Cool Butch Davis article - Talks Miami

I floated the idea about a month ago of Butch coming in as a Director of Player Personnel position like Kevin Steele at Alabama. Most posters seemed to think too many bridges have been burned.

I disagree. If you want to win, you rebuild them and move forward.

This University doesn't want that anymore

Advertisement
back then the internet wasnt as strong in recruiting. there is film and clips everywhere now. easier to discover talent.

No fan of Paul Dee and he's not here to defend himself, but find Butch's 20-80 explanation hard to fully accept, especially if they'd already agreed on salary figures. They may have started out there, but that stuff is routinely negotiated. A solid reporter wouldn't just jot down Butch's word as gospel. Presumably there are still folks around the university capable of revisiting the situation - president's office, university counsel, athletic department.
I was just going to post the point about how odd it is of Butch to finally give details once Dee is dead and gone. He's not around anymore to call him out for lying.

I floated the idea about a month ago of Butch coming in as a Director of Player Personnel position like Kevin Steele at Alabama. Most posters seemed to think too many bridges have been burned.

I disagree. If you want to win, you rebuild them and move forward.

This University doesn't want that anymore

The University doesn't want to win anymore? What an idiotic statement.

Advertisement
****, dude.

that 80-20 **** is a bit retarded. if UM fires him, they only pay him 20% of the contract. if he quits, he has to buy out 80% of the contract.

BOT got "burned" by howard and jimmy leaving, so they overcompensate and **** up negotiations with butch. once they realize they ****ed up butch, they overcompensate back again and **** up with extending coker and shannon.

what a ****show.

He wouldn't have been paying the 80%, the team that he left for would end up paying the 80% to buy him out.

Butch always was a weasel. That 80/20 bit was just his attempt to manipulate people into feeling sorry for him.

If he was so sought after, a pro team could have easily paid the buyout. UM was totally correct to negotiate this based on the number of times they had been burned. Plus he was an awful gameday coach. LOL at the revisionist history.

back then the internet wasnt as strong in recruiting. there is film and clips everywhere now. easier to discover talent.

Which would fit Butch even better...he IS the best talent evaluator in football. Right up there with Parcells and Gruden.

Don't want to be the party pooper ----- BUT, how many fans were busy building floats for the "Butch Davis is God Parade" after his third year here?

Yeah, me neither. Patience is a virtue that I have sorely lacked for most of my life. I'm trying now.

Advertisement
You guys are taking Davis at his word. That's your first mistake. He's a notorious liar. And, of course, Paul Dee isn't around to dispute anything he said.

Yup, it makes the idiots who ran the school look like the real ******** they are. So now we find out it wasn't B fault at all, it was the dumb asses running the school. Just makes me hate colleges even more, to bad the sports have to be tied to them scamming ****holes.
I wish I never read that.

Butch Davis **** I miss him as our HC. Davis and players like Portis, Taylor, Reed, Wayne **** that was the best Miami coach that I've ever seen...That quote from Butch is depressing because of the crap that we've had to watch the past decade Coker, Shannon, and Golden produce

I wish we had Davis as our coach we could go as high as $3 mill. a year

I believe Davis' version. Note how specific it was, with the 20/80. Specifics generally attach to accuracy. Besides, it hardly requires Paul Dee to dispute Davis' version. Plenty of others are still very much alive and nearby who would have competent memories and reason to quarrel.

Fear is a killer. Sounds like the university was petrified, using past examples to justify fear. If so, they designed their own faltering decade.

Why weren't we scared to move into a bland venue nearly an hour from campus, one that will naturally impact recruiting? That would have frightened the heck out of me. Still does. I visited the recruiting forum briefly and had to laugh at the assertions in one thread that Miami is nearest the best recruits, and therefore is the top job in terms of recruiting. Not with our venue. If kids in this area grew up attending games at a frenzied on-campus venue, they would be conditioned to go to Miami before they reached middle school. Instead, it's a natural regulator. No matter how Golden fares, it's not what it would be with a competent stadium situation.

