Corn Elder

between corn, berrios chocolate and coley that is plenty of Miami types to be back there. How often do we hear some crap about the special teams guy getting hurt. It's football put them back there!!!!

Advertisement
Seems a couple members of the slurp squad are already in all out "defend Golden from completely deserved criticism" mode. A couple things..

If losing one cornerback due to injury leaves us f***** at the position for the rest of the year, that's a direct result of Golden's disgraceful CB recruiting over the last two years. Failed to land every premier CB target in each of the last two cycles. Neglected countless Miami-caliber corners from our own backyard. This is Year 5 of his tenure. It all comes back to him.

It's also amazing to see the lengths certain slurpers will go to defend Golden and his nonsensical decisions. Your reading comprehension is so awful that you managed to twist others' words from "Elder never would've gotten a crack at PR if Berrios & Coley didn't get hurt and Waters didn't muff one," which is undeniably true, into criticism of the players (Berrios/Coley) and anointing Elder as a star you don't risk losing on special teams after his breakout game against an FCS opponent.

Elder is obviously very talented. It's too bad we had to wait to until the first game of his junior season to see what he could do with the ball in his hands, despite all those awesome highlights from his Mr. Tennessee days in high school, because Golden failed to identify such a playmaker three summers in a row. Elder was the 3rd/4th string PR heading into last night. Inexcusable.

Once upon a time we had Santana moss, Andre Johnson, Philip Buchanan, and Sean Taylor returning kicks. Now we're scared to put corn elder back there. This whole program is so pussified.

Some of those guys returned kicks when losing them at their position would have marginal or no effect on the team. If you want to blame anything, blame Golden for having a program located in South F'in Florida with 3 experienced Corners and 3 total RBs (after the Gus injury). And, no one bring up the lost schollys, as we have a ****boat of dead weight on the roster.

Some yes, but not Moss and Buchanon. Overall the point was that back then we weren't afraid to put our best back there no matter how important they were. And it paid off. These days, Golden coaches scared in every facet of the game, so it's no surprise that he's afraid to put Corn back there. His supreme failure at roster management that you point out certainly compounds the problem.

We won a championship with Andre Johnson as our kickoff returner. Reggie Bush returned kicks when he won the Heisman. Edelman is New England's top receiver and he returns punts.

There are a million more examples but you get the picture. The returner group we finished with is the right one, although I might replace Walton with Lewis on kick offs.

I'd have Corn return punts; not kickoffs. Though he'd likely be electric there as well, as he was when he got a couple opportunities early in his career, he is really slight and we really need him at CB. Benefits outweigh the potential costs on punts, though.

Agreed. I like Gray as our primary KR.
I think Gray would be a good returner but we are down to 3 rb's and at least 1 is going to get injured. cant risk him

We also have Tracy, Artie and Corn as our three cb's, and a bunch of unknowns after those three.

Corn looked great returning punts, but the last thing we need is for some opponents 3rd string linebacker going helmet to helmet on Corn when he's waiting for the punt.

he can get hurt on 3 down as well. You play to win by not playing scared! As someone said, how has things changed. We have plenty of players on this team.

between corn, berrios chocolate and coley that is plenty of Miami types to be back there. How often do we hear some crap about the special teams guy getting hurt. It's football put them back there!!!!

Agreed. Soon we'll hear how Golden has decided to keep Corn on the bench when the defense plays because he can't risk losing our top cb by playing him.

Advertisement
Once upon a time we had Santana moss, Andre Johnson, Philip Buchanan, and Sean Taylor returning kicks. Now we're scared to put corn elder back there. This whole program is so pussified.

Some of those guys returned kicks when losing them at their position would have marginal or no effect on the team. If you want to blame anything, blame Golden for having a program located in South F'in Florida with 3 experienced Corners and 3 total RBs (after the Gus injury). And, no one bring up the lost schollys, as we have a ****boat of dead weight on the roster.

Some yes, but not Moss and Buchanon. Overall the point was that back then we weren't afraid to put our best back there no matter how important they were. And it paid off. These days, Golden coaches scared in every facet of the game, so it's no surprise that he's afraid to put Corn back there. His supreme failure at roster management that you point out certainly compounds the problem.

I'm almost entirely with you. I'm also just upset we're in the position (thin at certain positions) to be forced to have to think about it.

I'd have Corn return punts; not kickoffs. Though he'd likely be electric there as well, as he was when he got a couple opportunities early in his career, he is really slight and we really need him at CB. Benefits outweigh the potential costs on punts, though.

