressive for him.

Manny needs to emotionally divorce himself from the defense entirely.

I give him alot of ****. But I think the CEO role fits him well. Problem is, in part bc his boys are involved, hes really sensitive and unrealistic about his defense.

I'd like to see him make a play for a veteran DC personally. My biggest dream is a play for Narduzzi after Pitt fires him.
I hope you’re right.... that would be a great pick up!

Advertisement
Back