Coral Gables Regional Thread

Advertisement
Stay home next weekend Antwan. No one wants a pathetic fan like you at the game. We know you're rooting for VCU to win the Super Regional. Last night Morris was a bum because we didnt hit for one game and today he is a great coach because we did.

They were patient tonight, they took what the pitchers gave them, it looked like last game they were rushing eager to end the series and move on, today they were calm, let pitches come in and made the right swings

They need to do the same for VCU, their pitchers have a lot of talent they need to work the count and be patient

Advertisement
Stay home next weekend Antwan. No one wants a pathetic fan like you at the game. We know you're rooting for VCU to win the Super Regional. Last night Morris was a bum because we didnt hit for one game and today he is a great coach because we did.

No, he's not a great coach. You're the only guy who defends every coach. You want to put up a statue of him because he won a regional for the first time in five years.

So if Miami comes out and wins tonight then what?

Then we advance to the Super Regional against the winner of Dallas Baptist and Virginia Commonwealth. You can find the bracket at www.ncaa.com.

Wait, what? I thought Oregon State was gonna beat us? I'm confused almighty Queen.

Of course you're confused. You're 20 years old and you think an important task is to argue over the cafeteria contract at a Student Government meeting.

They were patient tonight, they took what the pitchers gave them, it looked like last game they were rushing eager to end the series and move on, today they were calm, let pitches come in and made the right swings

They need to do the same for VCU, their pitchers have a lot of talent they need to work the count and be patient

Their pitchers are really, really good right now. Hopefully that has been a product of their schedule.

Advertisement
Eusebio should have been safe but i'll take the run given the dropped fly ball

We're lucky he didn't get thrown out after slamming his helmet. Umpire followed him until #3 stepped in.
Yep--and that was a shoddy piece of umping there. As an umpire, you make the calls right or wrong, and move on. One thing you DO NOT do (that umps do far too often) is go looking for a call to make, i.e. - following a frustrated player/coach looking for an altercation in which said player or coach blows up...and you then throw them out for blowing up when you provoked them further.

I'll give Morris credit for keeping that from happening...he saw it and nipped it in the bud.

No, he's not a great coach. You're the only guy who defends every coach. You want to put up a statue of him because he won a regional for the first time in five years.
This...

...and, the 1st inning was a PERFECT example of exactly what some of us were frustrated about Morris not doing on Sunday night...he changed it up, and made something happen. That sac bunt by Barr moved Eusebio over, Isky knocked him in. Then, we allowed Collins/Thompson/Kennedy to hit. Collins struck out, Thompson walked, and Kennedy got it rolling with a big 2 RBI double. And we never looked back.

TO BE CLEAR - the credit going to Morris isn't "for bunting" in that situation. The credit to Morris was for taking a slightly different approach offensively early on. Not a single Columbian infielder saw that bunt from Barr coming. ****, he almost legged it out for a single. We caught them sleeping, and then that put them off balance for really the rest of the night because we started hitting left and right.

The double-steal in the 4th when we were already up 11-0 was kind of "dirty" by baseball standards of etiquette, but it was ballsy and extended the inning out even further to really put the game out of reach. I don't know if Morris called that, or if Nick Belmonte lucked up and said something intelligent on the telecast...that they went on their own. I do think he called it, and it paid off.

These are the things that you can do to affect the game as a manager. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. What folks (including me) were killing Morris about on Sunday night was not pressing ANY buttons at all. Not trying to start runners, hit & run, lay down a bunt with the D playing back, etc...he just stood in the dugout w/arms crossed. Last night, he showed what can be done when you try to make things happen, and you have superior talent. Most of the time--it pays off.

I've always been one to kick Morris in the nuts when he gets it wrong, and I've always said I would most certainly give him credit when he got it right. Last night--he got it right. Now...he needs to keep it up. I don't care if the opponent is Columbia/VCU, or Florida/F$U...keep it up.

Their pitchers are really, really good right now. Hopefully that has been a product of their schedule.

The RPI and offensive ranks of the teams played during that stretch average out to 139th in RPI and 146th in runs scored.

