Coral Gables Regional Thread

Advertisement
You really want me to hold your hand and take you through every negative overaction...better yet, look in the mirror.

It's not negative overreaction. The University of Miami baseball team has not advanced past the regional round for four straight years, and with a chance to end that streak against ineffective and benched pitchers from an Ivy League team, managed to get two singles all night long.

Given the circumstances, it might be the single worst performance by this program in the last 25 years. But we're fine.

People who think that the reaction to that is negative and over the top are the people who are happy as pie that we made it to a regional and that we have milkshake races to make the night more fun.

Have to agree with Queenofspades on this one. It wasn't just THAT they lost but HOW they lost. That could have been way worse than 3-0. Looking at just one game it doesn't mean much, but when you take into consideration with the Regionals last year and that abysmal performance against TT last year it looks like a trend. A bad one. I would think most coaches would be coaching for their jobs tonight. Luckily for Jim he coaches at the U, where mediocrity and underachievment are celebrated by the administration like this was rec department ball and everyone gets a participation medal. I hope they snap out of it and win tonight, but I am not very confident. This team should have no problems making to Omaha given all the talent. Anything less is a dissapointing season. Period.

I would think most coaches would be coaching for their jobs tonight. Luckily for Jim he coaches at the U, where mediocrity and underachievment are celebrated by the administration like this was rec department ball and everyone gets a participation medal.

Nailed it. When you send out a mass email saying that winning is "not what makes our student-athletes champions", you tell everyone that no one is going to be held accountable for performance.

Advertisement
So if Miami comes out and wins tonight then what?

Then they will have done what they were supposed to do .... win their Regional. That's the way ot works. WIN your games and keep your job. LOSE your games and face scrutiny and job insecurity ... at most places anyway.

This was clearly the easiest draw in the tourney. As soon as I saw it, I told Franchise that someone in the NCAA wants to keep his boy, Morris, employed.

Advertisement
Not to give Morris a pass because i get alot of the critisism of him but what could he possibly have done yesterday? That game was on the players and lack of hitting and the kids need to realize it and learn from that game. They were obviously pressing way to much at the plate.

do you think in a real athletic program, Morris would be managing for his job today?

THIS!!!!!!!! Why the **** does this damned school even have sports teams when the athletic department is run the way it is? I am so sick of this wimpy BS garbage every damned season since 2001! Half of the time I can't even stand to watch these pathetic teams with their damned useless coaching staffs that would NEVER be hired at ANY other Division 1 program in the country! Besides basketball, WE SUCK AT EVERYTHING SO WHY NOT JUST SHUTTER THESE DAMNED EMBARRASSING PROGRAMS AND THEIR AWFUL, USELESS COACHING STAFFS?!! If this administration is unwilling to make the changes necessary to make these teams watchable and competitive why aren't the alumni, at the very least, not allowed to do something about it?????? Why do we have to just accept this chit year after year?

FREAKING COLUMBIA???!!!! THIS IS THE LAST STRAW! Good effing Lord!

Last edited:
Miami is a -720 favorite today with a total of 11.5. Another place has Miami -3.5 runs.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Not to give Morris a pass because i get alot of the critisism of him but what could he possibly have done yesterday? That game was on the players and lack of hitting and the kids need to realize it and learn from that game. They were obviously pressing way to much at the plate.

I was at the game and I didn't see Morris do anything! Just kept the same vanilla approach even in the later innings when it was obvious we needed some kind of spark. No huddling or meetings in the dugout, no changing out hitters who were obviously struggling, no attempted bunts for hits, I don't recall a hit and run called all night (granted we didn't have a lot of opportunities) but I do seem to recall hitting into several double plays. I just didn't see him try anything different to shake them up over the entire course of the game. IMO, no coaching at all, it was just on cruise control all night, right up to the point they hit that bridge abutment.

Advertisement

I was at the game and I didn't see Morris do anything! Just kept the same vanilla approach even in the later innings when it was obvious we needed some kind of spark. No huddling or meetings in the dugout, no changing out hitters who were obviously struggling, no attempted bunts for hits, I don't recall a hit and run called all night (granted we didn't have a lot of opportunities) but I do seem to recall hitting into several double plays. I just didn't see him try anything different to shake them up over the entire course of the game. IMO, no coaching at all, it was just on cruise control all night, right up to the point they hit that bridge abutment.

Too much bunting and small ball is 1 of his biggest critisisms but now he doesnt do it and your condeming him? Not defending him just saying sometimes theres just games like this at all levels of baseball that the oposing pitcher just have your #. Move on from it come out today and get the bats going again. Its a new day gotta move on from last game. I know everybody wants to place blame but it was a team loss. Win today and that loss means zero. 2 wins from Omaha.

Well, I'm all for patience at the plate....but there has been too much of that lately allowing pitchers to get up 0-2 or 1-2 and basically throw whatever trash they want with us chasing....that isn't all on the players I assure you. The collective WE have been guilty of some gut wrenching decisions that kill a hot hitting team.

UM

Too much bunting and small ball is 1 of his biggest critisisms but now he doesnt do it and your condeming him? Not defending him just saying sometimes theres just games like this at all levels of baseball that the oposing pitcher just have your #. Move on from it come out today and get the bats going again. Its a new day gotta move on from last game. I know everybody wants to place blame but it was a team loss. Win today and that loss means zero. 2 wins from Omaha.

My complaint has nothing to do with bunting or not bunting, it has everything to do with not making any changes to what you're doing when what you're doing isn't working. In other words, coaching! I believe it was Einstein who said "the definition of insanity is continuing to do the same thing while expecting different results". In this case it appears to be the definition of a coach who isn't interested in coaching anymore.

I bought steaks and raspberry lemonade. We always win with that combo. Go canes.

Advertisement
Back