2023 Cormani McClain CB Commits to Colorado

Status
Not open for further replies.
No college team in history has had the advantages of Bama. They treat their program like a pro franchise. It’s a lot more than paying players. The last decade they’re the Yankees and everyone else is the Rays when it comes to payroll for the program.
It is what it is. It’s also why I don’t think Saban eventually retiring will matter either

It’s an Alabama thing not necessarily a Saban thing

Also why the things I’m most excited about this off-season aren’t really about Mario and what happens from day to day

I don’t expect us to invest like Bama, I have no idea if Mario is going to win NCs…but the most important part is we’ve finally gotten with the program when it comes to setting up the infrastructure for long term success

Advertisement
I fully understand and embrace the Bama/Saban hate. However, I think its lazy and convenient to just say they have the most money and that's the only reason the are great. Other schools UGA, OSU, LSU, Texas have huge athletic budgets and even bigger Alumni budgets (err bags). Yet somehow those schools have only one 1 ring or less during Saban's time at Bama while he has ripped off seven. (also odds on favorite to win number eight this year).
Agreed especially when you look at Texas

It’s definitely a combination of a lot of things but ya know it’s a message board so it has to be either Saban is the GOAT or they cheat for everything, no one between

I did not wake up today expecting to defend Saban, yet here I am.

Some of you sound salty or are drinking haterade. You can be a Miami Hurricane fan thru and thru yet acknowledge another program's greatness. I don't like Saban one bit, but the man recruits, coaches, develops and oversees it all. Give him his credit.

God dammit. I hate to have to cape for Nick Satan... but now do Jimmy Johnson at Oklahoma State.

The best coaches improve as their careers progress - now over to Melissa with the weather.

fail family guy GIF

Advertisement
I fully understand and embrace the Bama/Saban hate. However, I think its lazy and convenient to just say they have the most money and that's the only reason the are great. Other schools UGA, OSU, LSU, Texas have huge athletic budgets and even bigger Alumni budgets (err bags). Yet somehow those schools have only one 1 ring or less during Saban's time at Bama while he has ripped off seven. (also odds on favorite to win number eight this year).
They spent the most in the pre NIL era overall, and did so with absolute impunity. The NCAA was their personal shield.

All of the support staff and investment in the program would have been significantly less valuable if they had to play by the same rules as almost every other school.

Saban is about as honorable as a broker with a TARDIS who goes back twenty years and makes heavy investments in Apple, Google, and Facebook. What a genius! How could he have possible known?! No wait, he cheated.

Agreed especially when you look at Texas

It’s definitely a combination of a lot of things but ya know it’s a message board so it has to be either Saban is the GOAT or they cheat for everything, no one between
If Mario could somehow offer players under the table deals in the NIL era that guaranteed each player $20-$30M a year, and knew that the NCAA would never investigate, we would get our pick of the Top 50 players each year. Couple that infusion of #1 class with great support and good coaching, and Miami would be winning national championships in short order.

Eventually, after a number of years of this, the external appearance of Miami being a
automatic path to a championship and an NFL factory would bring in Top 50 kids at lower cost, because at that point perception became reality and everyone wants to go to what they perceive as the top school.

That’s exactly what Alabama did.

Winner Winner

Advertisement
Different set of rules bro, different set of rules....That's all they got

If Mario could somehow offer players under the table deals in the NIL era that guaranteed each player $20-$30M a year, and knew that the NCAA would never investigate, we would get our pick of the Top 50 players each year. Couple that infusion of #1 class with great support and good coaching, and Miami would be winning national championships in short order.

Eventually, after a number of years of this, the external appearance of Miami being a
automatic path to a championship and an NFL factory would bring in Top 50 kids at lower cost, because at that point perception became reality and everyone wants to go to what they perceive as the top school.

That’s exactly what Alabama did.
I mean we would likely be even more dominant if we followed that plan since it’s Miami vs Tuscaloosa as a destination spot

But yes well said

Give me 10 top 75 players a year and I could average 5 1st rounders too. Saban himself has said he’s not the greatest X & O’s coach, but he’s the best recruiter. The whole program was built on cheating to land the best players, by any means. From there it’s built into also having former NFL head coaches on staff and a 200 person support staff. Saban is a good coach. Let’s not act like he’s god though when he’s had every advantage possible given to him.

No, you couldn't. There is recruiting and then there is developing. How many 5 star and top 75 kids have we failed to develop over the years? The major investment into the program goes a long way too, but to be in charge of a machine that has barely regressed over his tenure is impressive. I think he's a major prick and is full of crap caring about anything other than himself but he's still good at what he does

You’re excluding the biggest advantage Saban has had. His chancellor at LSU (Emmert) is the one who makes/enforces the rules. They’re pals. Anyone with half a brain could’ve found hundreds of violations at Bama since Saban has been there. Their kids flaunt $ and cars on social media for gods sake. Nothing has ever come close to happening. On top of that they’ve bent every rule in the book. Saban hired a massive support staff where each player basically has their personal coach. They have a church that pays kids tuition so that they can take more than 25 kids per cycle. It isn’t just the programs full support that has made Saban what he is. He’s played with a foot up on everyone else because he’s untouchable and can do whatever he wants.

That doesn’t fully take away from Saban as a coach. The dude rules with an iron fist and has found a way to manage a lot of moving parts, despite the massive egos. He’s built a monster. To say he did it while playing by the rules is having your head buried in the sand.

Advertisement
No, you couldn't. There is recruiting and then there is developing. How many 5 star and top 75 kids have we failed to develop over the years? The major investment into the program goes a long way too, but to be in charge of a machine that has barely regressed over his tenure is impressive. I think he's a major prick and is full of crap caring about anything other than himself but he's still good at what he does
I agree with you and you’re right, I couldn’t. There are a number of coaches that probably could though. Bama has plenty of 5 star/top 75 kids bust too. They just have so many that turn into studs that it gets overshadowed. It’s a numbers game. If you pull 10 top kids per cycles then you’re more likely to turn kids into 1st rounders.

Advertisement
Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back