Cormani out at CU

Im sure Deion learned a valuable lesson himself in all this. Just because they have 5*s by their name..you also have to actually do your homework on these kids and their parents and their handlers. And also where they are at mentally. Deion swooped in so fast and snatched Cormani there is no way he took any time to actually vet him. He just saw he was the #1 CB in the country and thats all that mattered to him. Everyone wont come perfectly gift wrapped like Travis Hunter.

We had DVD as his "mentor" so we were prepared. Deion just introduced him to Gillie and Wallo and Lil Wayne and thought he was good to go from there. Smh.
Facts

Have to eval yourself can’t go by a list. Sometimes that works but a lot of times it doesn’t

Advertisement
bruh Mario and Saban were wrong here to, he probably was a jag but the perfect storm brewed. Sauce was skinny asf and made waves bruh right when this kid gained hype (same body type etc).....took all advantage of it and we would of taken him and he would of most likely been meh

pause
It's not them being wrong. Cormani is talented, and that's what made him a great player in HS. The problem is he needs a work ethic.

Mario, Saban, and all of these coaches usually know or have a good idea about these kids' work ethic and bet on themselves, their coaching staff, and their player culture that they can instill the proper values so that these kids can reach the potential they have.

Im sure Deion learned a valuable lesson himself in all this. Just because they have 5*s by their name..you also have to actually do your homework on these kids and their parents and their handlers. And also where they are at mentally. Deion swooped in so fast and snatched Cormani there is no way he took any time to actually vet him. He just saw he was the #1 CB in the country and thats all that mattered to him. Everyone wont come perfectly gift wrapped like Travis Hunter.

We had DVD as his "mentor" so we were prepared. Deion just introduced him to Gillie and Wallo and Lil Wayne and thought he was good to go from there. Smh.

But what is the actual lesson here? Notwithstanding being "prepared," we were still all in on Cormani as a take and willing to offer him big money to sign here. I get the sense Cormani would have similarly jumped ship from most respectable P4 schools after sitting on the bench and not being placated by coaches. In hindsight, the juice doesn't appear to be worth the squeeze, but most coaches who did their research would have still happily taken Cormani (our staff included).

It's not them being wrong. Cormani is talented, and that's what made him a great player in HS. The problem is he needs a work ethic.

Mario, Saban, and all of these coaches usually know or have a good idea about these kids' work ethic and bet on themselves, their coaching staff, and their player culture that they can instill the proper values so that these kids can reach the potential they have.

Sometimes your greatest strength as a coach becomes a flaw. Overall, I think it remains the correct mentality.

Advertisement

This isn't exclusive to just athletics. Plenty of kids get by being smart/talented and then when the work gets tougher, they don't take the step to put in more effort.

Bruh it could be he was rated to high. They could have been wrong it happens. The minute they step on a college practice field the HC possibly knows what they have. Some kids aren’t good enough sometimes it could be work ethic. Sometimes it’s a bad evaluation. It’s ok still to say some guys ain’t good or as good as their ranking. It’s like people have gotten scared to say “yo this dude is cheeks”. I feel like college and the pro game is turning in to little league baseball lol. It’s ok to say anyone is trash 5 star or not, it doesn’t make them a terrible person. If he was still a baller or 5 star UGA and those great db schools would call him. If USF is the main contender it tells you where he’s at.

But yea you could be right as well. Talent has to work hard but sometimes they do and still don’t live up to their ranking is all I’m saying. It’s possible some guys quit when they are going against men.

But what is the actual lesson here? Notwithstanding being "prepared," we were still all in on Cormani as a take and willing to offer him big money to sign here. I get the sense Cormani would have similarly jumped ship from most respectable P4 schools after sitting on the bench and not being placated by coaches. In hindsight, the juice doesn't appear to be worth the squeeze, but most coaches who did their research would have still happily taken Cormani (our staff included).
Deion didnt have any kind of support system for Cormani. It was all flash, NIL money, and come get coached by the GOAT CB..oh...and you will be the next Travis Hunter too and be a 1st round pick within 3 years. Kid like that been under his momma his whole life and now you ship him to Colorado of all places and just because you hand him a bag of money think he will just adjust.

