Corey Raymond inks new deal at LSU

Oh I absolutely get it. Quality of life (meaning not constantly moving the family), job security, and great pay are good reasons to be happy and content where you are.

I just know this fan base always like to throw his name out for being a DC candidate here and thinks he would make for a great one if and when he gets the opportunity. Just interesting that LSU passes over him for DC position but in our fanbase he is an automatic take as a DC.

Miami has a DC as its HC. LSU doesn't. Diaz could offer the DC job to anyone in title only and they don't have to be qualified to run the D and call plays.

Diaz chose to hire his buddy Baker who doesn't impact recruiting and is a clear downgrade as DC, enough so that Diaz had to become "more hands on" midway through the year. It's a total misallocation of resources that never made sense.

^ look at Oklahoma's staff as an example of how to build a staff when your HC is also a coordinator. Note how Riley doesn't have an OC - he has an AHC and 2 co-OCs who are glorified position coaches that excel at their jobs recruiting and onfield.

Advertisement

That's a real nice salary and they probably had some extra cash laying around that was earmarked for Brady but I also think there's a misconception around here about how much SEC assistants are getting paid. It kinda goes back to when Luigi bolted to Bama for an assumed payday that really wasn't and probably even past that.

I guarantee if you quizzed the average CIS SEC slurper that they'd be at least $200k off per year too high on what they think some guys are getting vs what they really are.

Miami has a DC as its HC. LSU doesn't. Diaz could offer the DC job to anyone in title only and they don't have to be qualified to run the D and call plays.

Diaz chose to hire his buddy Baker who doesn't impact recruiting and is a clear downgrade as DC, enough so that Diaz had to become "more hands on" midway through the year. It's a total misallocation of resources that never made sense.

^ look at Oklahoma's staff as an example of how to build a staff when your HC is also a coordinator. Note how Riley doesn't have an OC - he has an AHC and 2 co-OCs who are glorified position coaches that excel at their jobs recruiting and onfield.

lol I’m well aware of how staffs are structured when the HC calls plays on offense or defense. You could have just used thstaff under Mark Richt as example with Thomas Brown as the OC.

Diaz is not using that model and has chose to let his coordinators call the plays and be actual coordinators. Even when Diaz got more hands midway through the year he didn’t take the play calling from Baker.

I’m not saying that he couldn’t or shouldn’t implement that model, There are teams around the country that have success either way. Look at Saban prior to this year or Urban they both are considered elite on their sides of the ball but they let their coordinators handle the play calling.

I get what you're saying but Saban and Meyer are elite recruiters and program builders. Diaz is not so if he wants to provide value to his own team and give himself the best shot at success he needs to be the DC.

Bruh you don't have to convince me that Diaz is a good DC, he brought us back to respectability and aggression on that side of the ball when we absolutely needed it. However I think he can be successful either way. I like Diaz and I think he is the right coach that will get us back to being a competitive team consistently.

But with most of this fan base Diaz can't win either way. Our defense has been consistently in the top Echelon statistically every year but you still get those who say it's not good vs top teams or nit pick a game and say it underperformed. Some say Diaz defense is gimmicky and so on and so on. The knowledgeable fans know that no defense is going to stop every opponent, every game and that even a great defense can have a bad day.

And even though I think Diaz is a better coordinator than Baker and has a better feel for defensive and situational play calling, we had a good defense last year and the statistics back that up. Baker is not some inexperienced DC who has not called a defense before, so maybe he just needed sometime to adjust coming from G5 to P5 in understanding the nuances and differences. I'm not all the way out on Baker because the numbers say he did good enough if the offense had brought any sort of consistency to the equation.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back