That is a weighted number so since they played Dallas Baptist 3 times during that stretch their overall rankings were added three times and Oregon St, who was only played 1x during that stretch, numbers were only added once. This gives us a more accurate average, now based on those numbers it shows they have played some very middle of the road teams.

Though they did just beat Oregon St and Dallas Baptist 3/4 games, Dallas Baptist has the 24th best offense and Oregon St 84th.

Cane or no Cane you slam your helmet down automatic ejection. If it wasnt a regional championship game he gets tossed.

Advertisement

This...

...and, the 1st inning was a PERFECT example of exactly what some of us were frustrated about Morris not doing on Sunday night...he changed it up, and made something happen. That sac bunt by Barr moved Eusebio over, Isky knocked him in. Then, we allowed Collins/Thompson/Kennedy to hit. Collins struck out, Thompson walked, and Kennedy got it rolling with a big 2 RBI double. And we never looked back.

TO BE CLEAR - the credit going to Morris isn't "for bunting" in that situation. The credit to Morris was for taking a slightly different approach offensively early on. Not a single Columbian infielder saw that bunt from Barr coming. ****, he almost legged it out for a single. We caught them sleeping, and then that put them off balance for really the rest of the night because we started hitting left and right.

The double-steal in the 4th when we were already up 11-0 was kind of "dirty" by baseball standards of etiquette, but it was ballsy and extended the inning out even further to really put the game out of reach. I don't know if Morris called that, or if Nick Belmonte lucked up and said something intelligent on the telecast...that they went on their own. I do think he called it, and it paid off.

These are the things that you can do to affect the game as a manager. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. What folks (including me) were killing Morris about on Sunday night was not pressing ANY buttons at all. Not trying to start runners, hit & run, lay down a bunt with the D playing back, etc...he just stood in the dugout w/arms crossed. Last night, he showed what can be done when you try to make things happen, and you have superior talent. Most of the time--it pays off.

I've always been one to kick Morris in the nuts when he gets it wrong, and I've always said I would most certainly give him credit when he got it right. Last night--he got it right. Now...he needs to keep it up. I don't care if the opponent is Columbia/VCU, or Florida/F$U...keep it up.

God, I was so sick of hearing the commentators whining about the inappropriate double steal up 11-0. Nothing bush league there except chosen perspective.

This is not MLB....period. 11-0 IS NO GUARANTEE IN COLLEGE BASEBALL...FACT. No need to point to anything else except the multiple 20+ runs scored by various squads this year. The next play, we get a runner home from 3rd on a fly out. If that was it...who can argue getting guys into scoring position for that extra run?

The fact that we SHOULD easily win up 11-0 is irrelevant, especially when the entire season rides on the game. Morris did the right thing and basically emptied the bench...no need to quote JJ here.

UM

God, I was so sick of hearing the commentators whining about the inappropriate double steal up 11-0. Nothing bush league there except chosen perspective.

This is not MLB....period. 11-0 IS NO GUARANTEE IN COLLEGE BASEBALL...FACT. No need to point to anything else except the multiple 20+ runs scored by various squads this year. The next play, we get a runner home from 3rd on a fly out. If that was it...who can argue getting guys into scoring position for that extra run?

The fact that we SHOULD easily win up 11-0 is irrelevant, especially when the entire season rides on the game. Morris did the right thing and basically emptied the bench...no need to quote JJ here.

UM
I agree, keep the pedal down. Always.

However, being a player/coach on both sides of a game like that one, I got pretty peeved when it was clear a team I had or was on couldn't do much against a better opponent--and then the other team decided to do something like that. Nothing wrong with it, I just understand the feeling. It's human nature to feel like it's a slight against you and your team, when really--it's just the other team playing hard and keeping the pressure on until the win is assured.

The best way to avoid that is to keep playing hard when you're down, no matter the deficit. You may not keep from losing, but you'll likely keep from getting "shown up".

****--that seemed to be what Columbia needed...it ****ed them off enough to fight back and get 3 runs. Plus...that play came in the 4th of NINE innings. Plenty can happen in 5 innings' worth of baseball.

Advertisement
I couldn't agree more with the keep the pedal to the floor philosophy. If the delicate little snowflakes are upset about high scores then institute a mercy rule. Otherwise, STFU and play ball!

Advertisement
Back