We had DVD at the time as his mentor so we were already building a foundation and support system for him to succeed off the field here. Deion didnt have any of that. That is the lesson I was speaking to. Deion thinks every 5* kid is going to be like Travis Hunter and he found out otherwise and now he has to swallow his pride that he failed on this one. He failed miserably.

Advertisement
Bruh it could be he was rated to high. They could have been wrong it happens. The minute they step on a college practice field the HC possibly knows what they have. Some kids aren’t good enough sometimes it could be work ethic. Sometimes it’s a bad evaluation. It’s ok still to say some guys ain’t good or as good as their ranking. It’s like people have gotten scared to say “yo this dude is cheeks”. I feel like college and the pro game is turning in to little league baseball lol. It’s ok to say anyone is trash 5 star or not, it doesn’t make them a terrible person. If he was still a baller or 5 star UGA and those great db schools would call him. If USF is the main contender it tells you where he’s at.

But yea you could be right as well. Talent has to work hard but sometimes they do and still don’t live up to their ranking is all I’m saying. It’s possible some guys quit when they are going against men.

Huh? You don't say?

But he was so highly rated in high school. It doesn't make sense.

You mean Jake Garcia isn't a "gunslinger" and Kyle Wright isn't the next Troy Aikman? And maybe Luke Nickel isn't the automatic QB1 the very minute he drives on campus?

Good to know. (y)

Advertisement
Deion didnt have any kind of support system for Cormani. It was all flash, NIL money, and come get coached by the GOAT CB..oh...and you will be the next Travis Hunter too and be a 1st round pick within 3 years. Kid like that been under his momma his whole life and now you ship him to Colorado of all places and just because you hand him a bag of money think he will just adjust.

We had DVD at the time as his mentor so we were already building a foundation and support system for him to succeed off the field here. Deion didnt have any of that. That is the lesson I was speaking to. Deion thinks every 5* kid is going to be like Travis Hunter and he found out otherwise and now he has to swallow his pride that he failed on this one. He failed miserably.
How do you know he didn't have that? Or are you just throwing out some BS? i hate when peoples throw out BS without facts. Maybe this kid didn't have that work ethic or motivating to succeed at the next level...Stop trying to blame Deon and sounding like a hater. He chased the money he should have known what was coming next' he failed to prepare ' he knew what he was getting into.This is all on him and maybe you could blame the MOM also

Of course USC is interested. Riley is a top 5 offensive mind and can obviously coach QBs but the dude has no idea how to build a program and culture.

This isn't exclusive to just athletics. Plenty of kids get by being smart/talented and then when the work gets tougher, they don't take the step to put in more effort.
Agreed entirely. A lot of times they’re just too talented and aren’t challenged so that when they finally get to the next level they don’t know how to handle it because they’ve always gotten by naturally.

He could have been ranked too highly for sure.

I would argue he still should have been a 4 star at least. He has talent and he played well against talented teams. He wasn’t a complete bum (talent wise).

I think the real issue is he’s always been coddled and every told him he could do no wrong and was not equipped or prepared mentally to deal with the fact that he wasn’t good enough for the first time in his life.

That’s a very humbling experience and if you have never had to be humble it may too much to handle.

To summarize: he ****ed around and found out.

Advertisement
Huh? You don't say?

But he was so highly rated in high school. It doesn't make sense.

You mean Jake Garcia isn't a "gunslinger" and Kyle Wright isn't the next Troy Aikman? And maybe Luke Nickel isn't the automatic QB1 the very minute he drives on campus?

Good to know. (y)
I had Garcia as a 1 star

Oh, I hear you about the lack of support/infrastructure at Colorado for a kid like Cormani. I'm just not so sure a kid like that would even be successful at places with more structure. Sometimes a kid just doesn't have the right makeup to succeed.

Agreed entirely. A lot of times they’re just too talented and aren’t challenged so that when they finally get to the next level they don’t know how to handle it because they’ve always gotten by naturally.

He could have been ranked too highly for sure.

I would argue he still should have been a 4 star at least. He has talent and he played well against talented teams. He wasn’t a complete bum (talent wise).

I think the real issue is he’s always been coddled and every told him he could do no wrong and was not equipped or prepared mentally to deal with the fact that he wasn’t good enough for the first time in his life.

That’s a very humbling experience and if you have never had to be humble it may too much to handle.

To summarize: he ****ed around and found out.
Yup

Advertisement
Back