Cool Butch Davis article - Talks Miami

Wow does ne ever want the Texas Job or what...

Good luck Butch.....

LOL I think he just want to get back into coaching. The UT job will have a domino affect around CFB. Butch wants his name out there. I love how every stechy thing hes done gets cleared up and he's not to blame for anything.

Advertisement
Let him be whatever Cristobal was going to be. Asst Head Coach and Recruiting Coordinator, or something

Damnit mane

USF should have hired Butch. I'm sure he inquired about the Arkansas job since he played there. FAU, would be wise to look at Butch. John Blake "aka Black Santa" fuched up a great opportunity for the whole coaching staff.

This is VERY interesting - if you were around and remember, Butch absolutely confirmed that he was staying - and as a result Schiano took the Rutgers job whereas he was the likely prince in waiting for the U job. As a result I've always hated Butch for leaving the U in the lurch. This revelation changes that for me. The U screwed itself up...assuming all this is true and it wasn't just the $.

Advertisement
"A significant amount of the first-rounders and other top players we recruited were actually not high-profile recruits," Davis said. "At Miami, it was rare if we were ranked in the top 20 in recruiting. We'd get a Santana Moss that no one else offered a scholarship to or a Reggie Wayne or an Ed Reed who we only had to beat Tulane or Grambling or Nicholls State for. LSU didn't want them. Jeremy Shockey was a junior college guy from Ada, Okla., that nobody really wanted. Clinton Portis was right in Florida's backyard and Steve Spurrier said he wasn't good enough to play at Florida. Portis' only other offer was to play cornerback at Mississippi State. We were doing a great job of evaluating. The kids knew they could trust us. We had a situation where we were providing a great academic environment where we were graduating about 80 percent of our players typically. And they knew we were running a system where we could develop them into the best football players they could be and the draft sold itself."

Butch goes out and gets 2/3 star projects like Ed Reed, Wayne, Portis, Shockey.

Golden goes out and gets projects like Dequan Ivory, Corey King, Thurston Armbrister, and Danny Dillard.

SMH.

239.jpg

Advertisement
wow i can't believe we lost butch davis over how much they'd have to pay him if he and UM parted ways... wow... I'm pretty ****ed, because this is the first time I heard of that.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Never heard this before. Sheds a different light on Davis for me. Great recruiter and manager, yet somewhat limited as a game day coach. His reluctance to let the team score on FAMU I believe it was in 2000 cost us the shot at Oklahoma over FSU. But wow, now I wonder had he stayed the same as I wonder what would have been had Howard stayed or JJ stayed.

He's too old now. Miami screwed up badly twice, first in 2001 when they screwed him on contract demands, and even worse in 2006 when they decided to hire based on social implications instead of actual coaching ability.

No fan of Paul Dee and he's not here to defend himself, but find Butch's 20-80 explanation hard to fully accept, especially if they'd already agreed on salary figures. They may have started out there, but that stuff is routinely negotiated. A solid reporter wouldn't just jot down Butch's word as gospel. Presumably there are still folks around the university capable of revisiting the situation - president's office, university counsel, athletic department.

I floated the idea about a month ago of Butch coming in as a Director of Player Personnel position like Kevin Steele at Alabama. Most posters seemed to think too many bridges have been burned.

I disagree. If you want to win, you rebuild them and move forward.

Advertisement
Back