Anyway, Butch Davis regrets leaving partially because he ended up with Tim Couch. Tim Couch was already there. How could a guy with a nose for talent voluntarily walk into a situation in which the franchise had aligned with such a flawed quarterback? I was on Las Vegas radio pre draft shows and said I wouldn't take Tim Couch in the 5th round, with that crank up delivery and weak arm.

Advertisement
lmbo at people believing that weasel. Do people forget he was still under contract for three more seasons left on his contract that was paying him 900k, he could've played out the contract a little longer like he had been telling people he would (that ***** lied to his own staff, players, recruits, everyone). **** Cleveland gave him 15 over 5 and he hadn't even won **** yet, freaking Spurrier got 25 over 5 just two years later. Davis coming off back to back MNC would have been offered that easily.

Also I love Butch trying to tell only part of the contract negotiotions in a way that makes it seem like he got slighted. The buyout was always the "excuse" him and his agent gave all the while he was flirting with a new job every **** week. Someone that wanted to stay at Miami the way he claimed wouldn't have made that big of a fuss about the buyout clause since Miami was going to garuantee his contract 100% if he left, but he forgot to mention that part in the article. Dude was just waiting for the perfect job to open and was ****ed Miami knew his game.

This is from a SI article that came out after the weasel left

http://si.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1021742/1/index.htm

There was friction from the start of those contract talks. Relations between Davis and Miami athletic director Paul Dee had become strained in the previous six months, in part over Davis's concern that at $850,000 a year he was underpaid. "Butch listens to what other coaches tell him they're making, and he believes them," Dee told SI in early November. Shortly after that, Davis hired Demoff. Their first request was for a six-year extension. Dee refused, offering five. "That was the first red flag," says Davis.

Negotiations plodded forward through the Sugar Bowl. On Jan. 5 both parties agreed to a base compensation of $8.5 million over five years, plus some incentive bonuses—all of which would have put Davis among the three highest-paid college football coaches in the nation. Two issues remained unresolved: the buyout if Davis took another job, and the guaranteed compensation if Davis was fired. Miami wanted Davis to pay a $2.5 million buyout if he left after the first year, and the school would pay him $5 million (of the remaining $6.8 million) if he was fired following the first season. (The buyout would decrease by $500,000 and the compensation by $1 million in each succeeding year.) Davis and Demoff found both clauses unacceptable.

Large buyout riders are not uncommon for sought-after college coaches, although $2.5 million would have been extraordinary. When Dennis Franchione left TCU for Alabama in December, he was charged a $1 million buyout and has a $1 million buyout in his Alabama contract. Virginia Tech's Frank Beamer has an $850,000 buyout. Dee defends Miami's demand for a stiff buyout clause by saying, "If we were going to make the investment that we were prepared to make, we expected reciprocity."

The parties exchanged offers in the days that followed. On Jan. 24, 13 days after Cleveland dismissed Chris Palmer as coach and put Davis on its short list, Miami offered to fully guarantee Davis's contract in the event that he was fired, and reduced the buyout to 20% of his remaining salary at the time of departure, approximately $1.37 million after the first year. (It galled Davis that he might have to work for $1.7 million and then pay back nearly that much to leave, a scenario that he compared to working a year for nothing.) Demoff offered four scenarios to Miami, including a 100-10 deal, in which Davis would have a 100% guaranteed contract and owe 10% of his remaining salary as buyout, roughly $680,000 after the first year. Miami's counter, on Jan. 27, was to drop the guarantee on the contract to 90% and reduce the buyout from 20% to 15%, which would have been $1.02 million after the first year.

At that point Demoff felt Miami was no longer bargaining in good faith. He recommended that Davis stop negotiating with Miami and told the coach that there was still a small window in which to work with the Browns, who had courted Davis 11 days earlier and been rebuffed. Scarcely 24 hours later Davis was Cleveland's coach.

