Cool Butch Davis article - Talks Miami

Don't fool yourselves this all goes back to Donna she did not want the football program to be bigger than the school and she slowly worked her magic. Now she's trying to undo her damage I just hope it's not to late!

Advertisement
I believe Davis' version. Note how specific it was, with the 20/80. Specifics generally attach to accuracy. Besides, it hardly requires Paul Dee to dispute Davis' version. Plenty of others are still very much alive and nearby who would have competent memories and reason to quarrel.

Fear is a killer. Sounds like the university was petrified, using past examples to justify fear. If so, they designed their own faltering decade.

Why weren't we scared to move into a bland venue nearly an hour from campus, one that will naturally impact recruiting? That would have frightened the heck out of me. Still does. I visited the recruiting forum briefly and had to laugh at the assertions in one thread that Miami is nearest the best recruits, and therefore is the top job in terms of recruiting. Not with our venue. If kids in this area grew up attending games at a frenzied on-campus venue, they would be conditioned to go to Miami before they reached middle school. Instead, it's a natural regulator. No matter how Golden fares, it's not what it would be with a competent stadium situation.

Anyway, Butch Davis regrets leaving partially because he ended up with Tim Couch. Tim Couch was already there. How could a guy with a nose for talent voluntarily walk into a situation in which the franchise had aligned with such a flawed quarterback? I was on Las Vegas radio pre draft shows and said I wouldn't take Tim Couch in the 5th round, with that crank up delivery and weak arm.

Professional liars like Davis always include details like the 20/80 nonsense. He also left out the 100 times that he and his agent jerked UM around and held them up for raises.

So y'all fools with the banners and the bot run the man off. Smh

Yeah. Another sucker buying Davis's lies. Read the SI article above. It completely refutes all of Davis's lies especially the part where he claimed he would have accepted an 80/80 or a 50/50 buyout/payoff deal.

As Jim Mandich once said, "I wouldn't believe a word out of Butch Davis's mouth even if his tongue was notarized. ".

Butch is a lying *******. But i would take that lying ******* in a heartbeat to lead this program. The guy knows how to run a program.

"A significant amount of the first-rounders and other top players we recruited were actually not high-profile recruits," Davis said. "At Miami, it was rare if we were ranked in the top 20 in recruiting. We'd get a Santana Moss that no one else offered a scholarship to or a Reggie Wayne or an Ed Reed who we only had to beat Tulane or Grambling or Nicholls State for. LSU didn't want them. Jeremy Shockey was a junior college guy from Ada, Okla., that nobody really wanted. Clinton Portis was right in Florida's backyard and Steve Spurrier said he wasn't good enough to play at Florida. Portis' only other offer was to play cornerback at Mississippi State. We were doing a great job of evaluating. The kids knew they could trust us. We had a situation where we were providing a great academic environment where we were graduating about 80 percent of our players typically. And they knew we were running a system where we could develop them into the best football players they could be and the draft sold itself."

Butch goes out and gets 2/3 star projects like Ed Reed, Wayne, Portis, Shockey.

Golden goes out and gets projects like Dequan Ivory, Corey King, Thurston Armbrister, and Danny Dillard.

SMH.

don't think, Ed Reed, Reggie or Clinton where projects...they might not have been 5 star guys, but in todays world with their HS stats they would been 4 or 5 star,,,

Ed Reed was so close to going to Tulane it was stupid, Ed Pagano got Ed reed to Miami not Butch, and Curtis Johnson got Reggie...

Tulane's coach at the time was Tommy Bowden. Dude was a slick used car salesman. He's #2 at Tulane was Rich Rodriguez. They only stayed 2 years in New Orleans, but if they would have stayed longer, they could have built something special. Or if Tulane had hired Rodruiguez to replace Bowden when he left for Clemson after leading Tulane to an 11-0 season instead of Chris ******* Scelfo:ohlord:

Advertisement
Never heard this before. Sheds a different light on Davis for me. Great recruiter and manager, yet somewhat limited as a game day coach. His reluctance to let the team score on FAMU I believe it was in 2000 cost us the shot at Oklahoma over FSU. But wow, now I wonder had he stayed the same as I wonder what would have been had Howard stayed or JJ stayed.

We didn't play FAMU in 2000. The I-AA team we played was McNeese State, but that was in the opener and had nothing to do with the BCS. And we beat them 61-14. The game people point to was the Louisiana Tech game. We only beat them 42-31. Now, to be fair, that wasn't a case of not running up the score, we just ****ed around with a 3-9 team and only beat them by 11 (not that the game was ever really in doubt...I think they scored a TD really late to make it 11, but still too close for how good we were, and how bad they were). There were some other games, like Syracuse, where we only won 26-0, even though that was a road game and they were 6-5. He called off the dogs in that one. I remember the one game where he "tried" to run up the score was the last game against Boston College. We won 52-6. It was impressive, they were 7-5 and a bowl team, but it was too little too late. FSU ran up the score on everyone that year and the computers liked them more.

The comment about working a year for free tells you all you need to know. He was planning on negotiating a sweetheart deal and then leaving a year later after his ship.

Butch was a **** of a recruiter, but an honest, trust worthy man, he was not.

Never heard this before. Sheds a different light on Davis for me. Great recruiter and manager, yet somewhat limited as a game day coach. His reluctance to let the team score on FAMU I believe it was in 2000 cost us the shot at Oklahoma over FSU. But wow, now I wonder had he stayed the same as I wonder what would have been had Howard stayed or JJ stayed.

We didn't play FAMU in 2000. The I-AA team we played was McNeese State, but that was in the opener and had nothing to do with the BCS. And we beat them 61-14. The game people point to was the Louisiana Tech game. We only beat them 42-31. Now, to be fair, that wasn't a case of not running up the score, we just ****ed around with a 3-9 team and only beat them by 11 (not that the game was ever really in doubt...I think they scored a TD really late to make it 11, but still too close for how good we were, and how bad they were). There were some other games, like Syracuse, where we only won 26-0, even though that was a road game and they were 6-5. He called off the dogs in that one. I remember the one game where he "tried" to run up the score was the last game against Boston College. We won 52-6. It was impressive, they were 7-5 and a bowl team, but it was too little too late. FSU ran up the score on everyone that year and the computers liked them more.

Dont forget the BCS computer team changed the formula in the middle of the season that just happened to favor FSU. I cant remember the exact details, but they made the fix to the glitch following the season. What a horrid thing the BCS ever was.

Advertisement
Back