I think Gray would be a good returner but we are down to 3 rb's and at least 1 is going to get injured. cant risk him

We also have Tracy, Artie and Corn as our three cb's, and a bunch of unknowns after those three.

Corn looked great returning punts, but the last thing we need is for some opponents 3rd string linebacker going helmet to helmet on Corn when he's waiting for the punt.

he can get hurt on 3 down as well. You play to win by not playing scared! As someone said, how has things changed. We have plenty of players on this team.

You play to win, by playing aggressive and smart.

We are still 6 scholarship players short on this team. It's better than the 15 scholarship players we didn't have from last year, but we still don't have plenty of players.
We actually have less than most college football teams in the country.

The rationale behind not having Corn return punts, is the same as for Duke not returning kicks after his freshman year, when he was the best in the country.

Advertisement
Is Berrios not an elite athlete?

***** No!
I'm not trying to bash the kid, but seriously, what has he shown us on the field to back up the assertion that he is elite? He averaged 5 yards per return on punts last year and was pretty much a non factor at WR. I'm not saying pull his scholly or anything like that but I think there are more talented athletes who should be getting the reps at PR and WR.

To all of the experts Bashing AL for not having Elder starting as the kick returning. What would you be saying if he got hurt returning a kick and now we are F**ked at corner for the rest of the year. It is the same reason the Dolphins are keeping LaMike James to return kicks even though Landry is much better. If the player is too important to your team to get hurt you keep him off special teams.
He can get hurt playing CB. If a player is injury prone, you don't play him on returns....like Duke. Elder has never shown such tendencies. There are players who have returned kicks all their life and never seem to be injured, like Devin Hester.

We had endless depth in those days.

You play to win, by playing aggressive and smart.

We are still 6 scholarship players short on this team. It's better than the 15 scholarship players we didn't have from last year, but we still don't have plenty of players.
We actually have less than most college football teams in the country.

The rationale behind not having Corn return punts, is the same as for Duke not returning kicks after his freshman year, when he was the best in the country.

Oh for gods sake quit crying. i dont even think those are part of the sanctions. if i heard correctly i believe it is 9 total,3 a year. the reason we are short is because folden struck out at recruiting. if we are so short on scholarships why is he giving them out to walkons? all i hear are excuses excuses and more excuses

Advertisement
Special teams used to be one of our edges. We've always had somebody at PR/KR that could house one at any moment. Our recruiting ground is filled with these type of athletes.

A kid we were supposed to sign is currently doing it at Georgia.

I think a Miami team should always have that edge. You can flip the momentum of a game in just one kick return.

1/3 of the game is specials

In reality it's not. Just look at the number of offensive plays, defensive plays and special teams plays.

Ahhh, but the potential for bigger impact on the game per play is always there. Just check out that pretty little picture you have sitting there in the upper left.

I would work him in on offense too. A little slot or a couple touches out of the back field. Kid is electric. I said it when we signed him out of TN that he was going to be one of our best players. I got bashed because he didn't play in FL, but after last night I still think he's a top 5 player on the roster. Get him the rock

I'd take the chance. We need that electricity on special teams right now because this is the most athletically mediocre team I've ever seen at Miami. We have nobody on this team with any wiggle.

Clearly you have never watch Al shake n bake a news conference.

Advertisement
To all of the experts Bashing AL for not having Elder starting as the kick returning. What would you be saying if he got hurt returning a kick and now we are F**ked at corner for the rest of the year. It is the same reason the Dolphins are keeping LaMike James to return kicks even though Landry is much better. If the player is too important to your team to get hurt you keep him off special teams.

Santana moss, Phillip Buchanon, Roscoe Parrish would like to have a word with you bra.. geez.. Put your best players to make big time plays in big time games PERIOD.. SMH..

We won a championship with Andre Johnson as our kickoff returner. Reggie Bush returned kicks when he won the Heisman. Edelman is New England's top receiver and he returns punts.

There are a million more examples but you get the picture. The returner group we finished with is the right one, although I might replace Walton with Lewis on kick offs.

Those were on VERY deep teams.

Santana moss, Phillip Buchanon, Roscoe Parrish would like to have a word with you bra.. geez.. Put your best players to make big time plays in big time games PERIOD.. SMH..

DEPTH allowed them to back out back there. (Early Santana being the exception) The only way to prevent late season collapses is to have healthy starters or 2 deep. Now we are up to 79 players we have it. EVERYWHERE BUT CORNER

Advertisement
Back