Miami, meanwhile, suffered predictably. Davis fired parting shots. "After all the things I'd done in six years, you'd think they could have done something more for me," he said. Dee counterpunched. "We all helped in the process [of rebuilding this program], not any one person," he said. Several Miami players marched to Dee's office and implored him to hire the Hurricanes' 54-year-old offensive coordinator, Larry Coker. "Keep it in the family," said Dorsey. Dee instead tried to hire Wisconsin coach Barry Alvarez, who turned him down and took a raise from the Badgers. Some recruits waffled on their oral commitments, including blue-chip defensive end Darrius Swain of Decatur, Ga., but at week's end it appeared that most of them would still sign with the Hurricanes. Finally, Miami's reputation as a stepping-stone job ( Jimmy Johnson to the Dallas Cowboys, Dennis Erickson to the Seattle Seahawks, Davis to Cleveland) was enhanced.

Last Saturday brought order when Dee at last promoted Coker, a loyal foot soldier who has been a football coach for 31 years, at five colleges and two high schools, including the last six seasons under Davis. He had been a head coach only at the high school level, for nine years in Oklahoma from 1970 to '78. Two days after Davis's departure Coker talked wistfully, between desperate recruiting calls, about almost getting named the coach at Tulsa in 1983 and about being in line for the job at Oklahoma State in the mid-'80s, when Pat Jones nearly left. "Never happened," Coker said. "I'm not bitter about that, but I am focused and very confident in my abilities."

He inherits a program that bears no resemblance to the mess that Davis took over; instead, it has as much talent as any in the country. Although two assistants left with Davis, six others stayed on with Coker. The returning players will draw strength from a familiar system, a comfort that they will need to soothe their feelings of betrayal. "I've learned a lot from this week," Shockey, the tight end, says. "Don't take anything for granted, trust nobody. Pretty simple."

From there, the healing begins.

Butch Davis can spin a yarn and that's all I've got to say about that. Dee, if he could, would roll over in his grave at those allegations God rest his soul. But, alas...

Once a weasel, always a weasel.

Once again, LOL at the revisionist history on this board. Apparently, now he is considered trustworthy by some.

Advertisement
"A significant amount of the first-rounders and other top players we recruited were actually not high-profile recruits," Davis said. "At Miami, it was rare if we were ranked in the top 20 in recruiting. We'd get a Santana Moss that no one else offered a scholarship to or a Reggie Wayne or an Ed Reed who we only had to beat Tulane or Grambling or Nicholls State for. LSU didn't want them. Jeremy Shockey was a junior college guy from Ada, Okla., that nobody really wanted. Clinton Portis was right in Florida's backyard and Steve Spurrier said he wasn't good enough to play at Florida. Portis' only other offer was to play cornerback at Mississippi State. We were doing a great job of evaluating. The kids knew they could trust us. We had a situation where we were providing a great academic environment where we were graduating about 80 percent of our players typically. And they knew we were running a system where we could develop them into the best football players they could be and the draft sold itself."

Butch goes out and gets 2/3 star projects like Ed Reed, Wayne, Portis, Shockey.

Golden goes out and gets projects like Dequan Ivory, Corey King, Thurston Armbrister, and Danny Dillard.

SMH.

don't think, Ed Reed, Reggie or Clinton where projects...they might not have been 5 star guys, but in todays world with their HS stats they would been 4 or 5 star,,,

Ed Reed was so close to going to Tulane it was stupid, Ed Pagano got Ed reed to Miami not Butch, and Curtis Johnson got Reggie...

That wasn't that long ago. Reed was a 1-2 star kid with barely any decent offers. The other two were recruited a little better. Chuck Pagano and CJ were on Butch's staff. Those who belittle what he did here, don't have a clue. The list of 1-3 star kids they recuited who were awesome players is very long. The 4 and 5 stars they recruited could play two. Butch Davis was the GOAT evaluator of recruits.

Davis is a lying, cheating, weaselly, narcissistic, step on his Mother's face just to get ahead, piece of human **** - just like every great college football coach in history.

The same ******** that tried to run him off in 1997 are the same ******** that point to his recruiting and cry about the current staff.

More banners! SMH.

Advertisement
Back